Topic: Perpetuum got left out in the cold on this one..

This article just came out.

There are some really crappy half finished games on this list that Perpetuum is definitely better than.  I commented in that thread already and someone already mentioned it missing before I did.

Re: Perpetuum got left out in the cold on this one..

MMORPG.com has an issue with Perpetuum.  Its probably related to the launch era ratings boost on the site where the site's owners locked Perpetuum's hyper meter.  Its unfortunate because the game does need an influx of new players to help keep the markets going.

Gut Punch wrote:

MMORPG.com has an issue with Perpetuum.  Its probably related to the launch era ratings boost on the site where the site's owners locked Perpetuum's hyper meter.  Its unfortunate because the game does need an influx of new players to help keep the markets going.

Hmm.. I was not aware of that .. and Perpetuum has ads on there .. which is even more odd cause you know .. a lot of MMORPG.com editorials tend to favor their customers who are paying for ads (I'm looking at Rift especially).

Check out: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game … abled.html

I guess they didn't like people expressing interesting in one of the few sandbox games out there.

A lot of games weren't on that list, I doubt it had anything to do with the rating scam.

Bill Murphy is by far MMORPG's worst writer.  Some of his articles are absolute dogshit!:mad:

Gut Punch wrote:

Check out: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game … abled.html

I guess they didn't like people expressing interesting in one of the few sandbox games out there.

This was for the old hype system for games in CB. The new mmorpg rating system still works for Perpetuum.

And the reason for that post at mmorpg.com was due to a mistake I made with a post I did during CB here on the perp forums.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Stuff like that happens - our goal is to do our thing well enough so that after a certain point they won't be able to ignore us wink

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

I wouldn't be overly concerned.  MMORPG.com doesn't have a particularly good reputation.  Their staff is generally unprofessional, and their community is one of the worst I've seen.

That article should have been called "Bill Murphy's Favorite Non-Fantasy MMOs".  The fact that it has the MMORPG.com name on it, given some of the horrible games that actually made the list, makes the credibility of that site even more suspect.

There should have been a few games on that list, including Perpetuum, that weren't on there.  I can't believe he actually listed a couple of the games he did - I would personally be embarrassed to have my name attached to it.

10 (edited by Annihilator 2011-05-18 17:14:31)

lol, that somehow reminds me of the "The noob comic" ep. 350

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

11 (edited by CrepitusGoldenGoose 2011-05-18 17:45:54)

Mordaen wrote:

I wouldn't be overly concerned.  MMORPG.com doesn't have a particularly good reputation.  Their staff is generally unprofessional, and their community is one of the worst I've seen.

That article should have been called "Bill Murphy's Favorite Non-Fantasy MMOs".  The fact that it has the MMORPG.com name on it, given some of the horrible games that actually made the list, makes the credibility of that site even more suspect.

There should have been a few games on that list, including Perpetuum, that weren't on there.  I can't believe he actually listed a couple of the games he did - I would personally be embarrassed to have my name attached to it.

Well, bad reputation or not, I don't know of another site with as extensive a database of MMOs particularly with sub-forums where people can post their experiences without having whatever corporation owns the game's official forums censor them.

I personally found out about Perpetuum from their Games List before there were any ads at all.  I'm probably not alone although I know the majority of players are finding out via word of mouth in EVE.

EDIT: However, I will say nearly all their editorials are poorly veiled ads.

Don't get me wrong - it is a pretty important site for MMOs.  It's a good place to find information about a lot of games that aren't covered by some of the other sites.

Still, overall I don't believe that the work of the staff is well respected within the MMO community.  Their objectivity and integrity has been called into question on more than one occasion, for good reason.

I also believe that the forums there are considered complete garbage by many, given that they allow the population of angry, disenfranchised players to run amok.  Generates hits, though.

mmorpg.com game list is where I found Perpetuum, filtering the sci-fi genre, a few weeks after its official release.  Google search wont give you much though, unless you type game name of course, so its a good site to find new mmos I guess.

RIP PERPETUUM

14 (edited by Campana 2011-05-18 18:36:01)

Yeah, I mainly go to mmorpg.com for the games list because where else am I going to find out about new games? Except I wish they would include more filter categories, particularly ones for theme park vs sandbox, 2D vs 3D, browser vs separate client, FPS/RPG/RTS, FPV vs TPV etc, open world vs instanced.

I can't remember where I found Perpetuum...it was either mmorpg.com or via people I knew in Mortal Online.

I wouldn't ever use either their reviews or their forums as a basis to decide whether to play an MMO or not. But PO having a higher profile with them certainly wouldn't do any harm, whatever reservations people have about the quality of the journalism and the community.

Some of the columns are interesting - I really enjoyed Sanya Weathers, and was disappointed when she stopped writing for them.

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

Come to think of it, I don't remember where I found the game either. I know it wasn't MMMORPG because I don't use that site.

It was probably through gamebreaker.tv, but I know it wasn't until at least 2 weeks after launch. Specifically at the time I was looking for sandbox games with crafting systems. I had just started Eve so was also browsing the web for info on that, and somewhere Perp was likely compared to Eve so I checked it out.

16 (edited by Gaulois 2011-05-21 09:51:49)

Annihilator wrote:

lol, that somehow reminds me of the "The noob comic" ep. 350

This comic is actually a reference to some events that happened on Darkfall with Eurogamer.

The journalists played for 4 hours total time, never left the first area, and wrote a terrible article about it. (score 2/10)

This would be the equivalent of spawning in an arkhe, running to the terminal and complaining about Perpetuum being different than WoW.

The Darfall community responded maturely by trolling their forums to death, and creating a fake Guild in-game called Eurogamer.net, and proceeded then to declare war on it.
The video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NGiUHKiybY

My blog about MMO design:
http://mmockery.wordpress.com/

Darkfall, not darfall xD

I was online during this and it was really fun to see the chain reaction.

If I’m right they made a new review just after with a new journalist...

Fixed. Yeah, the second journalist didn't really enjoyed the game, and gave it a 4.
Still, he wrote a fair article. The game had many flaws at that point, and the only reason it survived was because it fills a niche market.
However, it is worth mentioning  that the game improved greatly since it's launch, much like perpetuum.

My blog about MMO design:
http://mmockery.wordpress.com/

Heh. I remember darkfall. The chick who writes The Noob was in Mercs (as was I for a short time). Everyone went ballistic when that review came out.

Gotta say. I hope someone writes a fair review about Perpetuum. Maybe RPS will give it a go if they haven't yet?

RPS has been very good to us from the early beta days. Dunno if they have reviews there but Jim did write an article about us for Eurogamer back then.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

Uncle Mo wrote:

Bill Murphy is by far MMORPG's worst writer.  Some of his articles are absolute dogshit!:mad:

Indeed. He really shouldn't be a journalist. And unfortunately they have him write many articles more than the others, and in turn has caused me not to even look at their articles at all.

I generally don't mind the others, but he is a total tool. And a new policy went into effect a little while ago to where the users aren't allowed to call one of their journalists out on their articles, or doubt their integrity publicly on their site. He is useless and a majority of his articles are called into question.