Topic: Gold farmers: The unsung heroes of MMOs?

http://perpetuum-online.blogspot.com/

In this newest blog, we see a dev cruelly ban some innocent little gold farmers who wanted nothing other than to feed their families of 10 children (Most likely, the money whoever sent them went to feeding little Cao Cao and Lu Bu, but the rest of the children will starve sad. But thank you for saving those two children, you sir are a true man).

Lets stop to think a moment though, on how important gold farmers are to MMOs, especially small operations like this. That's what, 12 toons? At 3 toons per account, that is 4 accounts they actually bought. At 9.99 each, that's pretty much 40$ put into the pockets of the devs.

But not only did they put that 40$ in the devs pocket, there is a sort of rippling effect. Lets say a player, we'll call him Axe, is pretty new at the same and discouraged. He lost his light bot because he didn't know the beta islands were a scary place for newbies and some evil M2S guys ganked him, and then trolled him about it later for good measure. Naturally he is crying and about to rage quit.

But wait! An angel appears, delivering a miraculous deal. While Axe might not be rich in Perpetuum, he is actually a successful stock broker in real life and has loads of real life money to dump into the game (Naturally, he doesn't know that he could just hire an army of servants or make some elaborate multiboxing rig, but he is a newbie so we will forgive him). So with the simple words, "U buy gold 4 cash?", our newbie friend has a second wind! All of a sudden he has been gifted with the NIC to buy 100 assault bots, that M2S gank means nothing now! He is unstoppable! He promptly buys a years subscription because now he -knows- he can succeed at the game. Those are like what, 100$ or so? So now, thanks to this little gold farmer, the devs now have 140$ in their pockets.

But there is more! Now, the gold farmer is caught and banned! But it isn't the end of the story, no, NOTHING can beat the unfatiguable spirit of the gold farmer's devotion to feeding his family of 20. He drops ANOTHER 40$ on the game to get some more accounts! So we have like what, 200$ to the devs all from the actions of one player? Can any of you guys top that? I doubt it.

So lets hear it for the valiant gold farmers who do their best to support the games we love smile

Re: Gold farmers: The unsung heroes of MMOs?

So, this is gold farming for devs?

i cant tell if you are being serious or not but either way ill bite

ahhhhhhhhhhh nope there is nothing good about gold farming at all its only leads to massive issues ingame and out of it
the only people that win from it are the people buying the gold and the brokers

4 (edited by Exekile 2011-01-02 11:22:08)

Ekim wrote:

i cant tell if you are being serious or not

... really?

Doing RMT at this point of the game development is pants-on-the-head ***.

Community still this small, it is easy enough to spot some NI HAO ultraminers, and nuke em out.

Good job. You just killed 15 chinese families. roll

I reported them, go me!

Jasdemi wrote:

Good job. You just killed 15 chinese families. roll

Much more effective population control then the silly one-child policy of the people's republic of China.

Perp devs should send a bill over to Beijing for their assistance to the glorious republic.

*Insert really awesome sig here*

They should get a real job, like manufacturing or heavy industrial work.

The Green Monster wrote:

Or go back to nike sweatshops.

Siddy wrote:
The Green Monster wrote:

Or go back to nike sweatshops.

Yea! Kids these day will never understand what real hard work is with their 80 hour work weeks and video game sweat shops, a generation of wimps.

The dev's should give them perma flags, so we can grief them in alpha. I would be up for that. I don't want it like ever, where whatever you do you make the same isk, same level, since Happy Go Valley farmers are crashing economy.....

Hey,

Nic Sellers ? in Perpetuum ?

Not on my watch!! yarr

We have been Nominated for GAME OF THE YEAR on
http://www.mmorpg-center.com/mmorpg-cen … ice-awards

GM Techbridge wrote:

Hey,

Nic Sellers ? in Perpetuum ?

Not on my watch!! yarr

Just use cheap ammo with the AK*ban-47. It takes them out just as fast and costs you less $ per shell.

Gold Farmers almost never pay monthly fees legit.

They make the initial payment on a credit card.  Then before they have to make a payment they claim the charge was fraudulent and charge-back to regain their money.

Not only does this not mean money in the Devs' pockets, they usually get hit with a service fee from their bank as a result.

This process has been discussed ad nauseum for other MMOs (i.e. WoW) and I'm sure they'd use the same approach here.  (Paypal has to honor charge-backs just like normal banks.)

====================================

I realize the OP was using this as satire, but it does perpetuate the false belief that gold farmers help fund games.