1 (edited by Annihilator 2011-03-25 17:49:18)

Topic: Rock-paper-scissors elements

we have Rock-paper-scissors balancing for the three races and their weapons/resists.

theres also a kind of that system regarding small-assault-mech-heavymech, but usually it ends with "bring more numbers" = win.

missing:
- very effective defense against medium weapons, but prone to small
- very effective defense against small weapons, but prone against mediums
- effective at long range, weak at short range
- effective at short range, weak at long range (ok, thats in naturally)
- effective defense against long range attacker, prone to melee range
- effective defense against melee range attacker, prone to long range
- weapon very effective against multiple target, but only average against single target
- defense effective against multiple attacker, but only average against single attacker

example from other game:
Those Protos units with a shield that can tank siege tank fire, but can be overcome by fast fire low damge units.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Re: Rock-paper-scissors elements

Pretty much what we have atm is assaults being completely useless in any PVP role aside from lol-roaming. Inferior to mechs in speed & range & armor & just about everything else, and inferior to light bots in signal stuff.

Currently assaults are the step-child of perpetuum. sad

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Annihilator wrote:

we have Rock-paper-scissors balancing for the three races and their weapons/resists.

theres also a kind of that system regarding small-assault-mech-heavymech, but usually it ends with "bring more numbers" = win.

missing:
- very effective defense against medium weapons, but prone to small
- very effective defense against small weapons, but prone against mediums
- effective at long range, weak at short range
- effective at short range, weak at long range (ok, thats in naturally)
- effective defense against long range attacker, prone to melee range
- effective defense against melee range attacker, prone to long range

example from other game:
Those Protos units with a shield that can tank siege tank fire, but can be overcome by fast fire low damge units.

absolutely true, even if they were just a bit faster it would make a big difference

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

i know, EWAR was planned as the "scissor" against the overwhelming firepower of the heavy "paper" mechs. hence the low sensor strength on heavies.

it didnt work that way - for a long time, sensor supressing was the universal "dynamite" against any target - if you can't lock, you can't defend yourself. pair it with rock (demob) and scissors (weapon) and you got your omnipotent fit.
they got nerfed down a bit, but the nerf can be overcome by increasing number of attackers.

which brings me to another missing concept:
(edited the initial post)

Offensive weapons effective against multiple targets attacking in dense packs ->
AoE or Multitarget weapon.

while Artillery sounds fun, it may have an devestating effect on balancing if they dont implement a counter, aside from "stealth" and "speed". Same issue as sniper weapons in
the other topic.
Multi-hit weapons could do smaller damage to single targets, but hit several of them at once. (chain lightning, multishot, etc)

Because i prefer Tanking over "speed is everything" i would also like to see this:

Armor/Shielding that reflects parts of incoming damage to my sourroundings - to any valid target except the one shooting.
This would be a counter 100 vs. 1 -> and not useable while beeing in a team.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

I wonder if the weak assults is a side effect of players putting the minimal amount of EP into basic skills, that become useless after moving to a mech.

Specifically, everyone stops at 5 for basic robotic, but 10 would make the assaults 5x's as powerful with the bonus multiplier, and the same with the small weapon skills.

assaults got nerfed with removing the 10% damage bonus against mechs. they also lack speed, locking range and headslots to have a chance against small ewar or mechs.

i would say the only really usefull assault bot with maxed basic robotics, is the waspish because it has enough headslots to fit sensor amps + eccm, while having the best combat range. its just to slow. It has been the only assault i was able to farm npcs spawns with ewars and drainer/neuts while beeing alone.