Topic: Portal 2

... Just ordered my copy, it looks like fun!

Re: Portal 2

I am resisting the urge to spoil it now.

Don't tempt me with trolling opportunities.

I should have just got the digital version off steam hmm

You still waiting for it? I got the steam version, Arga tongue

Great game. I was in fits of laughter.

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

For some reason I ordered a box version. I think it was the whole playstation offline thing that got me thinking that I didn't want to depend on steam being online, or my Internet. But there's probably some kind of DRM that requires a connection back to steam even with the boxed set...

and fed ex, just like Perp, hasn't figured out how to beam portal 2 boxed version into my mail box hmm

I watched a short play-through, and the characters are great... I love that dry gallows humor of the main AI

Minecraft players and others are probably familar with the Yoggscast on youtube, but if you havn't seen or heard of these guys doing machinima with Minecraft and other misc. videos, you should really check them out. Simon takes a little getting used to (I suggest keeping the volume sort of low) but it has this very faulty towers sort of feel, where simple things just go horribly horribly wrong in the funniest possible way. Fantastic to listen to/watch while mining.

Portal 2 wasn't as disappointing as I expected it to be. (Also, big Yogscast fan here. smile

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

Portal 2 was exciting but limited at the same time.
The storyline was compelling but puzzles were the best.
A lot of really varied puzzles but once you'd done them once there was little to no point doing them again.

I had more fun watching other people fail and do puzzles differently than I did when I played it myself. I was one of the few people playing it early and by the time the scheduled release time has come around I'd completed both Single and CO-OP modes.

Portal 2 lacks any form of challenge. Seeing the amazing physics tricks some people came up with was impressive to watch but there wasn't enough time trials or hard mode. sad

9 (edited by Arga 2011-05-26 17:10:32)

Yep, not much direct replay value, at least right away. I can probably go back to it in a few months and run it again. I didn't play portal 1, so I thought the puzzles were great. That and the story made the game go by very fast, and they succeeded in making me want more at the end, instead of thinking 'OMG I finally finished'.

Simon must have "O'god, Lewis" trademaked by now ...

Edit: What I mean, I didn't play portal 1, so having never seen the puzzle mechanics I got that same sense of 'cool' that I think made portal 1 such a hit.