Topic: [Req] Regional NPC Infestations

This is a spur of the moment idea and is by no means fully thought out.  Do not criticize that it wont work unless you have some suggestion on how it could work, or ideas to further it's goal.

I was just reading a post about when the new islands were released and how the players had to clear out a lot of roaming spawns before the islands could be inhabited as normal.  This sounds like a very fun group outing and I'm sad that I missed it.

It would be cool if something similar to this happened on a regional level when there is a lack of players in that particular reason for a certain period of time.  Even if an outpost in that region is owned by a corp, if no one is on the ground in that region (docked in an outpost wouldnt count) for a certain period of time a roaming spawn might pop up and roam around said region.  Over time more could spawn up to a maximum.  This would simulate the natives trying to recover their land and/or simply building up a population because no one was there to kill them off.

This would give an unknown element to traveling to areas you don't normally visit.  It may be inhabited or visited frequently by players and you could run into players, or it could be filled with roaming NPC spawns.

These spawns wouldn't have to be anything tougher than whats around it, but could be larger numbers of them, or wander specifically from spawn to spawn so you're more likely to encounter them in larger numbers.

I'm still torn if this should apply to alpha islands, but I think it could still work as the alphas are naturally more populated and less likely to have empty regions for long periods of time.  The amount of time needed could also be made higher on alphas.

->You just lost The Game<-

Re: [Req] Regional NPC Infestations

I made a similar suggestion some time ago - The Nian NPC factions should act like three entities, constantly trying to recapture their land.

if thers a lack of pvp on beta islands due to low population, the npc presence will increase, giving PvE guys something to do with their Combat-gear -> and at the same time increasing the combat targets for PvP guys (while the pvp guys also have the threat of NPCs falling into their back)

Ontop of that, the NPCs on beta should more act like coordinated Player roams, and also sport similar fitted robots (the lower the difference between pve and pvp is, the more player you can find on both sides)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Problem with fitting a NPC with a shield is they "have no accu" so you could never "kill the sheild"... Other than that I'm all for have tons of random mobs spawning solo or group it would add variety to an ever dulling playing field.

FFS please keep your IMBA posts in the proper forum

Simply increasing the number of roaming groups and the number of bots in said roams would be pretty cool.

Guns nButter wrote:

Simply increasing the number of roaming groups and the number of bots in said roams would be pretty cool.

Yeah, I agree.  Having the constant threat of encountering a roaming spawn even when farming NPCs or mining on alpha greatly increases the enjoyment of the game, at least for me.  Any way to remove the monotony and repetition in the game is a major plus, and having to avoid/kill a roaming spawn every now and then will pull you out of your coma like state when mining or farming NPCs.

The only issue with increasing the roaming spawns and having more of them happen is the chance that one spawns directly on top of you and you are hopeless to defend against it.  This is where the regions/player detection would eliminate that chance.

Even if the roaming spawns didnt stay in their starting region, but they simply had to spawn inside of a region that currently has no players in it then starts running around the island would be a big improvement.  Have the roaming paths run through each region on the island and have a few spawn points in every region along that path where they could spawn when the conditions are right.

6 (edited by Guns nButter 2011-06-21 05:16:18)

Neoxx wrote:
Guns nButter wrote:

Yeah, I agree.  Having the constant threat of encountering a roaming spawn even when farming NPCs or mining on alpha greatly increases the enjoyment of the game, at least for me.  Any way to remove the monotony and repetition in the game is a major plus, and having to avoid/kill a roaming spawn every now and then will pull you out of your coma like state when mining or farming NPCs.

The only issue with increasing the roaming spawns and having more of them happen is the chance that one spawns directly on top of you and you are hopeless to defend against it.  This is where the regions/player detection would eliminate that chance.

Even if the roaming spawns didnt stay in their starting region, but they simply had to spawn inside of a region that currently has no players in it then starts running around the island would be a big improvement.  Have the roaming paths run through each region on the island and have a few spawn points in every region along that path where they could spawn when the conditions are right.

1) All roams spawn on the coast
2) There are no resources or worthwhile spawns on the coast (normally).

Problem solved?

edit: See my thread in general. If this starts happening more often I think the devs already won.

Guns nButter wrote:

1) All roams spawn on the coast
2) There are no resources or worthwhile spawns on the coast (normally).

Problem solved?

edit: See my thread in general. If this starts happening more often I think the devs already won.

So they are swimming in from the ocean?  Thats odd... I thought they were electrified....