1 (edited by CrepitusGoldenGoose 2011-03-14 12:40:09)

Topic: Why the tutorial nerf to screw over newbies?

This game is already hurting for new players.  Taking away the 10 easiest missions in the game and 2 free bots and forcing people to start grinding faction rep in an arkhe at level 0 training missions is utterly insane.

Why was this done?  This is my 3rd account and I bought it specifically to mine and run transport with my other miner/indy guy and was sorely disappointed to find out yesterday that I wasted my money.  I thought for sure it was a bug with the patch as there have been many others and was talking to GM Oley who checked 2x and assured me this is intended behavior.

Are the devs crazy?  What's the point of screwing over the least catered to group of players and taking away the only thing they had going for them aka an easy start?  Especially considering brand new players don't know how they're being *** and even more so with the fact that they don't know that they will need high levels of diplomacy and patience to overcome this huge unnecessary obstacle to progress.  This will drive people away even more; I promise.  Your user base is not the same as a Korean grinder.

As for me I'm skipping the missions, the transport and just going straight to the mining because it's the only thing I can do without a ridiculous grind in the way and I'm sorry bought a 3rd 90 day subscription.

Re: Why the tutorial nerf to screw over newbies?

We are getting ready to introduce a 15 day free trial. We can not hand out 5-600k NIC in the tutorial mission because everyone would be farming them. There was also a huge gap in progression if you lost your light bot you received when completing the tutorial mission.

The start was however not easy, as if lost your light bot, you were left with a very hard task to complete with an Arkhe. The new missions we have introduced are designed to get from an Arkhe into a light bot.

Nerfing the tutorials out of fear of gold farmers is really sad.  At the very least I should have the choice of doing level 1 missions AND the training ones not being forced to grind rep from 0.

People who started before the Friday patch now have a big advantage over those who didn't since grinding relation rep is tedious and extremely time consuming; especially in an arkhe.  There is an even wider gap in progression now.  Notice how many more people you have begging for NIC in Help! since the patch.

As I pointed out, this is my 3rd account that I'm posting from, and even giving myself a Yagel from another account the training missions were dangerous, tedious, and still very very time consuming.  Their only benefit is they don't hurt your rep with other corps but they don't add much either.  I ran about 10 missions and was still at .04 relation with my highest, this is INSANE and very anti-newbie.

If you don't want to give people free bots anymore please at least give them lvl 1 standing so they have more choices of where to start in the game.  This is going to turn off a lot of free trials, and cause serious issues with people who sub thinking they will get some restrictions lifted.

Why can't the trading of NIC and items or whatever be restricted just on trial accounts as is done in EVERY other MMO instead of punishing everyone new including paying customers?

I'd also like to point out that the training missions don't give you anything, just small amounts of NIC.  So the high fluctuations in market prices *REALLY* hurt the newbies the most here since it's the only way they can get ammo to do the combat ones, which as I stated previously, even in an outfitted Yagel the training missions for combat are still difficult (for a non-combat character admittedly; but what newb is going to immediately open their agent profile and spend all their EP on the right skills?). 

There is no indication at character creation that to be viable at anything you must super-specialize in to a single specific area which is going to hurt even more. 

All of these things I listed before plus these = cascading failure for new players which snowballs in to mass exodus from the game.  This game needs more new players than anything else and it needs to do some hand holding for awhile before it feeds them to the alliance wolves.

You already have a 15 day trial, facebook.
Making a completely open "Try as many times as you like" trial just shows how desperate you are for new players. The game isn't ready for sudden influx's and you're still losing a lot of older players. Either get the tutorial right and be ready for an injection of people or keep trying to build up slowly and sort out why people are leaving the game.

I understand you can't give a free light robot to every new player but honestly when a noob joins and doesn't get help from another player the game is completely ruined and you want to quit. Another change like this and you'll cut off ALL new players from starting the game and it will be down to friends inviting friends.. Which has ended!

If you want to get player feedback don't always listen to what people are Q.Q'ing about. You need to come up with your own ideas. Pitch them to each other and then pitch them to the player base. Even if you make a "Buddy" system that might work better than a trial right now. The market is terrible because there is no NIC changing hands in the game. All the NIc is held by the few rich players and you don't start making a "good" sum of NIC until level 4 and 5 assignments on beta island which most players will never see because of the terrible PVP balance.

big_smile

TL;DR Bad stuff is happening.

The Game

DEV Calvin wrote:

We are getting ready to introduce a 15 day free trial. We can not hand out 5-600k NIC in the tutorial mission because everyone would be farming them. There was also a huge gap in progression if you lost your light bot you received when completing the tutorial mission.

The start was however not easy, as if lost your light bot, you were left with a very hard task to complete with an Arkhe. The new missions we have introduced are designed to get from an Arkhe into a light bot.

This is totally right. But the issue is the free trial in the first place. This attracts f2p people that just want a time filler between CBT/OBT phases in there other games, and maybe... gets about 15% retension.

The issue problem is more to do with easing that begining progression which has been hurt from the drop in kernel npc orders and therefore the knock-on of player orders for them. Because of this along with the kernel system change from OBT it means that there is almost no market for the kernels that someone just starting can farm...

Just for a quick example when i started i was able to sell 200-1000 t1 kernels a day to other players and corps to get my starting funding going. Now this is imposible tod o because after a few hundred T1's no researcher has a use for them anymore, therefore its only npc'able which is terrible NIC in comparison..

But they will never change the kernel system back to how it was, or increase the prices so, this situation won't change anytime soon

Freelance Agent/Merc Suppling All With The NIC For The Job

980X XSPC Cooling, ASUS RoG Rampage Extreme III, 12 GB Corsair Dominator DHX 2000Mhz w/Cooling Unit, 2x GTX 580 SLi, Creative Titanium Fatailty Championship w/ IO panel, 2x 128Gb SSD, 4x 1.5Tb hdd, BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P8 1200W PSU - Multi-BootOS

Steeldragonz wrote:
DEV Calvin wrote:

This is totally right. But the issue is the free trial in the first place. This attracts f2p people that just want a time filler between CBT/OBT phases in there other games, and maybe... gets about 15% retension.

The issue problem is more to do with easing that begining progression which has been hurt from the drop in kernel npc orders and therefore the knock-on of player orders for them. Because of this along with the kernel system change from OBT it means that there is almost no market for the kernels that someone just starting can farm...

Just for a quick example when i started i was able to sell 200-1000 t1 kernels a day to other players and corps to get my starting funding going. Now this is imposible tod o because after a few hundred T1's no researcher has a use for them anymore, therefore its only npc'able which is terrible NIC in comparison..

But they will never change the kernel system back to how it was, or increase the prices so, this situation won't change anytime soon

NPC bounties would help with this feeling of treading water...

GLiMPSE wrote:
Steeldragonz wrote:
DEV Calvin wrote:

NPC bounties would help with this feeling of treading water...

True but then you will need to make kernels a % drop which will hurt freelancers and small corps again. With as hard as it is already. personally im still in t2-3 research.

980X XSPC Cooling, ASUS RoG Rampage Extreme III, 12 GB Corsair Dominator DHX 2000Mhz w/Cooling Unit, 2x GTX 580 SLi, Creative Titanium Fatailty Championship w/ IO panel, 2x 128Gb SSD, 4x 1.5Tb hdd, BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P8 1200W PSU - Multi-BootOS

Here comes the proof of what I said would happen:

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/22260/#p22260

Expect a lot more posts like that one, and even more silently quitting.

DEV Calvin wrote:

If it is a problem that people will sell the free bots then make it impossible to sell them or transfer them to other acounts.
If you lose your free light bot during some mission, then it is just too bad. If new players tend to do this then put a section in the tutorial where it states that running away from a defeat is OK. Live to fight another day...

I was honestly surprised that I got so much free stuff from the tutorials.  We are in universal agreement that the market needs to be stimulated, and now we have all new players gunning for light bots from the market.  How is this bad?

It's a free market.  If the light bots cost too much for new players, they won't buy them, and prices will come down.  Then they eventually will not be too expensive, and new players will buy them. 

Economy thrives.

In another game i play, the free trial accounts have restrictions on them, they are unable to trade stuff to other players but are able to receive stuff, they are unable to use the Auction house(read market) and they are only able to reach a certain level. they are also prohibited from using certain chat channels in game but still have access to the help channel.

I think this is what would be needed to prevent new trial fraud.

Block purchasing from market orders, block the ability to trade too another player, block the ability to join/leave any other channel except help/general, block the ability to use corporate storage or even just block the ability to join a corporation all together. those arkhe bots are pretty much junk and as soon as you get into your main faction bot its a real sense of accomplishment.

By the way, for now the tutorial missions are still available and still hand out the same rewards. We'll find a way to highlight it more to stand out from the "training" missions. (Naming them "training" missions might not have been a very good idea.)

If you can't find the tutorial missions on a new character please report it.

14 (edited by CrepitusAntiPettyPeople 2011-03-14 21:47:14)

DEV Calvin wrote:

By the way, for now the tutorial missions are still available and still hand out the same rewards. We'll find a way to highlight it more to stand out from the "training" missions. (Naming them "training" missions might not have been a very good idea.)

If you can't find the tutorial missions on a new character please report it.

I couldn't find them before because I was looking for the told names.  They are indeed marked Training now but the text says "ICS tutorial assignment / file #1"

So, you are correct about them being there and I apologize for saying they were removed. 

Does this mean that they put you back at lvl 1 if you do them? I guess I'll go back and find out.

Thanks for your response Calvin.

EDIT: So, the missions are there, the rewards are the same, they're just renamed.  However, the relation nerf remains, forcing you to grind up to level 1 from 0 with training missions instead of being able to do level 1 missions as soon as finishing the tutorial ones.  Just finished all 10 to see for myself.

First, your experience isn't from new player perspective, your an established player adding an alt. Of course the idea of grinding a new account is going to be distasteful, as you have already done it (twice). I had the same feeling, well before the change, when I reset my account after 41 days and had to start over. It took me about 5 weeks to 'forget' all the time I had already spent and to force my self to regrind the rep. Rep is always a grind, and its not just a korean gamer thing.

The devs have to assume that the 15 day free accounts are used by farmers. What they can do is offer a light bot upon subscribing, with insurance already applied to help with the second bot. This way there is an incentive to sign up, while limiting the trial account. I would also cap nic and limit trading; its a trial, and the play style is accesable for them to determine if they want to buy, it doesn't have to provide market access.

16 (edited by CrepitusAntiPettyPeople 2011-03-14 23:46:37)

Arga wrote:

First, your experience isn't from new player perspective, your an established player adding an alt. Of course the idea of grinding a new account is going to be distasteful, as you have already done it (twice). I had the same feeling, well before the change, when I reset my account after 41 days and had to start over. It took me about 5 weeks to 'forget' all the time I had already spent and to force my self to regrind the rep. Rep is always a grind, and its not just a korean gamer thing.

The devs have to assume that the 15 day free accounts are used by farmers. What they can do is offer a light bot upon subscribing, with insurance already applied to help with the second bot. This way there is an incentive to sign up, while limiting the trial account. I would also cap nic and limit trading; its a trial, and the play style is accesable for them to determine if they want to buy, it doesn't have to provide market access.

I have 3 accounts, but I've been playing about the same amount of time as someone on a 15 day trial (about 20 days).  I guess part of what has made me so angry about this was my inability to register my 3rd account a week ago I simply never got the email; so I would be unaffected personally by this if I had. 

I still think it's moving in the wrong direction and limits choice, especially since you could play ALL factions lvl 1 assignments and you now have to grind them all to lvl 1 individually.  That's a lot of extra time and effort.  This is my 2nd day spending several hours doing them trying to just get in to lvl 1 assignments and I'm still quite far behind.

Honestly Creptitus go back to WoW or something.

omg i have to work for something, duh!

18 (edited by CrepitusAntiPettyPeople 2011-03-16 17:07:56)

CrepitusAntiPettyPeople wrote:
Arga wrote:

I have 3 accounts, but I've been playing about the same amount of time as someone on a 15 day trial (about 20 days).  I guess part of what has made me so angry about this was my inability to register my 3rd account a week ago I simply never got the email; so I would be unaffected personally by this if I had. 

I still think it's moving in the wrong direction and limits choice, especially since you could play ALL factions lvl 1 assignments and you now have to grind them all to lvl 1 individually.  That's a lot of extra time and effort.  This is my 2nd day spending several hours doing them trying to just get in to lvl 1 assignments and I'm still quite far behind.

Does it take a lot of practice to consistently be such a world class *** bag or does your natural talent cover most of it?

Notice the Devs patched the game with 3 relation changes yesterday without warning; which hints at urgency.  I haven't had a chance to test the changes yet myself.  I hope they're good ones.

Well all things being equally i shoould have all my work finally sorted tomorrow and can get back in game and test all this out, rather then just seeing the fallout on the forums like i have for the past 2 weeks. Seems that people are a bit all over theplace when it comes to how this should be handled but for one thing i know i wouldnt want free accounts being able to horde up light bots to trade/sell into the main economy. But also that i dont feel its fair to gimp peoples starting postion in a way that the first thing they experience is a horrible rep grind, putting them off doing anything else or completing there trial for that matter.

But its hard to find some sort of balance without a few more changes like :
- keep the training missions as they were but make the modules nonsellable, along with the lightbots that you get.  This would mean you are still handing out 5-600k in stuff but it has on NIC value it is only good for generating more NIC/rep/gameplay. This keeps training mission rewards out of the economy and production cycle, without nerfing the use of the rewards to real players, only those that would want to profiteer[farms/multi-accounts]

-Will try to think of more later lol

I'm a new player.
And it already feels grindy like hell. The crafting seems okish but I read the refining percentage depends on the relation ? What The ***.

I was thinking about getting an account just for research and craft but if I need to grind relation on top of waiting for the EP to be available I'm just gonna go back to get fun in some FPS.

Relationship bonus only makes a small difference. It's for endgame once you've trained everything else you can start to grind standings. Forming a squad will allow you to share relation bonus.

It's not great but there are ways around needing relations. You need very few producers per corporation and at most 2 prototyper.

The Game

Alexander wrote:

You need very few producers per corporation and at most 2 prototyper.

1 Prototyper per 10-15 Mass manufacture guys with 25+ slots each with their lines constantly running. That's my experience.

23 (edited by Natasya 2011-03-22 22:11:29)

DEV Calvin wrote:

No one would be farming them.

Since its "Truck simulator online" right now.

T1 transport still gives way more than tut. So you can. Screw that!

Or you will finally try to balance.

edit: oh, and you could nerf t1 transport. and kill the game. perhaps you should look at the things in the game that are imbalance in sense of "not worth doing a *** *** that mission"

CrepitusGoldenGoose wrote:

I'd also like to point out that the training missions don't give you anything, just small amounts of NIC.  So the high fluctuations in market prices *REALLY* hurt the newbies the most here since it's the only way they can get ammo to do the combat ones, which as I stated previously, even in an outfitted Yagel the training missions for combat are still difficult (for a non-combat character admittedly; but what newb is going to immediately open their agent profile and spend all their EP on the right skills?).

Took away 2§ to say +1