Topic: Beta island logon/off mechanics

Because of logon traps and various other abuses, the logon and logoff mechanics while on beta islands need some serious work. After a successful logout, an echo (a marker indicating pilot and bot type), should remain visible at the logout location on landmarks and the terrain itself for ten minutes. If the player logs in again within 5 minutes, the echo disappears and they may proceed normally. Nobody should be punished for network flaps or client crashes. But if they remain logged out for more than 5 minutes, they cannot log that character back in again for an hour. A character logging in after having been logged out for an extended period of time cannot target or interact (field containers, specimin saps, etc) for a period of 5 minutes. Also, there should be a 2 minute wait before being allowed to undock from a beta terminal/outpost after having been logged out for an extended period.

Re: Beta island logon/off mechanics

I like the idea of markers placed where characters have logged out on the terrain but I do not like the 1 hour wait timer.

Log out traps work because of spys and scouts. Always expect them. However logging into the terrain should effect your weapon systems for 60 seconds. Simples.

The Game

You'll find a recurring theme with my proposals is, when possible, they seek to reduce the utility of metagaming. This one does that as well as reduce the value of not being "in the game" as a part of in-game strategy.

back in again for an hour

This is delirium! if my PC lag, i can rebbot it and login ing game for 5 min/

Markers logout good idea/

Log on traps are essentially the cloaking device of this game perhaps if a true cloaking device was implemented then there wouldn't be as many log on traps

With log in traps, you need a second account/Bot on scene as a spotter.

Cloaking you can do solo with full knowledge of what is going on around your bot, so other than they are both surprise attacks, they are not the same tactically.

Taco wrote:

You'll find a recurring theme with my proposals is, when possible, they seek to reduce the utility of metagaming.

lol, you kids and your "metagaming"

Back in my day we called it "dastardly tricks, tomfoolery, and swashbuckling"...

You kids and your crazy space age words...

It sounds sooo............ Meta-MetroSexual