1 (edited by MoBIoS 2011-03-28 14:52:26)

Topic: What are we fighting for?

What are we fighting for?

But seriously, I think territorial or whatever warfare needs a higher goal.
At the present time, we fight, because we can. There is no real gain with it. We roam, defend, do intrusion events, just to get some pew pew.

But would anything change, if we wouldn´t fight? Recon not. There is no real advantage for signing up for an intrusion, other than we can say, “we hold an outpost and get some tax”. The whole outpost/ intrusion mechanism is imo somewhat obsolete. Outposts can change ownership a few times, within a week. It´s all a matter of the time zone, the intrusion takes place. To hold an outpost doesn´t give you any real advantages, as of yet.

I do not know what we got in stall for us, with the island patch being introduced soon and maybe player build structures. We might find some things introduced into that direction. Like access control.

I recon, if you want to take over an outpost or a player build structure, there needs to be some effort behind it, apart from just focusing on turning up on one right time zone event. There could be more effort put into, such things as gaining sovereignty over structures/landmarks, which one needs to hold/ take over for a certain time, to proceed to the next step, of gaining  sovereignty until finally, you can take over a structure, build or destroy a structure.

This obviously is still lacking a reason, why a corporation/ alliance should want to fight, risking the loss of many NIC worth of Mechs, for one of these sovereignties. Maybe it should be rewarded with gaining territory, rich in certain resources, necessary for corps to get ahead.

Maybe NIA, with about 350 Players at peaks, is yet lacking numbers in population, to consider any of these thoughts, as fights at present, just turn out to be blobs consisting of alliances of any of the 3 islands.
No wait, it´s always 2 islands against one tongue.

I very much like what 62nd are pulling of in terms of player created content. But nevertheless, it still lacks the deeper cause of why we fight other than we want to fight.

Remedy Inc. recruiting. Schliess dich uns an. Bewerbung und Guides unter: www.remedy-inc.de
#Bad Robot
#RSI Star Citizen: REMEDY

Re: What are we fighting for?

That's the main reason.

But that is not enough. I hope there will be more valuable things at the outposts, like extensions alowing outpost to mine by itself or other upgrades. But PoS'es is what this game needs so bad. A huuuge continen where is no outposts, only PoS structures... yes...

People lost their trust in the dev's, its very hard to get back, i for one dont trust the dev's at all anymore.

Mittelwerx wrote:

People lost their trust in the dev's, its very hard to get back, i for one dont trust the dev's at all anymore.

Did I get transported to the WoW forums...

Could you clarify, are you talking about dev's not doing what they promised, favoritism, or some other moral violation?

I like roaming. That's why I fight.

I think territorial warfare burns out people, and isn't a good development. it's an awesome bit, and it adds great stuff, however I like roaming a lot.

I like what the devs are doing so far, I have plenty of trust in them. Game works, theres stuff to do, can't ask for more after I've seen how its done in other games (Mortal Online) where nothing works at all.

Tho personally I do look forward to player-built structures & territory warfare in nullsec-equivalent islands, this whole Beta outpost capture the flag at 5 AM is boring, repetitive and not attractive at all.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

I have to agree with the beta burn out theory.

Change, either dev or player generated, is important to keeping things interesting.

Pos is going to help, but so will the small things like those coming out tomorow.

PoS and player built structures will only raise the risk of defending and losing, this generally encourages less of it. Due to the dev's support of gate camping(sorry, choke point defense!), I don't forsee any defensive structures actually being built, only economic ones.

9 (edited by Arga 2011-04-11 03:24:59)

Shortly, additional land is goping to be added, which will make it much harder to camp all the possible entrances, although scouting may still work from the beta sides, it will require too many scouts to cover all the alpha porters.

This shouldn't be taken to mean that you can just wander over to beta, even with the increased beta land masses, roaming squads will still be out and about. It does mean that you can get onto beat without having to run a gate camp, though you'll need to go in numbers or blend into the terrain quickly if going solo.

Edit: we just don't have enough info yet on how and what pos is going to be, and no time frame on when it will be implemented, so how the new land mass will support pos is still unclear.

I think a game needs 2 things - something for the player as an individual to progress to - something to look forward to over each horizon, this is a bit messed up.

Also something to make people group up and enjoy group content, this; in this game seems to be working well, after many times being ganked, camped, chased and destroyed, seeing people getting more organised and beating their enemies and tasting victory is excellent.

Seeing good people who work hard at mining and industry every day, who try to keep going in the game when everyday they are threatened and abused by perverts in swarms whose only PVPing skills seem revolve around killing termis and sequer, seeing industrious people get their act together and turn the tables gives me a good feeling. Eat dirt you pirate trash.

Anyway point one; the individual side of things - I enjoyed going from an Arkhe to an Arkhe MK2 then a Yagel then Arbalest and the joy of looking forward to Kain kept me going, then next step - the heavy mechs - hmm all the progression seemed to slow to a halt, they are too expensive to make, to blow up often, the EP is enormous and slow to get - dont even start about T4 equipment an endless kernal farm that takes forever if your lucky, a corp with a 100 members feeding one guy every day for 3 months to see him leave the game and have to start again from scratch - evil. Not to mention waiting a week or more to move one extension one single notch that gives you an amazing 3% improvement, so individual player progression is a little strained, but you persist.