Topic: The latest patch: Observations

This is an overview of the changes from my perspective and what if anything I think needs to be improved or changed. I'll do it in the order of the patch notes big_smile

Signal detection and masking

This is seven kinds of awesome for the most part. really good change that adds an extra dimension to defending an island and roaming it. I particularly liked how one of our guys got nuked by an observer seth from 1km away without even seeing him on the radar. Good job

Incubators

The implementation of these were a good idea that was horribly implemented. They should have been around a week before they were needed for t4 goods to give people chance to get production up and iron through any problems. The information given on them is at best poor. This however may have been intentional. What it has done is increased t4 cost by a factor of five. With the Epriton changes this has increased your average intakt from two million to fourteen million.

NPC Caravans

I like this idea but perhaps the observers need to be scaled back. I think after the change made they are about right, when they first came in they were a bit to madman.

Epriton changes

The changes made to this probably have the most effect on the game as a whole. Cumulative with the new plants they have made the cost of pvp a lot higher. At this stage is kinda early to tell but I think they probably nerfed this too hard.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Re: The latest patch: Observations

I think it is just fine as it is now. (when it comes to new cost of things). Before this update everything was to cheap it was just a matter of a couple of months before everyone would be running around in t4 equipment and heavy mechs, losing it and not caring about it at all.

We need to have expensive stuff. If everyone have easy access to t4 items this game would be boring. I want to work my *** of to be able to have the best mech and the best equipment as it was before the patch everyone could have it in a few days.

The patch was all good and it was not nerfed to much.

- Z

Former CEO of X-23

Jita wrote:

The changes made to this probably have the most effect on the game as a whole. Cumulative with the new plants they have made the cost of pvp a lot higher. At this stage is kinda early to tell but I think they probably nerfed this too hard.

Maybe if there was less than 1000 mouths to feed, it might be easier...

Annihilator said: Walking careless onto hokko without masking is like jumping into a bathtub with the hungry 30cm piranhas (infestation)
GLiMPSE™'s CoolPoints™ Leaderboard

So far we're managing to cope. Plants took about 16 hours to get going but from there each plant provide enough for a fully T4 Mech and then some for other modules.

T4 is meant to be expensive. It's the best and the brightest and if cost is a factor (Which is never should be in this game) you can use T2 module and have almost the same Kill Ratio.

The Game

I guess I can kind of understand that about wanting t4 to be expensive, but lets face it. If player Y has to spend x number of hours mining, npc'ing or whatever to get into the right modules for pvp (to compete at the very least almost every bot requires a t4 lwf), then loses it in 10 minutes of pvp then how many times do you think that person is going to do it?

There's a balance to be had to making things worth something in pvp. You don't want to make things so expensive that only the richest will ever dare use them in pvp, and you dont want their cost to be relative either. In my opinion, adding noralgis for t4 production went a long way to negating t4 being the defacto pvp fit. There's alot of modules besides t4 lwf that many people would not want the extra cost on, and would decide to take t3 instead.

Devs should be encouraging pvp  -- which I think the addition of noralgis has done -- and not discouraging it -- which the nerf to mineral spawns has done. In the end, wether you're a miner, or a npc'er or a producer, or a prototyper or whatever, it's PVP that makes this game go round. Without it, and maybe more importantly - the people that make it happen - there'd be no reason for the miner to mine, or the producer to produce or the prototyper to prototpe.

And also, punishing 3/4's of the server population because one alliance abused ingame mechanics to the point that the game is no longer fun for them, is not the way to handle your mistakes.

Smokeyii wrote:

And also, punishing 3/4's of the server population because one alliance abused ingame mechanics to the point that the game is no longer fun for them, is not the way to handle your mistakes.

Did you just admit that we beat the game?

Noralgis incubators must have more armor. This must increase safety of the farm , when defence forces not able to defend it. Now noralgis is extra rare material, and players must put lot of work to get it, much more than epriton mining. This difference between efforts spending to get epriton and to get noralgis must be fixed.

Alexadar wrote:

Noralgis incubators must have more armor. This must increase safety of the farm , when defence forces not able to defend it. Now noralgis is extra rare material, and players must put lot of work to get it, much more than epriton mining. This difference between efforts spending to get epriton and to get noralgis must be fixed.

I like it how it is.
They're very easy to farm.
We have 10 people on Norhoop killing your plants while you have 90 online in your channel and we didn't see a SINGLE person.

If you want plants you have to hide them and defence them. Simple. Plant decoy plants. It's expensive but it works.

The Game

Alexander wrote:
Alexadar wrote:

I like it how it is.
They're very easy to farm.
We have 10 people on Norhoop killing your plants while you have 90 online in your channel and we didn't see a SINGLE person.

If you want plants you have to hide them and defence them. Simple. Plant decoy plants. It's expensive but it works.

Alex, you described a certain case what must be reviewed on another topic or chat. Now i'm trying to describe situation in a whole and propose solution. I dont want to have troll wars here, but i want to share thoughts. For now i see some disbalance in noralgis lifecycle: long refresh period, and easy to kill farm. I'm not talking about +100500 armor bonus, i'm talking about small armor bonus what will help to earn some time for defenders. Just a balance fix, not big change.

10 (edited by GLiMPSE 2011-02-08 15:25:53)

Alexadar vs Alexander

Round 1

FIGHT!!!

11 (edited by Siddy 2011-02-08 16:01:53)

t4 is luxury

What would 1000 more armor to plants help? When we are killing them while NO ONE IS GUARDING THEM AT ALL!

Siddy wrote:

t4 is luxury

What would 1000 more armor to plants help? When we are killing them while NO ONE IS GUARDING THEM AT ALL!

This is true on your end as well Siddy. And it will continue to be true no matter what's changed about the plants. Fact is, none of us can have continous coverage of plants (i mean come on... guarding plants 24/7? no thank you). It's fine the way it is IMO, plants on everyones side will get raided.... pvp happens. At least now when a roaming gang goes out and finds no targets to shoot there is something else they can do. Most people are fine with this.

13 (edited by Siddy 2011-02-08 16:34:09)

I know, and i like and accept it. Plus, i enjoy playing "hide the egg".

Plants are fine big_smile

Siddy wrote:

Plus, i enjoy playing "hide the egg".

I heard if you put an egg up there you have to go to hospital to get it out.

Xini Nemesis wrote:
Siddy wrote:

Tested, myth busted.

Alexadar wrote:

Noralgis incubators must have more armor.

This has kind of already been said...but once your plants are found, you've already lost them. The only way to protect plants is to hide them and hope no-one else comes across them. Therefore an armour bonus wouldn't help.

I don't feel qualified to comment on the rarity of T4 items because I'm not directly involved in production, but my grind to pvp ratio is acceptable.

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

Xini Nemesis wrote:
Siddy wrote:

Internet video's disagree.

Campana wrote:
Alexadar wrote:

Noralgis incubators must have more armor.

This has kind of already been said...but once your plants are found, you've already lost them. The only way to protect plants is to hide them and hope no-one else comes across them. Therefore an armour bonus wouldn't help.

I don't feel qualified to comment on the rarity of T4 items because I'm not directly involved in production, but my grind to pvp ratio is acceptable.

No egg comment?

Zorac wrote:

I think it is just fine as it is now. (when it comes to new cost of things). Before this update everything was to cheap it was just a matter of a couple of months before everyone would be running around in t4 equipment and heavy mechs, losing it and not caring about it at all.

We need to have expensive stuff. If everyone have easy access to t4 items this game would be boring. I want to work my *** of to be able to have the best mech and the best equipment as it was before the patch everyone could have it in a few days.

The patch was all good and it was not nerfed to much.

- Z

The problem with your logic is that the non PvP parts of the game have to be interesting in order to make players farm a lot of time to pay their ship. Actually, the PvE is just an introduction to PvP and I can't imagine players wait more than 2 month before going in their mech and go to beta island. They will just leave the game.