Topic: A new PVE experience

Hoping this has not been discussed before.

Inspired by the 'Perpetuum with spaceships game'. This is an idea I have for PVE player content which is crucial to the success of the game.

Once you accept mission a location close to terminal is shown on map of a teleport point. This will allow you to go to a small island where you can completed your assignment objective.

This teleport will only show up to you or players in squad, but other players will be able to scan it down much like artifacts. To encourage scanning loot can be stolen from other players.

In these small islands all sort of different PVE expierence can be done.

1. Mobs do not spawn again you will need to clear the area to complete mission for example.

2. Mining spots for high value ore even epitron in small quantities can be mined even in alpha missions, lets say on rare occasions.

3. short cuts to other islands in game even from one pvp area to another.

4. Once you turn in mission teleport disappears.

This will improve PVE in certain ways.

1. No need to travel long distances teleports should be close to stations.

2. More stuff to scan and steal.

3. squads and solo players will suffer less from kernal farmers.

4. Incentive for miners and producers to get epitron and other ores not closeby.

5. In essence with the idea of other players scanning your mission area game still remains a sandbox.

RIP PERPETUUM

Re: A new PVE experience

So instances and solo content?

Get out of the sandbox and go play on the slide..

3 (edited by Celebro 2011-04-28 15:23:42)

Its not an instance, anyone can go there so it part of the sandbox.

Solo play is needed to get new players in. Right now this game is a niche of a niche and not many people are interested. We need to cater for different types of play.

RIP PERPETUUM

something like that is planned, or at least was mentioned as possible concept for future implementation.

but i wouldn't expect it soon - every island has to be created manually. Unlike a space-instance, where you can use a more or less simple random genereator to spawn an asteroid belt, a few planets and perhaps some npcs installations -

this is a land based game, and it would need a really detailed algorithm to create random islands that have passable slope, plants, ground textures, NPC that are not confined in pits without exit...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I'm all for solo stuff and I agree we need more of it for the alpha dwelling consumers.

But alpha is already a pve environment there isn't a need to generate a seperate 'area' for solo missions. The mechanic of artifacts combines the elements that you are mentioning, the only difference is that the Missioner has to scan down the content and it is not just a teleport click away.

Creating missions that generate special 'mission specific' caches would be cool.

The main thing different with your suggestion is the travel time. Recall that even in Eve, it still takes a significant amount of time to exit the station, warp to and use the acceleration gate (possible more than 1), to finally arrive at the instanced area; typically far enough out that you don't aggro and to motor in.

The pieces content your suggesting are good ideas for solo play, the in-game experience for them just needs some tweaking.

we will get three more alpha islands, probably with mech content and new missions. (i'm optimistic)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I think the artifacts or data consoles actually need to have information in them, not just items. Scraps of background information that players can collect and put together to build a clearer picture of the NPC corps or Nians or whatever.

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

That would be nice, it the next group of islands was a progression, both alpha and beta. I suppose beta would be full of grand observers and alpha with mechs and 5 star assaults; not exclusively of course, just more andhigher ranks then available on the current set.

It would be a little of a let down if the new alphas just had drones and bronze lairds rolling around smile