1 (edited by Kristan Delorian 2011-03-25 12:18:50)

Topic: Voluntary development assistance.

As we know Avatar Creations is independent studio, but on low number of developers. They doing great with their small team, but not fast enough to fill Perpetuum with content as players have demand to it.

So idea is to let players to help devs in development for free, like doing minor stuff to let devs focus on major parts of development. I know there might be coders, 3D modelers and animators, concept artists, video editors. This will be like contest, devs tell what they need, players will do their best to help, the best work becomes a part of the game, also devs could reward the winner with game time, EP or NIC as they decide. CCP did so with ships design contest few months ago.

The best assistants could have a chance to work as freelancers and get paid.

Re: Voluntary development assistance.

+1

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't

Honestly the only side lacking the most is models and textures and that's really best left to one team or monitored by the same person to maintain.

I'm not certain but an open competition for "Model/concept for next [ITEM_NAME]" would probably be more hard work than to just have the Dev team do it themselves. The best thing the current player-base can do is to promote the game and get people trying it.

The Game

4 (edited by Kristan Delorian 2011-03-25 15:04:14)

For example I am 3D modeler and animator. I can do: robots, weapons, plants, decorative structures.

I'm not certain but an open competition for "Model/concept for next [ITEM_NAME]" would probably be more hard work than to just have the Dev team do it themselves.

Why so? Devs lose nothing. They just come and say "Do this please". And I will do it. If they dont like they do nothing and they will do their own version afterall but a bit later, if they accept it they just need to fit it for their game.

Google ryzom ring ...

I'm a big proponent of player created content, and I think that is the reason why Minecraft does so well, but content created externally by well meaning players just opens up too many worm-holes.

But maybe they can do a work-for-hire contract for something specific with players that do those things professionally; if there is any budget for that.