Topic: Multi-purpose char, sitting on 200k EP

I was wondering how viable it is to make a multi-purpose character. I've read several posts stating that you should stick to only one build, otherwise you're probably screwing up your character. Should a person really have 2 accounts if they want to do combat and industry?

Right now I'm in an interesing situation, sort of. I've had this account since pre-launch and I'm presently sitting on over 200,000 EP. I haven't played at all, so I really have no assets. When the game launched I created a char and probably dumped 20k EP in to him on combat related skills and then left my account alone. Don't ask me why I did this, I have no clue. At any rate his primary attributes are sitting at 25 Tac/23 Mech I think. I chose all military, with one option industry so my secondary attributes for industry were something like 10 H.I./7 R. Again, im not sure if those attributes are 100% correct as I'm not at home at the moment to double check, but it's fairly accurate.

At any rate, what's the general consensus on this sort of multi-purpose path. I'm interested in combat, but I'm also interested in acquiring my own resources and making gear that I'd viably use in combat. I'm not looking to be an unbeatable PvP char, nor am I looking to be a manufacturing giant. My mindset is more inline with being someone self-sufficient.

So would it be plausible to be a jack-of-two-trades? Are my attributes as is going to screw me over in the end? Keep in mind, I can't reset my account, so I'm wondering if my char is viable to use as is with his attributes or should I just delete him and eat the loss of 20k EP and make a char that's 30/28 in something? Such as 30/28 for pure combat and then have mining on the side, albeit with no industry attributes?

Thanks for any input.

2 (edited by Arga 2011-05-10 18:32:38)

Re: Multi-purpose char, sitting on 200k EP

The short answer is "not a good idea'.

Your primary attributes can make a big impact on skilling up after level 5. While there are no 'wasted' skill levels, it is possible to 'waste' EP by spending more then you need on a skill.

For instance, with mostly military, to get Basic Efficient Mass Production [to increase factory material efficency] to 9 is 10,610 EP while it is only 6,954 for all industrial. 3k here another 2k there, all those EP are gone, and while each one may not be alot, when you start applying that to 15 or 20 skills for it is a lot of wasted time(EP).

The other thing is vertical integration has 3 extension groups; Military, mining, and production. Which will suck up 200K so quickly you'll wonder where they all went. smile

There are some areas that overlap, where one role can spend some EP and support another. For instance many indy players get demob skills and PVP in light bots as tacklers, while combat pilots put some EP into indy bot and help transport with sequars.

It's not impossible to do all 3, but even trying to just do the 2 in indy, mining and production, really spreads out the EP and makes for very slow progress.

There is the reset also, so if you decide to go all combat or all indy, your at a good point where you don't have much to lose by resetting and picking a single path.

feel free to ask more specific questions smile

If your Planning on doing industry on the same character then your attribute choices won't *** you. But doing both on one char is stupid and you will be gimped in everything for a couple years.

Edit: Troll removed - DEV Calvin

You should have gotten a reset with the latest expansion that you can use.
Why couldn't you reset it?

Yeah, the wasted EP is what I was wondering about. As in, would being 25/23 instead of 30/28 have a really large impact on EP wasted. I could just start a second account and have an indy char and leave my main account as pure combat, but my consideration of that option is, do I really want to buy and pay for a second subscription to have 2 'pure' characters when I'm not really looking to doing industry as a full-time thing.

I understand the whole investment of focus over time, which is why I started this account with the game launch to accrue EP even though I haven't had time to play it yet. I just find it hard to swallow how bad of an option it apparently is to not pick a completely attribute-dominant char. But I guess if everyone else is doing it...

Shaedys wrote:

Wait, so I can delete my char and get back all his EP even though my account is over 45 days?

Grim Faust wrote:
Shaedys wrote:

Wait, so I can delete my char and get back all his EP even though my account is over 45 days?

Yes, new account reset option is allways open, 1 free then it decreases the Ep with 20% for each time after the first respec.

If your primary goal is PVP, reset, go all combat, and join a beta corp. This option will give you the best return on your time invested.

Yarren Rakarth wrote:

Yes, new account reset option is allways open, 1 free then it decreases the Ep with 20% for each time after the first respec.

That should probably make the decision a bit easier. I suppose I'll just delete and reset. Is it known if the 20% loss is of EP spent on your char + EP you have banked on your account, or do you just lose 20% of the EP on the char you're getting the EP back from?

I wish I had the incite about attributes when I first opened this account, I would have opened a second and let that one build EP too. Oh well, I guess I'll have to deal with having a sucky indy char for a while. On the bright side, my combat char will be pretty killy... once I can afford stuff. >.>

20% of all EP.