Topic: Battlegrounds in Perpetuum? Are you crazy?

Well... I joined M2S. It was a given that I'm not very clear in dah head.

But I was wondering... Can't we have automatic tournament PvP feature?
Some kind of "training wheels" for new players that wants to start learning the ropes of PvP.

The basis of it would go like that:

1) Broadcast message:
A message to the whole server would warn everyone that a Championship is about to begin, and people have 30min to head toward the nearest outpost.

- Any outpost would be fine. I will explain later why.

2) A new menu would appear in the terminal, and people would be able to select a league to register. And select a premade bot from a list. (A free bot, just for the tournament, so no-one really loose anything of value, and everyone plays fair with the same constrains.)

As for the leagues:
Let's say we could have a beginner 2v2 lightbots league. Free to join, reward 10k Nic for each battle won.
An Intermediate league: Light/Light Ewar/Assault,   50k to register, the money is placed in a common pool and the winner of the tournament wins all.
A Veteran, no limit league, 100k to register... etc.

Alternatively, to make things even more fun, we could reward the winners with some "random containers" than might carry the same content as Artifact scanning stashes.
let's say the 3rd place gets level 1 stashes
the 2nd place gets level 2 stashes
the 1st place gets level 3 stashes

3) Once you registered to a League and picked a pre-made bot from the available list, you wait until the 30min delay is complete, and then all players from the same league will be teleported/connected to the selected bots located on the arena's bleachers.

The first Match will then starts 5min later, teleporting the 2 teams in the arena, and a new match will begin every 15min.

Fights will be limited to 10min max. If no-one dies the match will be considered a loss for both teams.
(depending on the fights, we might want to accelerate the system, or automatically start the next match 5min after a winner is declared.)

This can either be a direct elimination match, or a round-robin. Depending on how-long we want the tournament to last.

Winners gets the prizes.

4) The lore:

You might probably know that we are humans remotely controlling robots from Earth/orbital Station/Outpost.
Anyway, the important word is "Remotely". So by staying in any terminal, nothing prevents us from running battle simulations, or other pre-made bots in a far away island.

Therefore, I don't really see any issue to have some free PvP matches located on a distant island, using disposable bots. Or we can all pretend it's just a simulation. I don't care, all I want is a fair PvP open to everyone.

My blog about MMO design:
http://mmockery.wordpress.com/

Re: Battlegrounds in Perpetuum? Are you crazy?

An arguement could be made that 'open world' pvp is difficult to find and requires patience and timing to engage.

Fixed, no-penalty PVP would most likely kill open world pvp for the above reasons, except for 'required' actions like the current intrusion and what ever else the devs finall implement; POS.

Perp would turn into Arena-online very quickly, or the wait times would be too long and players would complain about that too, and just leave.

weekly player run events are different, because its by and for players, and not a game mechanic that players would 'expect' to provide them with timely and repeatable pvp

This has no place in a sandbox.

Or tldr; Glimpse's response

5 (edited by Gaulois 2011-05-31 17:10:51)

GLiMPSE wrote:

This has no place in a sandbox.

Why not? It could provide a first PvP experience for people that are too afraid to jump into Beta.
As long as the reward isn't too big compared to the benefits of Beta and outposts, it will stays a daily/Weekly special event.

We're remotely controling bots from the future! big_smile Can't we have a training simulation program? big_smile

One of the reasons I want standard-fitted bots with things like T0-1, is to push people toward trying their own fits, get some T2+, and goes to Beta.

seems not prone enough to trolling, griefing and destruction of fun.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

It is artificial pvp that is bad for persistence. No place in a sandbox, perfect for theme parks.

Won't make it past CRM's School of Game Design.

8 (edited by Gaulois 2011-06-04 00:17:42)

Annihilator wrote:

seems not prone enough to trolling, griefing and destruction of fun.

Yeah, I think you're right. How silly of me to try to appeal to a wider audience, and try to motivate them into testing a real sandbox afterwards.
I understand the idea might seems inappropriate for this game. I won't insist.

Out of curiosity, what is a CRM's School ?

Dev CRM, one of the developers.

Does he have a School of Game Design? Or is this (most probably) a troll to mock some design choices from the devs?

Gaulois wrote:

Does he have a School of Game Design? Or is this (most probably) a troll to mock some design choices from the devs?

Perpetuum online has 4 devs if I've read correctly. Exactly 2 of them do coding for the game. CRM is one of them. Perpetuum is fracking amazing. Nuff said?

Guns nButter wrote:
Gaulois wrote:

Perpetuum online has 4 devs if I've read correctly. Exactly 2 of them do coding for the game. CRM is one of them. Perpetuum is fracking amazing. Nuff said?

dunno where you got that information, but we already had more than 4 yesterday in General Chat online.
Search for the release party topic - there you will find a picture with all DEVs

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear