1 (edited by Celebro 2015-05-19 20:39:36)

Topic: Progress updates from Developers

I think this proposal will benefit the relationship between developers and players.

I am not proposing for a daily or weekly blog. What I would really like to see is a little more information on the progress of incoming updates a forum post is fine by me. If there are any delays or unforseen circumstances where updates are not on schedule, I and as many others might agree, would like to be aware in more detail what is going on. We all know problems and delays arise, if it's taking longer, why?

This is not to scrutinize the progress, this keeps the players interested and feels more like you are all nearer to your goals and shows you keeping on working. This is not about getting an estimate time of completion that you wouldn't know for sure.

So to rephrase ,I would like to get a little more detail of the the issues the may arise during development and keep us as part of the process maybe we would understand better and be more sympathetic and more involved.

RIP PERPETUUM

Re: Progress updates from Developers

well, we got an status update ingame by CRM big_smile

playing the game, not only the forums keeps you updated! i like that cool

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Not everyone is on GC though and all status updates should be copied on Steam too!

RIP PERPETUUM

4 (edited by Burial 2015-05-19 21:15:31)

You care a lot more about the game than they do about the players.

It's taking longer simply because noone had a proper estimate on how long such a complex system would take to develop. There is no holdup, it simply takes longer.

Player support and the bugfixes here and there already take away a lot of time that could be spent on missions, so I'm sorry about the silence but I rather spend the available time on development instead of blogs.

I can tell you that the mission templates are done and working (though texts are mostly still missing), the highway and teleport network rework is done for New Virginia, where we will test the whole system for the first time and which will serve as a model for all the other zones.

Currently we're working on a program that will populate the zones with mission structures so we don't have to place hundreds of them by hand.

Once that's done and we have done our internal testing, it will hit the PTS. That will be a mechanic testing, as balancing will be all over the place. After that we will have a balancing phase where we configure the final rewards, NPC difficulties, item quantities, relation gains, and so on.

Then, while you're still testing New Virginia, we'll do Attalica and Daoden, and those 3 will be the initial release of the new system for the live server.

And I will tell you the same and more in a blog once testing begins.

Ok. Its taking longer than expected but when do you expect it done now?

7 (edited by Celebro 2015-05-19 21:56:12)

Thank you Zoom! That is exactly what I wanted to hear. Keep them coming every now and then, I am sure it didn't take up too much of your time.

We are all aware and understand that when you start with a new system like changing/improving the missions drastically , things get more complex unexpectedly.

RIP PERPETUUM

Zoom - how much are you willing to redo the highways if the system presented on the PTS fails to deliver?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Annihilator wrote:

Zoom - how much are you willing to redo the highways if the system presented on the PTS fails to deliver?

Depends on the scale of the change.

10 (edited by Annihilator 2015-05-20 00:39:48)

well, its just that this didn't look very promising to me back when it was posted early this year.
I was waiting for a bigger picture, including in-faction connections and inter-faction tavel routes to comment it in detail.

The connection between islands won't change. The only exception will be probably some added parallel connections between some islands.

DEV Zoom wrote:

The connection between islands won't change. The only exception will be probably some added parallel connections between some islands.

Screen shot of the proposed new HWY layout ? big_smile

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Celebro wrote:

Not everyone is on GC though and all status updates should be copied on Steam too!

+1

Most Steam forum comments are negative, and probably offsets the exposure steam gives this game now without further advertising.
More Dev blogs and involvement with the community shows, in a less subjective way, that the game is still alive and growing.

Also I would like to mention Zoom has gone on record saying an email-newsletter would be sent out for the new update to draw past players back in. big_smile

The program you are working on to save time placing structures. Are you thinking using that in the future when you add more islands or instances for missions?

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

The program you are working on to save time placing structures. Are you thinking using that in the future when you add more islands or instances for missions?

It's not smart enough to decorate a new island with everything on its own, if that's what you mean. This one simply helps us to evenly fill the island with mission target structures and the new field terminals. And "evenly fill" is all it does basically. It only looks for walkable terrain, and we still have to finetune all of them so they don't just stupidly stand there in the middle of a clearing. That finetuning part would require some serious AI.

DEV Zoom wrote:

I have been discussing This topic over about a week now. My argument is that the connections between the islands is  a large factor in the stale market. While there is faction related resources its separation is pointless due to the fact that they are all alpha connected. There is not much to gain by farming a resource off an alpha island. But there is a risk of losing a bot on beta. Risk Vs reward I feel has not found a good position.

My proposal is to shift Beta into the inner circle connections. Make Gamma an outer circle, and alpha would sit comfortably between beta/gamma. The result of my brain storm left a connection map something like this: http://i.imgur.com/0mcJaro.png

Expectations are that it is more difficult to farm faction related resources. Players can still park in an alpha and gather 100% safely, but moving it carries an increased risk. There is no way to get resources to another alpha with zero risk (possible private assignments boost). Beta/Gamma travel would be more common, making them more dangerous(PvP). Holding Terminals and Gamma land is now a larger benefit for safer paths in moving goods(Market activity).

In closing not many players i have discussed this with have had much of anything negative to say about it. And I feel like it would help to strengthen many aspects of the game. So I bring it to the public forum for review.

There is a stale market because three people and a turnip play the game and by now even the turnip has completed research and has whatever they need.

What the devs call power creep is actually the only way to maintain industrial content including an active market.

For those curious, this is what the above mentioned program does:
http://pasteboard.co/DfzpLIY.png
(Random points are mission targets that don't require any structure, e.g. mission NPC or artifact spawn points.)

you don't take regular terminals and outposts into consideration?
and for the mission generator, do you calculate teleport and highways too?

Annihilator wrote:

you don't take regular terminals and outposts into consideration?

Yes we do.

Annihilator wrote:

and for the mission generator, do you calculate teleport and highways too?

Calculate into what?

21 (edited by Perpetuum 2015-05-21 19:07:14)

Someday's I think anni puts more thought into things then many others attempt and fail at.

He means for est time of completion.  You know so the adequate time bonus's can be correct.

I am Perpetuum.

No we can't consider that due to technical reasons, but also because it would be easily exploited. Also, we don't check completion time, but distances. The "walking compensation" part of the mission reward takes the beeline between the (randomly selected) mission target locations and turns that into a NIC bonus. How you make your way between the targets is up to you.

Obviously if you get target locations that you can rush through via highways/internal teleports then you're in luck because you get more compensation than you deserve. But the randomness makes it all fair in the end because it can also make you go around a mountain, in which case you have it worse than the beeline.

Zoom, your English is better than 90% of America.  Kudos to you.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:

Zoom, your English is better than 90% of America.  Kudos to you.

thats probably why the gamma turrets work so well

amirite?

Turrets have worked that way for the past oh... Two years?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.