Topic: Memory leak

There's memory leak connected to farming NPCs. After about an hour or so of heavy farming (I guess 200-300 npc kills) shooting sound disappears and fps starts dropping like crazy. So I guess it's connected either with significant amount of npcs exploding/cans appearing/something of similar sort. Quite annoying when you have to restart the client each hour or so of farming.

Re: Memory leak

console: openprofiler and monitor the "cache" tab

screenshots of that one could perhaps help.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I just wanted to say type openprofiler into the console, but I'd suggest watching the "terrainelements" tab instead smile

It would be great if you could make a screenshot of it before the slowdowns and after them (preferably around the same place if possible).

Will post in couple hours when I go to farm.

I'll post this as well.  Usually takes about an hour before my fps is unbearable.  Especially one shotting tons of bots very very quickly makes this especially frustrating.  Stay tuned.

Oh yeah, and using low detail robots doesnt help this at all, if that info even helps tongue

Oddly enough, FPS seems to affect how your inputs are handled, because during low FPS its really hard to double tap auto-run.

->You just lost The Game<-

6 (edited by Neoxx 2011-06-18 00:46:46)

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8220/p … elapse.jpg

The spikes in the green line are every time I killed a mob, so its apparently something to do with what goes on when a robot dies.  The explosion, the wreckage, the terrain decal, the sound?  My bet is on the decal because of how slowly this line is ascending.  Maybe its being turned off so it doesnt show on the ground, but it never gets cleared from memory.

Also, people have experienced sound problems in a similar fashion.  The weapon sounds will completely stop after a certain period of time and not come back until you restart the client.

7 (edited by Saha 2011-06-18 09:18:15)

Exactly the same graphs as Neoxx for me too. Just my yellow graph is stable low.

Thanks, that's some very usable info. I'm looking into it.

This has already been reported to the devs and is know as "That beam issue".
What's happening (Mostly with missiles) is every missed shot does not fade until a limit is reached or you leave the area. Missiles NEVER time out and other beams and effects time out if you go out of range of them.

It's been the case for a good few months but it's never been fixed. I'm suprised the devs STILL don't all know about the issue. The issue is made far worse by being in a squad as you can see your allies shooting but not seen what they're shooting at.

Alexander actually an override to force deletion of stray bullets after a minute went out with yesterdays patch to see if that would change anything. As the problem still persists it turns out the issue had nothing to do with missiles or missing bullets. I did find another problem now tho and it'll probably be fixed today - not sure when a client will go out, but I'll urge a hotfix if this has been solved.

Update: The issue has been found, fixed, and the fix will be out with the next client update. Thanks for the info, it helped find the problem a lot.

DEV BoyC wrote:

Update: The issue has been found, fixed, and the fix will be out with the next client update. Thanks for the info, it helped find the problem a lot.

Awesome!  Glad I could help!