Topic: Why the game needs to support solo play

I was just looking at the online feed,

http://content.perpetuum-online.com/fee … h_1200.png

My game time is usually 0600 to 0800 GMT (10 to midnight PST)

Historically this is just a slow server time, as even some of the west coast people are just finishing up their sessions when I get free time.

The real topic isn't low population, its more about the game needing things for players to do solo, even players that are in corporations find themselves online when there are few to no corp members around.

This ties back into many subjects in the forums, basically anything that has to do with game content; artifact scanning, solo mining, and missions.

Player created content in sandbox games seems to be geared toward group play.

In game content then should be geared toward the solo player; those that want to work alone, those just finding friends in a new game, and those with low activity or mis-aligned corporations.

Re: Why the game needs to support solo play

more solo content = more solo encounters = more room for small number roaming.

everything higher then rank2 ewar PvE is group/veteran content.

theres also no casual group content - as the reward of farming npcs is the loot which takes sime time to share equally and the chance of fraud is high.

mining and harvesting needs a hauler... no solo content here either.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Disagree that mining and harvesting needs a hauler.  The field container with unlimited space and 10 minute timer is a blessing for miners.  In that other game you needed a dedicated hauler cause someone could steal your ore, in this game you need a sequer back at base with a t4 lwf.

Yes its more efficient with a hauler (you will be mining for 10 minutes longer per 80U).  And you might have to scan down some new fields within range.  But with teleporters next to all the bases there are a lot more areas in 5 minutes range than you think.

Doing bounties and reducing the dependency on kernel selling for profit will increase the ability to go out and solo farm NPC's for a living..

Infestation artifact sites are easily solo'ed.
Any spawn on on alpha island is easily solo'ed and some spawns on beta islands can be solo'ed too.

This said I would like to see some solo content that isn't made easier with a blob. I just don't know how to do that in an open world situation unless squads were effected by interference somehow and even that would be easy to get around.

The term anything you can do I can do better really applies to solo and squad players here. Perhaps add more infestation sites that instead of spawning just 2 or 3 NPC's create a temporary spawn for say 30 minutes of their current spawned NPC's.

The less static mobs the better. The more searchable content the better. More roaming NPC's (Weak ones) would be nice too as a counter as well. And roaming NPC's of different factions should fight each other. Not very well but they should at least shoot each other a little.

The Game

More roaming bots seems to be a recurring theme.

The artifact hunting seems to have slowed down, which is OK as the newness and excitement of opening caches wears off a little after the 100th one. It seems slower because I have been seeing less Infestation and GO spawns, and because I know I have slowed down (something to do with losing a 10M NIC bot to a pack of assaults, but that's another issue).

It was really fun taking my mech out and just running around cleaning up infestations, and I would park it nearby when I spawned a GO from a cache.

There are a lot of qualifications needed on Alex's "any spawn is easily solo'd" but in general, if you use the correct bot and fit, that's probably true. But smaller roaming, non-respawning, packs feel more exciting and should drop slightly better loot because you can't farm them.

There are some opportunities out there for hauling ore between stations for buy/sell orders. So I did that last night and I felt good about contributing something to the game instead of just running transport missions. The downside is that it paid 1/4 of what I could make on the missions in the same time frame because cargo limits and taxes (with tax skill 5).

I notice on the missions, the drop off point has a pull down menu. In the above scenerio, which was player content, if there were level 3 transport missions available at the remote outposts with 'variable' drop off points, select a destination and accept mission to that location, it would help offset costs for players that don't have a Lithus. And of course you have to use some cargo space to fullfil the assignment, so you aren't getting something for nothing.

Ideally player contracts would do that too, but that would be bypassing the tax sink, so not sure if that's going to work.

There are a lot of qualifications needed on Alex's "any spawn is easily solo'd" but in general, if you use the correct bot and fit, that's probably true. But smaller roaming, non-respawning, packs feel more exciting and should drop slightly better loot because you can't farm them.

actually, i skip every post of him that starts "its easy". Making babies is also easy...
mostly because he demonstrated low reading comprehension-skills of those posts he was replying to.

the main issue with this game is, that everything is so fixated on loot.
- Loot needs cargo space
- average john doe new player has not much cargo, speed or dps/mining efficiency
- to make a reasonable ammount of money you need lots of loot = lots of cargo
= grind, grind, grind, grind.

and if you get from regular loot something that someone else as industrial could build with same or less quality -> no or low demand of that item.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Yes, Alex's easy isn't always easy. There's a Mech/Ewar spawn outside of Hydlehorn that is just a royal pain to solo, because of the ECM and demobbing, not easy but you can get some kills. The 4 star spawn on the other side though is easy.

Cargo/bag space is the defacto MMO control for limiting income/hour.

Std loot drops would be in demand if there were new players coming in, but the vast majority of the population have moved past T1 and/or already have a container full of replacement parts.

The only thing I use the loot for is recycling, nothing that drops on alpha is worth repairing... which is just restating what you said, there's no demand.

Solo things should be catered in every game.

But the focus should lie on group and corp stuff. Worked well in most games till now wink

Backdraw with sandboxxy where crafting has a sense is that you cant go fishing and crafting with your main in the offtimes, you need a 2nd account in this case. But as long as price is "normal aaa rate" for 2 accounts, i dont care smile

Reducing the respawn rate for NPC would encourage slolo play.
A group would loose out by having to wait for a respawn, whereas a solo player will be busy all the time.

True, and with packs of 6, where 3 are ewar with ECM its hard to keep the ewar dead long enough to keep a lock on the 3 damage bots in the group.

On the other hand, once the group was broken up, it would be easy to just sit there and farm them all day at the slower repop rate.

So, maybe just a little slower on the respwans of larger groups, so if your around average applied DPS for the appropriate bot type, you should be able to kill 4/6 before the first one repops.

Make 2 different spawns, cater both ?

I think its important, even if its not said with each post, that I'm always trying to think about balanced play for all roles.

The ability to deal with different size, repawn rate, and power npcs is going to be highly dependant on the group or individual making the attempt.

So, what we are really looking for is a greater 'range' of spawnings in both the alpha and beta islands. One way to do that, is to make them roaming spawns, so they aren't just farm bait for powerful groups, but they can still be challenging for solo players.

Mouse Tiger wrote:

A group would loose out by having to wait for a respawn, whereas a solo player will be busy all the time.

How does making group play worse make solo play better?

Edit: Troll removed - DEV Calvin

15 (edited by GLiMPSE 2011-03-24 21:59:11)

Snowstyle wrote:
Mouse Tiger wrote:

Because Jesus said so...

GLiMPSE wrote:
Snowstyle wrote:
Mouse Tiger wrote:

Because Jesus said so...

Troll says so!

What I'm really hoping for on the new content islands, is that they are full of npcs.

I mean solid red blotches on your radar, locus swarm quantity, but that most of them are non-respawning.

This would be like a 1 time new Island event, where we would have to go in and clear out the Island. Alpha would be fun, but I imagine that this on a beta Island would be fantastic, where you not only have to manage a fight with dozens of NPC's, but that there are other players there trying to kill you also. There would be no docking up until the path to an outpost was cleared.

In the case of the next release, of 6 Islands, maybe they are opened up 1 every 8 hours, to give every time zone a chance to participate in an new Island event.

I would think that the native alien race would find out that the island of npc's has been wiped out and send in more bots to see what is up. As you are going the station to head out.......BAM 6 bots pop through the station looking to see what happened to their bots stationed on this island.

If you thing about it, the stations we use as of now go to certain places, so when the new islands pop up, we will be using the same stations but now the have a added destination. That would make sense in the fact that we are still finding out what these station actually do and where they go.

Have the outpost on the new island have little invasion parties that want to find out what happened. That would make for some great pve.

Inner Ring Excavations
Kciredor Nov --- Mining and Industry
Skao Nov --- PVP, when i get another account.

At the risk of sounding the Rift horn, I have to admit that the invasions are the best part of the game.

What I'm suggesting is more like the artifact scan mechanic, but instead of 1-2 bots, when you open an invasion cache, you get 20 bots, 2-3 at a time over 15 minutes.

Or something like that, Invasion I, II, III caches with increasing power and quantity.

i posted the suggestion already month ago - the game has to get rid of static spawns, impelement point of intrest with destructible defenses, and an RTS like AI for each npc faction that sends out squads and scouts to attack the human controlled installations.

kills of npc would give you a bounty, participating in defending a human controlled installation will raise your standing with the owning npc corp, and also give you money.

material costs for stuff could be lowered, as even the miner would have to watch out for npc raids. Down from quantity to quality!