1 (edited by Akumaka 2011-03-08 02:52:08)

Topic: NPC Complex Idea

It occurs to me that one of the major issues that players are having at the moment, is that there is not enough for the PvE centric players to do.

So, here is my idea for a "Dungeon" or "Complex" system that could help out with that.

The basic idea is that there are 8 Outpost Complexes connected to one larger City Complex that are all controlled by NPCs, a Complex Network if you will.  Each of these complexes would be filled with racial appropriate NPCs for players to fight and clear according to what factional continents they are located on, and be rewarded for successfully clearing the entire complex.  Given that there are 3 main NPC factions, unless you want to count the workers, there should be 3 separate complex networks.

The complexes would be divided into 5 levels, each of which would have an appropriate Overseer, Grand Overseer, or multiple of either, group at the end that the players would need to defeat.  Levels 1 through 4 would require a small group to clear, while Level 5 would require a much larger "raid" type group.

Once the enemies are defeated, the players are rewarded with tiered or prototype gear, perhaps even CTs for tiered gear, and plenty of NIC for their troubles by way of drops or assignment rewards.

In addition, the end of each Outpost Complex will feature a SAP similar to those found during Intrusion Events, though perhaps at a lesser difficulty level.  The SAPs do not have to be completed to clear the complex.

• Level 1:  Filled with light bot enemies, and no player bots larger than an Assault can enter.  Found on Alpha Islands.

• Level 2:  Filled with assault bot and lower enemies, and no player bots larger than a Mech can enter.  Found on Alpha Islands.

• Level 3:  Filled with mech and lower enemies, and no player bots larger than a Heavy Mech can enter.  Found on Beta Islands.

• Level 4:  Filled with heavy mech and lower enemies.  All player bot types are allowed.  Found on Beta Islands.

• Level 5: City Complex: A sprawling complex which is connected to the Outpost Complexes by way of a SAP at the end of each Outpost Complex.  Filled with Heavy Mech and lower NPC enemies, as well as many Overseers and Grand Overseers.  Such City Complexes would require a considerable number of players to clear, but would reward you in kind.  Found (?).

Complex Diagram

Now, I mentioned that each Outpost Complex would have a SAP at the end, and that each Outpost Complex was connected to the City Complex.  These SAPs serve two functions.

• 1: Diminish the defenses inside of the City Complex by a certain percentage for a set period of time.

• 2: Unlock the entrance to the City Complex for a short time.

Inside of the City Complex will be similar to the Outposts, however there will be several SAPs, plus some sort of grand Boss or difficult ending battle once all else is cleared.  As I said, this will be a difficult complex, and will require a good number of players to clear.  This will provide considerable rewards for the Players themselves, and perhaps a portion of charged energy crystals to send back to Earth as per the storyline and upcoming energy system implementation.

Well, that's all I've got for now.  Questions/Critiques/Comments, please.

Lo there do I see my father.  Lo there do I see my mother and my sisters and my brothers.  Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning.  Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, in the Halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live...forever.

Re: NPC Complex Idea

Tiered items - yes.

CT's, Prototypes, basically short-circuiting the Kernel tech tree research - No.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

3 (edited by Akumaka 2011-03-08 03:04:32)

Many small Corporations don't have access to those Kernels which are required for those tiered items, so this would give them a 1 shot CT or prototype they could use to produce a few tiered items with.  No one said they'd be 100% or even 50% drop rates, though.

It's incentive to use the Complexes.

Lo there do I see my father.  Lo there do I see my mother and my sisters and my brothers.  Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning.  Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, in the Halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live...forever.

Why not find there new kernels which allow you to unlock MKII Bots protypes?

I would love to see this sort of thing, but I'm a raid fanatic. We do need more PVE content, but at this point in the game evolution, this type of raid would replace 'beta' as end game. Starting with something smaller and scale it up as PVP end-game progresses would keep it in balance; scale in complexity as well as reward.

I wouldnt personally be against a CT being given out however only if the CT had mediocre material efficiency (something in the region of 60-65%) that way you wont be able to make many runs out of it and the kernal researchers still have a role (better CT's therefore better overheads and can undercut their competition)

Kernels research is a pain and it's been rather bugged from the start. Takes a few billion NIC to research everything from current projections given by a few researchers.

I like the idea of NPC events and other such things but it's would requires a few changes to the game and the environment by the sound of it. Perhaps as well as player intrusions NPC's could randomly attack outposts in larger numbers than they currently do. By engaging the smaller scout parties it could trigger a larger spawn or something. Anything that doesn't require even more landmass to be added.

The highest reward from these should be a stash (Kernels, items and fragments, refined materials).

Honestly right now the NPC's provide more of a challenge to players.

The Game

I like the complex idea, pretty much something that is needed to get more players.