Topic: What's the status on crowd sourcing stuff?

I know it was only brought up yesterday but didn't know if the Dev team got a chance to discuss.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Re: What's the status on crowd sourcing stuff?

why do you think DEV Zooms statement from just a few month ago would have changed in the meantime?

DEV Zoom wrote:

I'm not angry, sorry if it came through like that smile
And sorry to burst your bubble but a kickstarter campaign wouldn't work for us at this point. We would basically have to stop what we're doing, take off at least half a year to assemble a concept/video/features/stetch goals/etc package that we could build the campaign on, in order to have at least a small chance of being successful. We can't afford that (and I know how funny this sounds in the context of kickstarter).

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I dunno if you Seen this in the other thread Anni but I didn't want it getting buried

Ville wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

Ville: that's why we're not doing this for all beta outposts, so everyone can have their own preferred way of living on beta.

But just to throw in a completely different idea that you can all fight over (and I'm doing myself a disservice here): we could also put in a public main terminal on beta2s.

If you can add Beta Terminals to B2 Islands, why not just auto generate some NEW islands, Make them ALL NPC Terminals and Roaming Mobs stick some inner island TPs around it and some entrance points and GG?

DEV Zoom wrote:

"Auto generate" an island means only the terrain, which most of the time needs a lot of manual terraforming to make all of its areas accessible and useful.

Since you would want to do missions there too, that means doing the same process that we do now with all the islands, just with more effort because compared to existing islands, there would be zero infrastructure or pathways which would need to be created too.

Putting a new station onto an existing island is way less effort. I'm talking about a few days versus 1-2 months here.

Ville wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

"Auto generate" an island means only the terrain, which most of the time needs a lot of manual terraforming to make all of its areas accessible and useful.

Since you would want to do missions there too, that means doing the same process that we do now with all the islands, just with more effort because compared to existing islands, there would be zero infrastructure or pathways which would need to be created too.

Putting a new station onto an existing island is way less effort. I'm talking about a few days versus 1-2 months here.

I have a real question, Could you auto generate an island(gamma) on the Test server, give us back terraforming mechanics that aren't terrible  and allow the community to work on building an island?  For Beta, like we do all the heavy lifting on the side.  And make the terraforming plans tradable to non corp members, and create a sub forums for players to discussion the plans and direction of it in a highly moderated environment??  Is that possible?  So all you would have to do is come in plop teleports and do some simple adjustments bearing in mind it is ALL roaming NPCs, and you do the fine touch ups, and release the islands one at a time?

DEV Zoom wrote:
Ville wrote:

I have a real question, Could you auto generate an island(gamma) on the Test server, give us back terraforming mechanics that aren't terrible  and allow the community to work on building an island?  For Beta, like we do all the heavy lifting on the side.  And make the terraforming plans tradable to non corp members, and create a sub forums for players to discussion the plans and direction of it in a highly moderated environment??  Is that possible?  So all you would have to do is come in plop teleports and do some simple adjustments bearing in mind it is ALL roaming NPCs, and you do the fine touch ups, and release the islands one at a time?

It's not impossible, and I generally like the idea of "crowdsourcing" the creation of islands. No terraforming plan screwing around though, we'd have to put in the developer terraforming tools into the test client, which I'd have to ask whether it's possible cause I don't know. (Because giving out developer clients is something we're quite hesitant about, even though everything is controlled by account access levels.)

Didn't know if you seen that or not Anni in the other thread.

4 (edited by Annihilator 2015-07-21 22:34:43)

yeah... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1dQiN4gReQ
and sorry, posted in the wrong topic..
the zoom comment should have been in that kickstarter topic

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

No worries, I want to see a beta hershfield,  even if we had those filler islands it could be less work faster content.  Just trying to help.

We have discussed it just some minutes ago and it seems to be possible to bring over the dev terraforming tools into the test client and give a few guys access to a newly generated zone. Not everyone on the test server cause that would be chaos I think.

I'd suggest a few things, the people working on this dedicated to a weekly meeting and a sub forum section.  To share ideas and post concepts.  If it flows better with the team designate rolls so the works symmetrical.

DEV Zoom wrote:

We have discussed it just some minutes ago and it seems to be possible to bring over the dev terraforming tools into the test client and give a few guys access to a newly generated zone. Not everyone on the test server cause that would be chaos I think.

hmmm that actually does sound like fun tongue

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

does a single instance, with no NPCs need much server power?

Annihilator wrote:

does a single instance, with no NPCs need much server power?

An instance of what? An island? Cause that's mostly just memory.

and memory costs you, right? (or kills the server in budapest big_smile)

No, but it's obviously finite. But I don't think that's an issue currently, and even if, we can always deactivate some unused zones on the test server.

I know your super busy but if we could get a random map generated so we can start planning that'd be amazing.

DEV Zoom wrote:

No, but it's obviously finite. But I don't think that's an issue currently, and even if, we can always deactivate some unused zones on the test server.

You can download more anytime. http://downloadmoreram.com/download.html

Jasdemi wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

You can download more anytime. http://downloadmoreram.com/download.html

Holy moly fuuu

I speak broken English.

1.65 volts for ddr3 seems a bit high ;p

Amazing!

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD