Topic: Weekly server restart

So, EVE has daily restarts, perhaps we should find a time and a date on a weekday or something and start having weekly server restarts to clean out lag, freelancer corp list, etc.

Would not be a bad thing, its just deciding on the weekly date and time. Should look into it.

Reading this signature fills you with determination.

2 (edited by SunnyJester 2015-09-21 03:44:10)

Re: Weekly server restart

+1.....great point bro

i think this would be a good idea but the time is the hard part to figure out

jariki wrote:

i think this would be a good idea but the time is the hard part to figure out

Well for it to work, they would have to choose certain time, alter SAP mechanics for that date and time a little to compensate, and gg.

Reading this signature fills you with determination.

I like that idea +1

6 (edited by JetNexus 2015-09-21 04:16:23)

In EVE, these restarts are necessary, because they're required for various things in game, such as ore field regeneration.

Some time ago they've talked about major decrease of DT time and that maybe one day they'll get rid of it entirely.

So the fact that something is in EVE doesn't automaticly makes it a good thing.

And it's for devs to see if restarts are somehow reduces the lags. Because it may have no effect to anything at all.

I agree with JetNexus.
Serverrestart is sometimes necessary, but in my opinion not weekly. We all saw several times, how well it work to have 4 weeks no restart. On the other hand there are times a restart improves gameplay. So don't do it weekly when not needed. First check, if restart is needed after certain time, certain transaction or what I fear, always when massive gamma changes happen (mostly bring down large base)

well, given a restart takes 5mins or so if nothing comes up, why not?

IMHO the only ones affected by this, would be stupid macro miner who don't set up their macros to clear the field container before the scheduled downtime.

maybe mission runner could be affected if they don't adjust timed combat missions to not get interrupted by the server down. (AFAIK the only time critical missions). All other missions can be made to expand by the server downtime, or have the time limit set to a minute before it.

server downs are only bad if they are long, sudden or during main time.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

It's not a big inconvinience to have such restarts, but i can't see the real reasons for that. Although i haven't seen most of the game yet.
But as far as i can say, is to reduce lags (which i'm not having). But if restart fixes the lag then there can be 2 things that causes them in the first place:
1. The server can't handle all the online players and alts, and after restart many of them are offline.
2. The server software doesn't clean garbage from memory, so the memory leak is taking place, especially after something intense. Code should be cleaned, or else it may lead to the bigger problems in the future.

Freelancer corp list, if anyone cares, is also a bug that can be fixed.

I'm not against this proposal, but i can't see how can it really help. A little or not, it's inconvinient, after all.

In eve it was discussed and currently works that non-populated systems after 30 mins of inactivity they go in to a sleep mode. Which is why after dt you log in and try to jump you get the wait a second message while the system boots. Same for wh systems through the day.

Anonymous: lobo is the only hero left in this god foresaken game / :also, Lobo is god among men
http://killboard.sequer.nl/?a=agent-his … mp;month=7 Best month 104 to 1 k/d

11 (edited by JetNexus 2015-09-26 05:42:24)

Lobo wrote:

In eve it was discussed and currently works that non-populated systems after 30 mins of inactivity they go in to a sleep mode. Which is why after dt you log in and try to jump you get the wait a second message while the system boots. Same for wh systems through the day.

I'ts better be vary careful when looking on things in eve.
Because they play it cool, as if they're coolest developers with their game, but actually is an everyday war to make eve not to lose too many players, so they'll have money for tomorrow.
They might have some interesting ideas which developers might use in perp their own way, but there's not much of them. Like fitting or time-based progression. The second one seems to be better in perp.
But taking too many of them can lead to the same den they are. Which might be too deep for a small team. It's not even because "stealing" is bad.

Server's starting to get shaky.  had wireshark up, i had lots of dropped packets.

Serious accusations about people DCing,  [19:38:01] <MaSTeR GuNz> Nice job, glad to know someone on your side can brute-force individual clients to dc.  I called the shaky server almost 4 hours earlier.  If you suspect peeps of malicious intent at least have something to back it up.  Router logs or wireshark or maybe an IDS.

Rovoc wrote:

Serious accusations about people DCing,  [19:38:01] <MaSTeR GuNz> Nice job, glad to know someone on your side can brute-force individual clients to dc.  I called the shaky server almost 4 hours earlier.  If you suspect peeps of malicious intent at least have something to back it up.  Router logs or wireshark or maybe an IDS.

its maybe not even intentional. I remember when i could participate in lots of pvp skirmishes, but the moment Burial opened fire on me, my client crashed.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear