Topic: Remove static NPC spawns

As the NPC system evolves I believe the static NPC spawns found around every island are something we should relegate into the past. They are too easily farmable and predictable.

What I advocate is:

Removal of all static NPC spawns (with the exception of the drone spawns).

Increase the level of roaming NPC groups and make them varying sizes

Make missions use the artifact system with artefact's spawning the mobs rather than going to an existing mission spot.

2 (edited by Alexadar 2011-04-10 22:34:53)

Re: Remove static NPC spawns

We had discussion at betaforums
http://forumsbetaarchive.perpetuum-onli … animation/
But as i understanding it now: landscape, locations of teleports, missions, ore, grass locations tied around static npc spawns and each other. So devs should make a lot of work, if static spawns will be removed.
But, i signing here because i prefer dynamic and leaving world, and i will advocate on removal of many static factors in po world.

3 (edited by Annihilator 2011-04-10 23:07:07)

indeed, the static spawns should disappear with time. I made my statement about that in the "what you expect from PvE..." topic @ general discussion. (bevor it got derailed by a whiny miner)

Alexadar is right - many things would have to be changed then. Assignments need an overhaul anyway, dynamic ore-spawns are already requested and the reward for hunting them needs to be increased (lower quantity, higher quality wink)

im realistic, so i see this as a long-term goal for the game, but more important then eg. PoS system (which would have to be adjusted to roving npcs anyway)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

They should also reduce kernel rate drops by another 50% while they're at it. lol

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

The static spawns are really for the entry level agents, as the new islands open up the static spawns should be done away with. Maybe the spawns in alpha should slow so you can kill all 5 then they start to come back. Maybe at 30 second intervals.

Inner Ring Excavations
Kciredor Nov --- Mining and Industry
Skao Nov --- PVP, when i get another account.

As a further incentive for station owning you could make the station owning corp the only one able to do missions there. As all the static spawns are gone you'd need to own the station to get the tech.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Jita wrote:

As a further incentive for station owning you could make the station owning corp the only one able to do corp-specific missions there. As all the static spawns are gone you'd need to own the station to get the tech.

because i know, the devs wont like restricting it to much, i put something in wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Static Spawns:
They need to still be static but roam a much larger area. The few static spawns that won't be able to roam an area should be placed around a building that they are "Protecting" no more spawns that just poof out of nowhere. Static spawns should NOT be on the new islands and if this means changing the assignment system to be global then so be it. I'd much prefer freedom to choose which spawn to kill for an assignment with single-run storyline assignments being linked to a specific area or building spawn. This could also introduce squad assignments which are set around small NPC encampments that need to be taken out. Key triggers would cause more or less NPC's to spawn and the resulting reward would benefit the squad not just one person.

The developers never liked locking down outposts or content and given that outposts are just stepping stone it's not important yet. It would be awesome however to get income from others doing assignments from your owned outposts or perhaps create your own assignments later on for your own corporation (And others) like collecting kernels, plasma, specific items and such and paying a reward to them.

The Game

Alexander wrote:

..snip... perhaps create your own assignments later on for your own corporation (And others) like collecting kernels, plasma, specific items and such and paying a reward to them.

Wouldn't creating buy orders at the outpost be the same thing? Maybe all there needs to be is the ability to set corporate buy orders, money comes out of corp wallet and items go into corp storage.

10 (edited by Kristan Delorian 2011-04-12 06:48:17)

Non-static NPC roams will kill mining in this game.

Do you even imagine the entire island flooded with NPC roamers? You cant travel safely anymore, you cant mine without a big party of combat bots. Do not want.

Kristan Delorian wrote:

Non-static NPC roams will kill mining in this game.

Do you even imagine the entire island flooded with NPC roamers? You cant travel safely anymore, you cant mine without a big party of combat bots. Do not want.

if they implement moving npc spawns, theres not reasion why they can't also change the resource gathering process accordingly.

whats the problem? mining is static, needs you to stay a long time at the same spot to get anything usefull.
first change could be increasing the yield you get per cycle, or lower the quantity necessary to build anything. (then you dont have to stay in the same place for hours)

gimped in that situation are the macro-miner, afk-miner or 10-accounts-multiboxing-miner.

Arga wrote:
Alexander wrote:

..snip... perhaps create your own assignments later on for your own corporation (And others) like collecting kernels, plasma, specific items and such and paying a reward to them.

Wouldn't creating buy orders at the outpost be the same thing? Maybe all there needs to be is the ability to set corporate buy orders, money comes out of corp wallet and items go into corp storage.

In EVE you had combat pilots as protection to prevent miners getting killed by NPCs if they actually mine in a system where NPCs are strong enough to kill a mining ship. That could be made necessary in PO as well. Of course value of plants/ore is increasing that way.

Mining ships in EvE have ability to protect themselves using dones. Miners in PO have only 1 weapon slot that isnt equal in firepower as drones. Multiple miners in EvE have drones swarm, multiple miners in PO have firepower of 1 noob light bot.

NPCs are basically there to farm stuff from - kernals, plasma, modules, or whatever. Making them too hard to find is irritating.

So I can see two ways of doing this that makes it fun instead of irritating.

1) Have NPCs roaming as suggested in Jita's OP. Rather than having them spawned by a scanning system, have a mini game of tracking them down using a signal detection module that works by the same principle as artifact scanning. Because they are moving you also have to take their movement speeds into effect. But you could also bump into them by accident. As for miners - currently NPCs all ignore you if you don't activate any modules or move, so what they need to do is switch off their modules and sit tight until the NPCs pass. Or even have decoys that they can drop on the ground like field containers, and only work on NPCs - put them a little way away from you so when a roaming NPC gets too near the miner activates the decoy and hope the mob gets pulled in that direction.

2) Have static NPCs, but roaming a much wider area, as well as static ones spawning to protect buildings, as suggested in Alexander's post. Again, this wouldn't interfere much in with miners, but it would make the mobs a bit more dynamic.

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

I was out farming some 2nd/3rd star bots (on my alt Baph to check out the new goo drop rates) when a group of roaming mining mechs guarded by a Kain came wandering through. It took me forever to kill the Kain, Riveler, and Gargoyle but it was some of the most fun I've had in a while.

The trouble with roaming NPC's is that to have enough of them available for farming, they would have to be swarming around. When your running around in a slow bot, trying to track down the spawn points or just running down npc's on the radar uses up a lot of game time, which reduces the NIC you can earn by farming. Combat pilots just got a boost with the goo, completely removing static spawns would nerf that.

Basically I'm agreeing with Camp.

It would be OK though, if something like only 1-2nd level lights and assualts were static, but 3rd and up were roaming, as well as mechs (on alpha).

Arga wrote:

It would be OK though, if something like only 1-2nd level lights and assualts were static, but 3rd and up were roaming, as well as mechs (on alpha).

somehow i want to see it the other way round:
- mostly static mechs (guarding something)
- roaming swarms of weak smalls without to much ewar support

I was thinking more about alpha being a starter Island and the lower npc's being static for the lower assignments. Personally I would like to see more Mechs, but that's probably because I should be on beta by now.

Maybe the new set of alpha islands is reversed, roaming lights, while the starter alpha are roaming mechs.

if those new islands would be just new playgrounds, with statics spawns, static ore-deposits and terminal+2 Outposts - it wouldn't take that long.

decorating doesn't take that long either (after Siddy's demonstration during beta,  they probably bought a wacom for that)

I'm also waiting for the industrial AoE weapon that was announced more then a year ago.
that would solve the small roaming gang problem for lonesome miner big_smile

If you want more roaming NPC I have another idea for it.
Keep NPC spawns static as before, but if that spawn aint being attacked for a while, half of them or the entire spawn starts to roam and new NPC are spawning to replace them. But roaming groups wont walk around till complete destruction, they will despawn after 30-60 minutes. But if those NPCs facing NPCs of the other faction they start to fight each other.

You will have roaming NPCs, but not flooded island and static spawns to dedicated kernel or mission farm.