Topic: Feature suggestions

I'll post few features here up for discussion. I feel that these features support each others to some extent so I'll try to focus them in the same place. I haven't gone through all the feature topics (almost none tbh) so sorry if re-posted ideas.

Feature 1: Mines

I suggest that in order to create more tactical in depth especially for PvP but also for PvE we would introduce land mines. Mines could serve few different purposes that I can think top of my head. They could disable/slow down movement for certain period of time or inflict damage either in area-of-effect (fragment mine) or heavy single target damage (heavy armor mine).

For this feature we could introduce few skills where agents could specialize. Following skills come to my mind.

Skill: Mine deployment
Each level in the skill adds 1 to maximum deployable mines.

Skill: Mine concealing
Each level decreases mine visibility by 1.

Anti-skills:

Skill: Minesweeping
Level 1 enables use of T1 mine sweeper modules
Level 3 enables use of T2 mine sweeper modules
Level 5 enables use of T3 mine sweeper modules
Level 8 enables use of T4 mine sweeper modules

Skill :Mine detection
Each level adds to 1 to detection of mines

Modules

Mine deployment module : Enables deployment of mines. Each tier adds 10% to mine concealing.
Mine scanner module (passive): Each tier adds 10% to detection of mines
Minesweeper module (or could introduce even robots specialized for mine sweeping): Each level reduces 10% time required for deactivating mine.

Re: Feature suggestions

Reserved

Container lock picking/hacking vs security measurements

I suggest that all containers could be hacked with right modules and skills. Container hacking could take 10 minutes with level 1 hacking skill, tier 1 hacking module and tier 1 container. Each level in skill would reduce the time required to hack the container by one minute, and each tier in the module would reduce the time required by percentage amount (10%).

Containers could be protected against hacking attempts by purchasing higher tier containers (player made). Hacking container would also always trigger PvP flag in alpha islands, and well in betas the issue would solve itself by accustomed ways.

3 (edited by Kent Law 2011-06-29 22:00:42)

Deployable cameras

This would be for the scouts to spent some EP on and specialize. I would suggest that players would be able to deploy cameras on the ground that would give live feed for certain angle from the point deployed. Cameras could be naturally targeted and destroyed by anyone.

Heavy cameras: Higher armor, more visible
Hidden cameras: Low armor, less visible

Cameras would work similar to radar window, except it would provide live feed (lower quality pictures, or captions?) of the area where the camera is deployed. Higher tier cameras would naturally provide more accurate pictures.

Landmark scanners

Work pretty much same as cameras but would give remote information about landmarks. Will write more on the idea smile

Interesting concept. Could be neat.

Reserved

Mines

How close can they be deployed to each other and how long do they stay on the terrain?

What is the activation range, that is are they proximity or contact mines?

i'd enjoy laser mines, for chokepoints only. area denial mines are annoying, as they can be easily overdone until the minefield is so large, that that is all the defense someone ever needs.

laser mines could also work in mag strips yarr

/witty sig

Well I was thinking about that, but make the mines work like real life mines (to the extent I remember from my military experience) so that when one explodes close enough to another one it triggers the other one too. This way too stacked mine field could be completely destroyed with single Arkhe.

Make them mines have high masking and being able to destroyed by gunfire and I am all for this idea (+AOE damage). + there could be demob mines/ ecm mines.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Norrdec yeah that was the idea. As to the proximity triggered or contact mines both could exists with different benefits. Proximity mine would be impossible defuse but would deal (much?) lower dmg than contact mines which could be defused and collected smile

Oh yeah sorry, I didn't read your post with full attention!

12 (edited by Sabre906 2011-07-01 16:42:52)

Good god, please... no mines.

I remember when mines were in Eve. In a pvp focused mmo, players can only be active for a short while. Any defense on choke points that stays 24/7 will be overused and abused, no matter how gimped you make them. Trust me, if this ever get implemented, those things will be everywhere, and you won't be able to go 2 steps without stepping on one.

Mines would need to have a timer on them, different models from 30 minutes to 8 hours. Short duration mines would be proximity, while longer would be contact mines; using Ralphs addtional description means that you can 'reuse' the longer time, more expensive mines by defusing and reapplying them.

Proximity/short time mines would also be self-adjusting for spacing.

Mines should not have IFF, that is anyone wandering into the mine field, friend or foe, can detonate mines.

NPC's should probably be immune though, or make mines too expensive to be used effciently for farming.

Arga wrote:

Mines would need to have a timer on them, different models from 30 minutes to 8 hours. Short duration mines would be proximity, while longer would be contact mines; using Ralphs addtional description means that you can 'reuse' the longer time, more expensive mines by defusing and reapplying them.

Proximity/short time mines would also be self-adjusting for spacing.

Mines should not have IFF, that is anyone wandering into the mine field, friend or foe, can detonate mines.

NPC's should probably be immune though, or make mines too expensive to be used effciently for farming.

Mines could be doable but it would need some serious limits to prevent abuse.

- New skills needed to deploy, no new skills needed to remove.  Removal could be done by any properly fit mech in the game but deployment would need something special.

- No 8 hour mines - as stated, hundreds of mines for 8 hours would be ridiculous and shut down PvP areas.  10 or so players could deploy that many fairly quickly.

- Reuse the exploding mech code.  Base the mines upon armor values and use those as the explosion radius.  There's a chance they'd chain but only mines could hit other mines - both being underground.

- As such, make them big.  1/2 the volume of the mech they are designed to destroy.  Also make the dispersion +1 to the sized mech they are aimed at - as in 4 dispersion, 3 surface area ... 8 disperson, 7 surface area.  A chance that it won't go off the first time you go through.  Larger ones would not necessarily take out smaller mechs which prevents the "cheap mine sweeper" approach of running them in first.  Mines *might* go off but no guarantees.

This allows running a big, heavily armored mech through a field, with repairers on them as a "fast clear" approach but also enables smaller crews to suddenly find themselves in the middle of a mine field "on accident".

Deployment, detection & removal: 

- New deployment module to place them that requires skills.  Higher skills required to place larger mines, 10% "life" increase per level.  So if mines last 30 min, they could last up to an hour, etc.

- Use mining laser style cycle times for the deployment.  3 cycles or 3 times the cycle needed to deploy a mine - dig, plant & arm, cover it up.  SLOW careful process.  If interrupted, you failed at getting the mine installed and it's gone.

- Add a bonus to the high cargo capacity industrial mechs for deploying them but no other mechs. 5% faster deployment per industrial mech skill.

- For detection: Geoscanners would allow you to find them via scripts - with all the variables involved.

- For removal:  It wouldn't be just shooting - you'd need a type of script on a mining laser to get them out, just like any other type of mining.  Removal/destruction at 1 cycle per mine.

-- No loot on removal.  They are an expendable like ammo - once armed, they have been "fired".

--------------------------
Other thoughts:

Limit them to beta island use only.  No FOF logic - walk into your own mine - BOOM!

Cost wise - cheap.  The mines themselves would be little more than heavy cargo containers.  Arming them would cost a bit.

Require the use of plasma to arm them.  The type of plasma used will determine the type of damage the mine does. 

Arming with plasma would be done at the time the mine is deployed so the deploying ship would need enough capacity to pack it with plasma and the mines.   Make it 5 to 10 times the amount you could ever get from an NPC of the "size class" the mine is designed as.

This allows "mines" to be made and sold, then armed in different ways.  A mine field might have all 1 type or it might be mix & match.  ("market analysis" style protection)

I other words, you could mix & match plasma to make different types of mines "on the fly".

This, with the above, would make farming NPC's impractical but possible.
- You'd need 3 times a mining cycle with an industrial to place a mine, close enough to the NPC's to kite them into it. 
- The size of the mines would require the use of at least 1 industrial and you'd need plasma up front to arm them.

Cost wise, time wise, general volume wise - it would be very impractical to do this, especially when you cannot recover the mines.  Though it would have its uses - finding a lone miner out on a beta island - they may be mining but did they mine the area?  wink

Players need time to deploy mines for intrusions, well before the event as many groups show up early.

Mines are mostly defensive, inovative tactical offense use is OK, but if they can't serve as deterents as access to an area they're just a gimick.

Some mechanic to allow usefulness for intrusion but prevent over-saturation of PVP area would need to be devised for mines to be implemented.

Make a limit of mines in an area, link it with interference? If there is too many of them, a random one can explode until there is an x of them in an area.