Topic: An idea for temporary mining structures

Comments posted here http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … to-change/ prompted me to post an idea to improve mining. I started playing perpetuum because of the promise of building, but as it hasn't yet appeared, how about temporary structures?

In this case I'm thinking of deployable mining drills; you deploy them in an existing mineral field and it increases the amount of minerals in the surrounding tiles and the rate of mineral replenishment (the number of tiles it effects could be linked to tech level). These structures should be relatively expensive to produce a new money sink, last a long time (something like 8 hours basic with increasing time by tech level), but be destuctable. This would also bring something to PvP which I think is currently lacking oustside of intrusions; point defence (my pvp experience is limited so I could be wrong).

Imagine a group of rivelers around a drill on a patch of epriton. The drill should look quite big so it is visible from a distance, maybe even showing up on the structures list in the landmarks menu. The increase in minerals would allow afk mining, but would flag up where your miners are so they would have to have defenders. Rather then roaming to find a fight you would have a focus point creating squads of armoured bots defending the miners and the structure, with new offensive tactics to crack them. Obviously the mining rewards would have to be significant to justify the risk, and different types of structures for alpha and beta (think syndicate mining rights/restrictions on alpha islands).

Some of the ideas here might be better for permanent structures, but as they are probably a while away yet temorary structures could be a nice stop-gap.

Re: An idea for temporary mining structures

I like the way your thinking. A better implementation though would be the tower acting like a nexus module and providing a bonus to all the bots in the area. Having something temporary trying to effect the actual mineral distribution sounds overly complex.

The result could be made the same though. For instance if you have 1000 'cycles' worth of a mineral in one location, instead of changing it to 1200 'cycles' the module adds 20% yeild per cycle.

Of course the actual %'s of the towers could be different depending on what tier of nexus module was used as a component in the building of said tower.

Mechs are already visible from a long way off, having the tower be a structure visible on the landmark window from any distance would make it interesting to use. The more penalties, like raising risk by visibility, the less the device should cost to produce. Unless after 2 hours the tower could be picked up and moved.

Good ideas Callan!

The good thing on the structure imho is, that you could possibly mine without actually using a mining char :-) but only a hauler that picks up mined ore and drops it in your hangar.

That said it could allow combat chars to buy mining towers and let themselves defend it :-)

What about mining drones?

hmm, that reminds me of a brainstorming i had with a DEV, more then a year ago:

deployable structure that mines all ore around in a small radius - then a hauler has to emty the cargo on regular basis -> and without pw protection anyone passing by could do that.

you can see a variation of that ingame now: Noralgis incubator. The gather-cycletime is just crap on those

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear