Topic: pestial robot control and others ep cost question

Ok I have been wondeing this since i started playing

why are the corp  robot control extension so expensive for the little benifit they give?

is this because of the future types of robots or what? they  seems rather steep 43k ep just for levels 2 thru 8 and it offers no bonus jsut access to bigger bots is another 111k ep to max out the skill that actualy does offer bonus thats 106 days of ep for just 2 skills now given you don't need level 10 of advanced robotics to be usefull.

I just don't see why the control skill needs to be level 9 skill to get into a heavy mech it takes 49361 ep just in control skills or 34 days 6 hours 41 min acording to perpetuum planner now given chars start with 20k ep can take off roughly 14 days of that if put all 20k into thos 3 skills

this game takes alot of its ideas from eve so lets compare the progression thru ships of eve t1  vs progression thru robots

eve              noob ship > frigate > cruiser > battleship
Perpetum     noob bot > light bot > assult > mech > heavy mech

eve noob to frigate IV 1day 17 hours figate iv to cruiser iv 6d 2h 39m cruiser iv to battleship III 7d 8h 17 min at this point you can fly biggest t1 battleship with 15% bonus if want 20% total time 13d 2h 16m

perpetum noob to light 0d 0h 0m light to assult 4d 9h 11m assult to mech 6d 14h 46m mech to heavy mech 34d 6h 41m minus 20k starting ep equals 13d 4h total 21d 4h 41m

totals eve 13d 2h 16m 20% bonuses
totals per  21d 4h 41m 20% bonuses

from a new player perspective the cost of getting into a heavy mech is way to steep and is a huge downside to this game and could be one of the reasons new players don't tend to stick around.

I do understand that this game takes time but it has to be within reason a player needs to feel like there is actualy some progresion and this is just one of many skills that are just way to costly in  the begining of the game this  needs serious work progression thru the first 5 ranks of skills should be quicker and later ranks more expensive.

my sugestion is lower the rank of the corp robot control skill to allow access to larger mech sooner to speed up the progression shift the ep cost of lower levels of skills to later ranks to speed up progresion in other skills.

this would serve two purposes allow the gap between vets and new players to narrow and give new players the sense of progression on a shorter timebase and keep them in the game.

Re: pestial robot control and others ep cost question

IMO it's good the way it is. If you'd decrease the ep cost for these people would think they are ready too early. It takes a long time to be able to properly pilot and fit a heavy. The needed ep keeps noobs from failfitting, blowing up, then ragequitting.

And to shorten the time it takes to get to "endgame" or whatever you wanna call it is not the way to go about attracting new players. It should take long and it should be rewarding. This is not a downside unless you have adhd and need to be entertained with new shinies every two hours. But then the game is not for you anway.

Newbie Mentality wrote:

I WANT TO BE A BIG ROBOT BECAUSE BIGGER IS BETTER!
I DON'T NEED SUPPORTING EXTENSIONS TO USE A ROBOT BETTER BECAUSE IT IS SO BIG!

The above is an example of why the time is fine just the way it is. This game is an investment. If you want a game you can complete in a few weeks and reach a point with no further progression then there are many other games for that. I am not saying Perpetuum is balanced but asking to be in a heavy mech faster doesn't make sense without backing up what you're saying. Comparing EVE time scale to Perpetuum is probably the worst way to prove anything.

EP is a one time investment to be able to access game content. If they make a new player (The starting 20k EP will get you into an assault robot if you're smart with it) can afford 2 heavy mechs with fittings then they're probably almost ready to be in one. That's not a huge amount of NIC to get but to get it quickly is usually hard for new players.

I can however comment on the overal balance of time vs reward. At the moment once you can pilot something and use the T4 gear the extra extensions (Costing weeks of EP for a single level) make very little difference. The time between being able to do something, being good at something and being amazing at something is base of player skill progression and not extension. The hardest part is probably being able to do something rather than do it well. To that extent taking a month before the player can pilot a heavy mech at all is a long time. Rather than speed it up I'd like to see MORE content for assaults. Something that assaults do better and thus are something that players might want to stay in for a day or two longer. The difference between a mech and a heavy mech is much smaller. On average I'd say a month to be good in a mech and another month to be in a heavy mech with reasonable fittings.

Something this game lacks is variety and I'd really like to see one or two new slots added to robots that allows you to calibrate them toward a specific task and change their look a little. If you can only understand EVE examples I mean rigs.

The requirements for fittings things calibration modules would be fractionally higher piloting extensions (Maybe one level higher than to use the robot) and extensions in the area of calibration. [Link to new thread coming soon]

if this game had content geared toward smaller bots i would agree but the combat numbers just don't support it was not designed to support it.

bigger is better why pilot an assult when a mech has base armor over what an assult with plates has?

assults are just as easy to hit as mech even another mech can hit an assult with little trouble and do massive dmg when they do  it.  which makes driveing them pointless get into the bigger bot as soon as you can. more defence more firepower

then work on support skills to be honest there realy needs to be one more robot between mech and assult or between mech and heavy ie the battlecruiser size robot.

i say need a new bot cause the mech class are very flawed I drive pestial I have not had to fit a turret since noob ship I did not train for them yet the mech only has 4 launchers and 2 turrets. the turrets are wasted cause have no skill at least the gropho goes back to all launchers 6 launchers vs 4  is a huge dmg boost given the insane respawn time on npc all the extra dmg ya can do is vital.

but compareing this to eve is not a bad thing the skill system half the ui and many many other things come stragith from that game with new twists. its based off of that game they need to base the skill progression mroe like it as well because it works eve is very succussfull because when you start it you at least feel like your makeing progress are you the best at the ships you can fly no but you can fly them.

new players are not going to jump right into pvp anyway there going to look for pve content. but sadly how long can you truely be entertained droping out of station running 1km killing same t1 drones maybe a week if yoru lucky

I have been playing almost a month now on the two acconts now and best i have killed is t2 the incomeing dmg is just way to massive and the respawn rate is way to high to even attempt anything higher

5 (edited by Malakian 2011-05-16 15:13:44)

Two turret slots not used in a tyrannos are not a waste as improve your speed if they are unfit, even for pvp you dont need gun extensions; drainers, neuts, remote sensor amplifiers are great if you want to use those two slots.

New players can always jump into pvp and make a nice tackling job, but if they want to jump into their first engage in a heavy mech, then there is the problem. A week killing drones? anyone should be able to kill npc light bots and assault bots t1 or t2 just finished the 10 tutorial first assignments  with the standar fit light bot.

Assaults are broken pvp wise not mechs, I agree, but they make nice farming bots. And talking about the extensions; a just created toon can pilot a mech, then you have to work in your supporting extensions, but is this no fast enought? Racial robotic control to 10 is the top, the high end, and you need it to pilot fatties mk2, imho the cost is really nice like it goes, and worths each ep.

I hate stationhuggers and arkhebears.
M2S - Considerably more braincells than Trantor.

Spam

In retort..... This game an assault can effectively farm a lvl 3 mob with minimal skills and a Mech with minimal or assault with med skills can effectively farm a lvl 4 mob spawn.... That being said try and run a lvl 4 mission in your T1 fit battleship in eve and let me know if its not frustrating... your comparison is jaded to the fact that you can't just fly a BS in eve in 7 days and effectively do crap.... This game you can effectively be in a Mech which i would compare to a BS in EVE not sure where you point was here.

FFS please keep your IMBA posts in the proper forum

the simple answer is that the robot control extensions are gateways, the bot bonus is just a perk

8 (edited by Grim Faust 2011-05-17 20:08:40)

This isn't steve, so making a side by side comparison of how long it takes to pilot whatever is really a moot point. Im sure the dev's here have their own agenda and as much as this game is like steve, it doesn't need to emulate it 100%. Sure, it takes a month to pilot a Heavy, but so what? A month to be in the biggest bot in the game is not exactly terrible. Sure, you probably wont be able to pilot it well even then without support skills, but you really shouldn't. There needs to be a stepping path towards endgame, not just instant light to heavy. Like in any MMO, reaching the end game is only a fraction of the challenge. What's really important is how you gear and skill up once you get there. As in typical levelling MMO's like WoW, just because you're level capped doesn't mean you can compete with other people capped. The ones that spend time on getting proper equipment and specs will be the ones that flourish.

Learn how to use your bots, class by class. Figure out what they're good for. Implying you need to be in heavy's fast, else you'd  probably quit, isn't exactly a fine point to debate. I've farmed 5 bot t3/t2 assault spawns in a light. I've even taken down mech spawns with no real challenge in an assault. If you're leaning more-so to PvP though, well, don't expect to compete with other heavy's without a good time investment. If other players invest time in to their char, so can you. There's always going to be someone better than you, so trying to speed up the process is a moot point that the dev's control. If they want you in end game bots at the current rate, then that's how it is. If you think it takes too long, you missed the boat. Others followed the same rules and to me it sounds more like you just want an easier way to catch up. Sorry if that sounds snarky, but really, it's fine as is. Be patient, build up your resources and eventually you'll be where you want to be just like the rest of us.

Dadar wrote:

I have been playing almost a month now on the two acconts now and best i have killed is t2 the incomeing dmg is just way to massive and the respawn rate is way to high to even attempt anything higher

Missed this post earlier your piloting a green bot and taking damage? In PVE? Dude you ever pilot any thing but an active tank in eve? Learn to kite... If not switch to Yellow for your main PVE bot they get a natural bonus to resists. Blues kill quick, yellows kill medium, greens kill slow its just a fact. Greens cant take the beating the other 2 can because the other 2 have bonuses to armor rep and resists. Greens use the range and terrain. If you need an Example of kiting hit me up in game I'll take you to a T3 Light/Assault spawn and show you the ropes in my assault.

FFS please keep your IMBA posts in the proper forum

Much like Eve, you kinda need to let your character marinate for a month or two before you can do much beyond killing a Light Bot spawn or missions.

To me, there seems to be a large skill jump between Light Bot spawns and Light Bot + Ewar spawn because the Drainers/Neuters are vastly powerful vs. anything smaller than a Mech.

Even in PVE, speed is important, as well as locking distance/time.

Every PVE bot should have a LWF and a Sensor amp, the best tier you can afford, since your not going to be losing them very often. Even if you don't need the range of the sensor amp, the reduced locking time is important for WHEN you get ECM'd, and being able to back out quickly so you don't get demobbed and dps'd down.

Um, so yes we are saying L2P, but we're also giving suggestions to that end, GL smile

Hello Kind Sir wrote:

Much like Eve, you kinda need to let your character marinate for a month or two before you can do much beyond killing a Light Bot spawn or missions.

To me, there seems to be a large skill jump between Light Bot spawns and Light Bot + Ewar spawn because the Drainers/Neuters are vastly powerful vs. anything smaller than a Mech.

every bot i've ever lost to npcs was because of demobs/neuts/drainers in that order .. they are wicked .. and as arga points out it's all about range and lock time.  you lock first fire a couple volleys pull back break their lock without breaking yours rush in fire again repeat and you're not getting hit much or even at all.  with greens it can be even easier.  find some impassable terrain for them and sit just behind the lip of a hill and rain down on them; although i still think missile trajectory should be higher, especially on smalls and maybe a bit faster to compensate.

small missile bots can tank very well with active t4 small armor repair and propper extensions... no need for extreme kiting with them.

you can even tank trojar spawns with a waspish

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

not realy haveing touble killing now that i am in a mech am doing pretty well even killing t4 now just needed to get sismic 7 to be able to hit them.

the training time would be fine if each bot had there own role and content but sadly they don't 90% of the spawns are just hordes of fast spawning light bots few have 1 or 2 mechs not going to say all are like this as i found whole spawns of mechs on the new islands

but  even the starting content is diffucult for a new player i am almost month in and just getting to point in ep were i can handle spawns

maybe its me but a new player can't kill 5 lights in under 30 seconds and most of the mission spawns are on around 30 second spawn timer which leaves the new guy out there always fighting 5 or more bots at once all the time if the game were more popular and there were more new players out there wouldt be a problem as would be people to group with or more then likely somebody else at the spawn  but the fact is there realy isn't that many of us new guys

most that I started with have already quit due to fact they either lost there bots to the insane spawn rate lack of varity of missions or they actualy did the grind to level 2 pulled there first mission ran out lost there bot cause they got dem on them could't get away as tactics do nothin against ew could put a planet in the way and they can still hit ya. so they  quit.

I know assults can do these things i need a mech to do but everyone i have seen do them in asslut have lost there bots many times or they have a heck of alot more ep then me I know from my years in eve you can do alot with a smaller ship if you have the skills to back it up.

as for folks telling me i should drive yellow i would love to try yellow but I already pay for two accounts sadly my combat went green cause at that time green seemed to be more fun I made mistakes bought alot of skills that weren't needed so had to use my reset now its 20% pen only lose 10k ep but 10k is alot when you only have 50k so its green or bust lol.

so all and all till i got the skills i have now i spent a week driveing a mech with small mods just to have the edge but after much thought I would say it would be no problem waiting a month if was actualy more content geared for small bots  but to be honest pve content is lacking at any level in this game at the moment have high hopes for the future tho. maybe someday will see them remove presison and sesimic skill and actualy make useing a small bot in pvp worth while.

I know one of my fav roles in eve was to fly my assult ship circles around a battleship while they tried to hit me with thos big guns and miss try that here and your just a container waiting to be looted.

either way thanks for all the tips some of them I have put into practice and they are working well.

The 'trick' with spawns of 5 isn't to run in and try to kill them all.

Approach the pack slowly, you'll get the attention of some of the NPC's (further out for ewar bots), then you start backing out. Lock and fire as you retreat, don't kill NPC's close to the spawn as you risk being demobbed and killed when you run in to loot. If more than 3 follow you, then just back out till they reset.

This isn't a 'hero' game, where your bot can take on 3 or 4 other bots without dying, they have the same standard equipment and some will have better extension levels than you.

What you have going for you is their predictable behaviour.

You do not appear to be using both accounts. Your second account should be useing Energy transder and Remote Sensor Boosters to help your shooting character.
With a single account shooting and running away is needed, but with 2 accounts you can also tank most spawns.

"pve content is lacking at any level in this game"
The PvE that you have been able to do without dieing may be limited, but there are many types of spawns (ECM, demob, neuts ...), learning to defeat each type is something you have yet to master.

Dadar wrote:

not realy haveing touble killing now that i am in a mech am doing pretty well even killing t4 now just needed to get sismic 7 to be able to hit them.

seismic doesn't make it easier to hit them, missle guidance does, siesmic makes the damage that they actually take higher, look at the in game help for the formulas.

Dadar wrote:

the training time would be fine if each bot had there own role and content but sadly they don't 90% of the spawns are just hordes of fast spawning light bots few have 1 or 2 mechs not going to say all are like this as i found whole spawns of mechs on the new islands

but  even the starting content is diffucult for a new player i am almost month in and just getting to point in ep were i can handle spawns

quite true, it's not much easier at 2 months either.

Dadar wrote:

maybe its me but a new player can't kill 5 lights in under 30 seconds and most of the mission spawns are on around 30 second spawn timer which leaves the new guy out there always fighting 5 or more bots at once all the time if the game were more popular and there were more new players out there wouldt be a problem as would be people to group with or more then likely somebody else at the spawn  but the fact is there realy isn't that many of us new guys

most that I started with have already quit due to fact they either lost there bots to the insane spawn rate lack of varity of missions or they actualy did the grind to level 2 pulled there first mission ran out lost there bot cause they got dem on them could't get away as tactics do nothin against ew could put a planet in the way and they can still hit ya. so they  quit.

as arga stated, it's best to try to pull them out a couple at a time or pull them all in a line and let the ones in the back reset.

Dadar wrote:

I know assults can do these things i need a mech to do but everyone i have seen do them in asslut have lost there bots many times or they have a heck of alot more ep then me I know from my years in eve you can do alot with a smaller ship if you have the skills to back it up.

assaults are gimped hard, so are light bots, there is no comparison unless you're a swarm.

Dadar wrote:

as for folks telling me i should drive yellow i would love to try yellow but I already pay for two accounts sadly my combat went green cause at that time green seemed to be more fun I made mistakes bought alot of skills that weren't needed so had to use my reset now its 20% pen only lose 10k ep but 10k is alot when you only have 50k so its green or bust lol.

no one faction is the best, unfortunately for you, the green weapon skills don't carry over to the other 2 factions well so dedicated green pilots are pretty much stuck in green where as others can put the points in to the other color and drive both with far less EP invested.

Dadar wrote:

so all and all till i got the skills i have now i spent a week driveing a mech with small mods just to have the edge but after much thought I would say it would be no problem waiting a month if was actualy more content geared for small bots  but to be honest pve content is lacking at any level in this game at the moment have high hopes for the future tho. maybe someday will see them remove presison and sesimic skill and actualy make useing a small bot in pvp worth while.

don't hold your breath, the game is *HEAVILY* mech focused.  i use lights and assaults a lot myself for pvp but i have no delusions of grandeur, the only thing i can reliably kill are lower tier industrial bots and that's with over 3 mos of EP on a combat focused character who has points in nothing else.

Dadar wrote:

I know one of my fav roles in eve was to fly my assult ship circles around a battleship while they tried to hit me with thos big guns and miss try that here and your just a container waiting to be looted.

either way thanks for all the tips some of them I have put into practice and they are working well.

that won't work here at all, even a brand new mech pilot with crap targeting skills can murder you in a few volleys, especially if they have the range and even more especially if they get you with a demob so you can't use terrain.

your only chance to kill a mech is to have a group if you're in lights, and you better have ewar.

18 (edited by Annihilator 2011-05-19 17:35:04)

the funny fact - three month ago there was whining about "how useless mechs and heavy mechs are compared to lights and assaults", and that the game is so focused around crawler bots.

now the general statement is "assaults are useless for anything but farming lower npc spawns"

tbh, i'm fully laser specced atm, with a single level in light missile skill just to be able to equip a small launcher with smite missiles - but i am planning to raise a few more universal extensions and then going for a green assault bot. I like to use missiles from time to time, and it will take me 30 days to bring me back into an effective waspish big_smile

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

19 (edited by Grim Faust 2011-05-20 14:27:08)

The Waspish is pretty decent. I can take down t3 spawns that have 2 assaults and 3 lights with no problem. Granted I do use the terrain to my advantage, but I can farm the spot I camp all day without a hitch... other than to grab more ammo and to get my sequer to empty the field can filled with loot. I've even done it in a Castel, granted a bit slower due to lesser launchers. In general, assaults are good for fighting other assaults and lights. Don't think that because a mech is bigger it will handle lights easier. I personally would rather be in my Waspish when farming light/assault spawns as my Tyrannos gets chewed up pretty good. Mechs use meds and the hit dispersion makes the slow med missles a very bad choice for trying to clean up lights or assaults that come with some mech spawns, or plain on their own. The Waspish can also handle mechs, but, this requires a larger amount of ammo than it's worth. You'd probably spend more on the ammo used to kill a mech spawn than you'd actually get in terms of plasma/loot.

Fighting other mech's in the Tyr is pretty decent though. With 4 tunings in the head, a salvo of 4 meds can tear a new hole pretty good. I personally don't like green bots very much in terms of PvE though. They're slow rate of fire, lower accumulator and least amount of leg slots for tanking seems to put them below the other factions. PvP, no clue, I haven't done any on my combat char yet as I only just started using that account. I can imagine though that lock breakers really screw over launchers given how slow they can be.

On paper, it looks like blues would be best for PvE. They have good range, damage, speed, accum, hp and also armor rep bonus'. They're a pretty complete package and it's no surprise why people favor blues. Back in beta I remember missles being more brutal than they are now, which is why my char started green. But now, it seems missles are pretty ho-hum with their low damage and slower rate of fire.

Given how many EP you have to put in to missle exclusive extensions to make them potent, I'm really not so sure I like green as much as I used to. One would probably be better off going blue or yellow as at least their extensions are more interchangeable. But who knows, maybe green will get a little love in the future. For the time being, I probably wouldn't recommend them to anyone who doesn't have a good pool of EP to back up the extenstions needed to make a green viable.

Everyone must be playing and having fun! Not much chatter here in the forums smile

everyone must be playing other green bots then me... or else i can't explain some of the comments about them.

with the tips here I have been able to improve my combat alot so thanks to all thos who posted tips and tricks

I do still find that the spawn rate is bit excessive and unrealistic maybe I am spoiled from all the years in eve pull a mission go out to my own little pocket either by myself or with couple friends on a level 5

pull and kill but it was more like a mission when they died they did't come back at least not for few hours.

as for green bots I am in agreement there not that great ya i do pack a pretty good punch with 4 med launchers I can take down a t2 yellow light bot in 2 to 3 cycles prob is thos cycles are 10seconds long lol

watched a friend yesterday hit a t2 blue camp with his artermes or how ever its spelled and he shreded them couse he has couple weeks of ep on me but the diffrence in dmg output vs dmg income was very noticable

makes me wish i had't burend my reset as now would lose 10k ep to switch.

23 (edited by GLiMPSE 2011-05-20 15:03:30)

nevermind

Dadar wrote:

as for green bots I am in agreement there not that great ya i do pack a pretty good punch with 4 med launchers I can take down a t2 yellow light bot in 2 to 3 cycles prob is thos cycles are 10seconds long lol

watched a friend yesterday hit a t2 blue camp with his artermes or how ever its spelled and he shreded them couse he has couple weeks of ep on me but the diffrence in dmg output vs dmg income was very noticable

makes me wish i had't burend my reset as now would lose 10k ep to switch.

Im into yellow bots a couple of month now, and if i go into a blue spawn, together with a corpmate and his blue mech - often he has the better DPS against them, but has much more problems to keep his accumulator up. If I bring the wrong ammo with me, it gets even worse.
DPS wise we are almost even against blue, where i should have the advantage, but if the target has a thermal hardener, that advantage is nullified. Main difference there is the ammo costs -> i'll burn through several thousands of Laser cells, where he has only consumed half the numbers in slugs.

about your 10s cycle on medium missile launcher -> it sounds like your using only alpha strikes to farm npcs. In RTS games strategy topics this is called "overkill". Missiles and EM-Guns do great burst damage, but having a long cycletime. fire one weapon after the other and you will do less overkill and those 10s cycle are down to 2,5s.

theres also another advantage of missiles while farming npcs - you lock target 1, manuall trigger one launcher after the other while target 2 and 3 already in locking-progress.
When you see that the last fired missile will kill target 1, you primary target 2 and next missiles will continue fire on that one - only those which had already missile in air will start the cooldown.

If you try that with turrets (instant-hit-weapons) you wont get very far with it.

Missile bots are perfect for long-term npc farming for the combined advantages of:
- locktime bonus on many robots, which means only one sensor amp = more tunings
- accumulator recharge bonus. something you never have to care about - akkumulator
- high damage per shot = less ammo consumption = economical
- Arc-of-Sight = less shots into hills
- described weapon cooldown workaround = same

especially the constant long-range-dps over hills is their major advantage in pvp battles, and you can switch ON TERRAIN from long range to short range weapon.

i actualy spent couple hours chating with dev manic or how ever his names spelled about the diffrent bots and did some testing with trial accounts and have respected my mineing toon to blue.

I must say I am loveing it so suits my play style so much better I can attack and not have to play hide and seek.

the range is about perfect with my new setup not the best but can reach out to 400m which is farther then my missles hit thanks to some tips on extensions and setups

so must say am pretty happy with my combat toon still needs work but is at least fun again.

now to reset my old combat into a miner lucky the mineing is less ep intensive so loseing the 11k ep will be bearable lol