26 (edited by Mara Kaid 2011-02-15 20:31:58)

Re: PostPatch - an industrialist view

Freidal Shoveler wrote:

u're right Mara, but

in eve u know where u can find yr roids, maybe they won't be full, and maybe u could be popped , but roid belts don't simply disappear to spawn in a random location that u have to spend minutes (if not hours) to find.
Besides,u don't need mega or morphite to cook frigates (T1s) and cruisers (always T1) , now to cook light bots (ewars) you do in PO (like u do for bunch of other T1 mods)
That's just to discuss, not whining or other stuff like that

I agree. Too much beta mats involved with basic pvp items. Why make basic pvp items have silly components. Encourage more pvp by making it easier for them. More pvp = more fun, less risk.

That's kind of why I believe in efficiency with the lowest tools, that way you never have to grind much, or loose much, but take a lot!

Eve had fittings you could make without "needing" 0.0, now we just kill people on beta/0.0 to make it...

Mara Kaid wrote:

I agree. Too much beta mats involved with basic pvp items. Why make basic pvp items have silly components. Encourage more pvp by making it easier for them. More pvp = more fun, less risk.

That's kind of why I believe in efficiency with the lowest tools, that way you never have to grind much, or loose much, but take a lot!

I think you have a good idea here- the "risk" that so many PvPers talk about should belong to the good stuff- maybe T3, definitely T4 and higher. If you want the best, you have to work to get it, or hire someone to do the work for you. In the meantime, if you can't afford the best, the adequate will suffice- it should be cheap and easily available.

The last thing you want is for PvPers to farm or grind for hours in order to get gear that lasts a few minutes: save that for the top of the line, for the players who are willing to put in the extra work.

I know the game lost a lot of players because they felt that the last patch was forcing them to move to Beta. I realize that part of this was a response to PvPers whining about a lack of targets, but the response was unquestionably too far in one direction. What's the harm in people farming alpha all day? If someone wants to build T1 and T2 gear without fear of being ganked (either by players or NPCs), let them- it certainly won't destroy the economy, it will keep the PvPers swimming in cheap, disposable gear, and it might even convince some players to keep subscribing.

All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful - Kohelet Rabbah 7:16

"My transaction log shows all my NIC was from selling kernals.  All of it."
"Savin's outrage tears are the best tears." - Anonymous ***

Or just even T1 gear.

This ties into my other post about corps never being able to recover and gain strengh while on alpha to have any chance to upset the 'seated' beta alliances.

Arga wrote:

Or just even T1 gear.

This ties into my other post about corps never being able to recover and gain strengh while on alpha to have any chance to upset the 'seated' beta alliances.

For that matter, why not let it stand as it has been, and build on that?

T1 and T2 are pretty easy to make, and don't require many exotic materials (except for the items that use epitron). T3 requires a bit more time and more exotics, but not much, and now T4 wants the new plant- this sounds about right. And when T5 comes out, introduce a new resource tied to PvP or the Betas to keep the risk/reward curve high.

All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful - Kohelet Rabbah 7:16

30 (edited by Annihilator 2011-02-15 22:08:26)

Savin wrote:

T1 and T2 are pretty easy to make, and don't require many exotic materials (except for the items that use epitron).

guess which ones are the most important one for any aspect of PvP...

(ewar bot, ewar equip, sensor amp, tunings, NEXUS, sensoring....)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

guess which ones are the most important one for any aspect of PvP...

(ewar bot, ewar equip, sensor amp, tunings, NEXUS, sensoring....)

And that's a good thing, isn't it? Wouldn't you rather have these items readily available and cheap?

Removed non-constructive and offensive comments. Please keep this interesting discussion civil.

DEV Client wrote:

Removed non-constructive and offensive comments. Please keep this interesting discussion civil.

Since you're showing an interest in this discussion, I wonder if you have a moment to share the developer's thoughts regarding the place of industry in the game?

There have been many similar discussions about this issue, and it appears to many, especially after the last patch, that you see the industry side as an adjunct to combat, either PvE or PvP, but especially PvP. I think the latest devblog supports this as well.

If this is true, I am disappointed- I had high hopes that the economy would become an arena where we could take real risks and reap real rewards, and that the political arena would offer yet another layer of challenge. Instead, the political and social systems seem to be diminishing in importance- and I know that there are several players who, seeing this, have already decided to leave the game.

Anyway, what do the developers see happening in the long run?

A summary of points:

We wish for there to be a way to make going from alpha to beta viable vs gathering several allies, or asking another large alliance to help us.

It would be nice if low end items had less epitron use, or 0, so that more pvp could be viable. Why is it for t1 items we have to have beta components? It wasn't like that in eve, and it would be nice.

We'd like a way for smaller corps to get the leg up and have their own "low-sec" of sorts. We've heard the other islands are going to possibly be pve arenas? This is fine, but again, encourage something where smaller corps, ones with teeth could live out in non-alpha lands. It is possible now, and it can be done on the beta terminals. However, the larger alliances patrol these and it gets harder.. even in low-sec a large alliance could dominate an area. Something may be possible about this issue.

This is pretty hard to do, and not many games have accomplished this well.

Thanks Mara, an excellent summary! I would add a couple of things:

Mara Kaid wrote:

We wish for there to be a way to make going from alpha to beta viable vs gathering several allies, or asking another large alliance to help us.

In other words, we want to have back some bargaining power: at the moment, I have nothing to offer a Beta corp that it could not make on its own, and probably for a lower cost. Therefore, they have no reason to allow me on their island, and are free to charge me what they wish for their rare materials.

If those of us who specialized deeply into industry had something uniquely ours, then we would have some power to negotiate trade and passage with the Beta corps.

Mara Kaid wrote:

It would be nice if low end items had less epitron use, or 0, so that more pvp could be viable. Why is it for t1 items we have to have beta components? It wasn't like that in eve, and it would be nice.

Basically, all T1 and T2 gear should be very easy to build, requiring only basic resources and short time periods. We understand that this would drastically lower their price, but that's the idea: so long as the combat-oriented players are swimming in basic ammo and gear, they'll keep at it, which in the long run benefits us more.

Start requiring beta components for T3 or T4 gear, and introduce another uniquely-beta resource for T5 and so forth: the low-end stuff should be cheap and plentiful; the high-end stuff should represent a risk to everyone involved.

One of the things that made the EVE economy work so well was that "safe space" had an abundance of low-end minerals and almost no higher-end stuff, whereas 0.0 had it the other way round. And even in 0.0 space, the concentration of the high-value minerals differs from area to area. This makes trade an essential part of the game, because no area "is an island" big_smile

That meant that there has to be a constant flow of materials and/or finished goods in BOTH directions. Supply lines are vulnerable...

That said, the EVE scenario also worked because the distances were relatively huge, resulting in many opportunities to interdict supplies.

It almost feels like beta island corps have no need whatsoever to come to alpha, because they are entirely self-sufficient.

37 (edited by Annihilator 2011-02-16 20:47:21)

1. T1 gear is farmable from npcs and doesnt need to be build at all -> no market value for beta corps, they gain it on the fly while farming Kernels for NIC income.

2. Because of the previous point and the rank3 recycling plants on Beta, T2 equipment is also pretty easy to build for a beta-corp.

3. making low-end gear cheaper to build would make specialiced industrials for it unnecessary. especially ammo.

4. the game either has to few minerals/comodities, or the basic and advanced stuff dont have enough diversity in their component list.
    Together with Caetan post, you can see that trading between islands can't really be established. if you scrap one mineral from an island, they wont be able to build ~80% of the basic stuff. for example, remove titan ore from any island, and they have to import it even for their basic equip - not good

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Caetan wrote:

It almost feels like beta island corps have no need whatsoever to come to alpha, because they are entirely self-sufficient.

This is exactly right, which is fine if your goal is to make PvP as affordable as possible. That's why I asked for elaboration- it seems that is the direction the game is headed.

Annihilator wrote:

T1 gear is farmable from npcs and doesnt need to be build at all -> no market value for beta corps, they gain it on the fly while farming Kernels for NIC income.

This is true. But Mara and I were discussing the smaller corps and independents. Besides, we're arguing that T1 gear should have little value. It requires little risk, no?

Annihilator wrote:

Because of the previous point and the rank3 recycling plants on Beta, T2 equipment is also pretty easy to build for a beta-corp.

Again, we've been discussing smaller corps and independents. Beta corps are self-sufficient- the current problem is that there is no reason at all for a Beta corp to negotiate with smaller corps or independents: they have all of the resources, and all of the facilities ready at hand. All we can offer them is target practice, or maybe slightly cheaper ores.

Annihilator wrote:

making low-end gear cheaper to build would make specialiced industrials for it unnecessary. especially ammo.

It already is- nobody specializes in T1 or T2 gear, nor should anyone have to: it needs to be cheap and easy to find. Again: low rewards for low risks.

Annihilator wrote:

the game either has to few minerals/comodities, or the basic and advanced stuff dont have enough diversity in their component list.

We would welcome a greater diversity in T4 components, but only if there were a mechanism that would give us small corps and independents some power to negotiate. At the moment, there is none.

Annihilator wrote:

Together with Caetan post, you can see that trading between islands can't really be established. if you scrap one mineral from an island, they wont be able to build ~80% of the basic stuff. for example, remove titan ore from any island, and they have to import it even for their basic equip - not good

Trading between two beta islands is not a concern. Rather, we are interested in the role of industrialists in the game. At the moment, it appears to be shrinking, and we want to know if that will continue.

40 (edited by Annihilator 2011-02-16 22:29:38)

omg, some people just dont get when someone agree's with them on the topic

Well there is a reason for a beta corp to work with smaller corps.

To gain numbers.

This can be done in so many ways. Some of them are pretty horrific.

Once the alpha corp goes to beta, it becomes fun, they hamper down. The people are happy farming all day. Only a few pvpers from their ranks go out and defend. Soon though the farming people become so farmed that any change in mechanics which makes them have to work more, makes them leave or get frustrated. The left over guys, the ones that defend, then get recruited in and bam, your alliance has more numbers.

Thus without the opportunity for the smaller corps to have some kind of way in, besides joining .... you see this big fat monster eating everything...

Because alliances are meta-game they are outside the direct control of in game mechanics. Indirect changes can be made that effect the reasons why corporations form alliances but players can choose to ignore those if the alliance bonds are strong enough.

If the fertile plains are dominated by large predators, the prey will avoid those plains until the safe area is down to empty dirt. The prey must then venture into the plains and be eaten. Given the chance the predetors would invade the safe areas and kill all the prey, but they can't. The imbalance here is that the predators can wait in the fertile grass indefinetly, actually growing stronger (as boredom allows), while they wait for the starved prey to crawl helplessly into their mouths; or more likely just log off and quit the game.

The only problem with what Savin is saying, that the beta Islands are self-suffcient, is there is nothing stopping Beta Alliances from getting all their alpha needs themselves anyway. And since there alliances are all meta-game, there's no way for the game to know that corporation XXX is allied with Beta Island Alliance, so attack them if they come to alpha.

Really, as Mara says, small corps must either suck it an join a beta alliance under the best terms they can, or spend hours and hours building up resources for raids; and hoping to get enough Epitron from that raid to do it again later.

An approach that covers several of the thnigs asked for in here - yes also indu bonus tongue:

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/16332/#p16332

Arga wrote:

If the fertile plains are dominated by large predators, the prey will avoid those plains until the safe area is down to empty dirt.

Go take biology 101.

Carnivores die out without food and herbivores do adapt.

In perpetuum, the is no such thing as "non pvp" player. Even if he never touch a gun, he still pvps...

45 (edited by Arga 2011-02-17 00:35:08)

Siddy wrote:
Arga wrote:

If the fertile plains are dominated by large predators, the prey will avoid those plains until the safe area is down to empty dirt.

Go take biology 101.

Carnivores die out without food and herbivores do adapt.

In perpetuum, the is no such thing as "non pvp" player. Even if he never touch a gun, he still pvps...

If you read my next sentance

Arga wrote:

The imbalance here is that the predators can wait in the fertile grass indefinetly, actually growing stronger (as boredom allows)

I'm saying just that, the predetors are not dying like they should from lack of prey and there is the imbalance in the status quo. But I like biology so I don't mind taking that class again...

The analogy is to show that Beta doesn't need alpha, but alpha players need beta; the imbalance is just causing the alpha players to give up, or go to beta once and get killed, and give up. Talking about small corps, not large ex-beta corps like Ecorp or NA that had time to fatten up on beta before being pushed to alpha.

There is NO way for an alpha based corp to gain any kind of power in this game, at best they can scratch out a meger existance - in comparison to beta corps.

Its an observation, not a call for any change, because like I said there are no game mechanics that can be changed to fix it; the game just favors large alliances.

edit; the larger the better, which is why Infestation is hoping the Hoop breaks up

you are assuming that there is herbivores in here...

there is none

Yes, your correct, the reference to 'grass' destroyed the analogy. The term I used was prey though, which is what I meant, tooth and claw is still prey to the larger predetor. The premise is the same.

An arguement could be made that miners are a type of herbivore... but thats not what you meant, which is that all players are in some sense predetors, which I agree; but some players are more like prey than others.

An adult might have elaborated on some points, disagreed with some, started a discussion in a different direction, you know, put a little thought into it, like I did with your points. But if linking to old, tiresome fads is what you kids do instead, i guess that's ok, too.

Mara Kaid wrote:

Thus without the opportunity for the smaller corps to have some kind of way in, besides joining .... you see this big fat monster eating everything...

Mara, this might be by design- that's why I asked for a dev to chime in. The last patch seems to be pushing players in this direction, and in the latest devblog, the game appears to be continuing in this fashion. I think the idea is of large corps continually at war, with major battles and minor skirmishes constantly testing boundaries and allegiances.

Arga wrote:

The analogy is to show that Beta doesn't need alpha, but alpha players need beta; the imbalance is just causing the alpha players to give up, or go to beta once and get killed, and give up.

Arga, Siddy's in a corp that's been asking for more targets. From their perspective as PvPers, pushing characters to the Beta islands is a great idea, and it doesn't matter if those are small or large corps, just so long as it is targetable.

Now, in the long run, it seems like a bad idea; but in the meantime, more targets=more fun.

Maybe I wasn't really clear, because I'm all for generating more reasons for PVP, and for alpha players to go to beta.

What maybe got lost in the noise of my animal cracker analogy is that forcing players that have little to no practice at PVP coming from alpha up against players that do nothing but PVP is like sending them to be slaughtered.

Now, its even worse without insurance, because it puts all the financial burden again on the novice pvper. The learning curve exceeds your ability to pay for new bots as a solo player and is maybe just sustainable in a small 2-3 person corporation. Even assuming they do learn how to PVP, they still haven't gain anything productive yet, and certainly can't protect any kind of mining OP for epitron.

... aside from the PM saying "u mad" after getting a bot blown up, there is no reward for going to PVP unless your in a large group that can actually protect miners, but there are no 'dungeon finder' tools or anything else where players can try to get a group together to attack beta. And with the population so low your almost assured of getting an alt of the beta group in even if you could... but that's another issue.

Arga a beta corp isn't necessarily a corp that owns a beta station or lives in one. It can be corps that raid it, make use of the land, and live off its riches. Very easy to do. There are 0.0 corps that don't own systems/regions and simply live off the fat they provide.

Your stuck in the mold here of believing only corps that own station or ally with the fat cow alliances can be considered a beta corp. If this game had a huge population we'd see a big change of what's considered beta.

Unless I confused something you said.

Still my point rests, and we seem to agree there needs to be some kind of space/riches that help lower numbered corps enjoy the fun as well.