1 (edited by 12oz Jesus 2011-05-17 18:52:35)

Topic: Placeable player housing/structures (ala SWG) with defenses

Roaming the beta islands with a trustry group of light bots, I envisioned a potential feature that would really enhance players' stake in controlling territory.  One of my favorite features of Star Wars Galaxies (before it was made into an arcade game) was roaming the landscape to see the dynamic and creative influences of the players as they created player communities.  Instead of a generic corp-owned station, I pictured a community of player houses and a few communal structures arranged in a defenseable layout on those picturesce rolling hills.

Of course, there were restrictions about where player structures could be placed scuh as minimum distances from public areas and such and the same should be applied in Perpetuum.  The player structures enhance the game's landscape, not take it over.   So, maximum footprints or numbers of structures could be implemented as needed or - as SWG did - left to the players' own sense of aesthetics and crowd tolerances.  I never found unwanted sprawl to be an issue in SWG.

As to Perpetuum specifically, the game would, IMO, be enhanced by a feature that was quite popular in its previous implementation and give corps and alliances an even more personal stake in defending and fighting for "homes" in which each member had a peronal touch ("I put that structure there and helped decorate/buy/etc it").  Decisions will have to be made - soliciting community input here - on whether to make these structures entirely risk-able (like a POS in Eve) in that they can be destroyed after a certain defender's grace period (like "reinforcing a POS") or whether ownership of the structure (or rather the community as each "house" wouldn't have to be shot seperately) would simply be switched if the assault were successful.  One idea is to have ownership switched to successful assaulter, but no modifications or destruction for a set amount of time (1 week? 2?) such that the losing party would have 1 more chance to mount a counter-attack.

Limited placeable defenses (turrents, shield mods, ECM) could be considered to protect communities but should represent a community investment and should suffer interference to avoid defense blobbing.  Obviously, timezone and AFK factors have to be considered scuh that communities aren't being ninja switched but it must also be the fact that rich corps/alliances can't make their bases un-assaultable.  Player bots are the backbone of the defense, not NPC mods/guns.

Anyway, for those that played SWG you probably have a good mental picture, for the rest, imagine a purchaseable item with a set footprint that can placed on the landscape away from highways and stations to call your own.  You and your corp arrange your community as you see fit and defend it in your shiny bots.  Taking your enemies "homes" away from them is even more satisfying when they placed the structure themselves and paid for some nice pink (alien) flamingos to adorn their lawns.

Drop your thoughts here and happy hunting.

Re: Placeable player housing/structures (ala SWG) with defenses

I really love player housing, but I'm a robot hmm

Unlike Eve, where you are flesh-in-a-pod, here you really are the bot, and its your spark that gets teleported back to the nearest outpost when you die. There's not getting 'out' of the bot and walking around.

POS is a high on the community's list of wants and the devs are dev'ing it smile

Pink Flamingo ... I wants!

Feel free to substitute "garage", "Spark collector", "Bot detailing bay" for "housing". 

The idea is the personal creativity and stake of the structure, not whether it has a couch or electronic spark collector inside.  (and of course, inside will just look like station does)

I like the idea.  It gives a corp or group of corps on an Island a reason to invest in the landscape.  Placing defenses around, for instance, narrow passes, or important deposits of resources (like planted and farmed Noralgis).

IIRC, this doesn't fit well with the lore.  Aren't we basically uploading ourselves from the home planet to run these bots?

POS is definetly coming to the game, it will be more strategic than 'housing' though, the type and function are still being worked on by the devs, so we don't have a lot of info, so thread about what you want to see are good.

Log out of the Syndicate network and disconnect from your spark. Then go to sleep and jack back in later.

Yay for being alive far far away remotely logged into and connected to the spark.

Some people even stop playing to sleep AND eat!  wink

How about mobile defense structures say have 3 or 4 types make them expensive to place and upkeep, they can be used to protect that really nice spot for mining rare ore, or other areas of operation. Would give a raiding force something to go after. Darkfall had something similar with Hamlets you could build defensive structures "zap towers" around the property that damaged enemy players who came into the area. They could be destroyed with battlespikes. I think this would add some excitement to the pvp.

Mung

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … ollection/

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear