1 (edited by Celebro 2014-09-08 15:27:51)

Topic: The psychology behind 'losing'.

Is there really anything to lose when you lost a fight/s to other players?

No- This is a sandbox and there are no winners and losers. Let's boiling down to what you have really 'lost'; time. Time playing a game you are supposed to enjoy working towards a goal. It maybe hard and feel like lost time, but looking from another angle it's time to reflect where you went wrong and making the impossible a little more possible. Learning from loses or mistakes is part of the game.

Are players leaving because they 'lost'?

I am not sure, you would need to ask the players leaving. My guess is their mentality is wrong for this game. Where is the challenge when you always win, and if you do always win how can you compare it to any lack of failure, if there is non. Another thing is about your expectations, if you're going to a fight ready to lose but your aim is to take a few of your enemies then you have won. Expectation needs to be realistic.

I hope this helps new and maybe old players to this sandbox game, expecting to be a hero in a few weeks or months.
Nothing political intended here. Just a way to be more open minded about this type of MMO.

RIP PERPETUUM

2 (edited by Blocker 2014-09-08 15:51:14)

Re: The psychology behind 'losing'.

Well not everyone likes or wants to pvp, so winning or losing is not really relevant to them. I think these sort of players leave simply because there is not a lot here for them to do after the initial discovery period wears off.
I myself personally don't care if I win or lose, and in fact some of my most enjoyable encounters have been on the losing side. Upon reflection this last comment about the losing side is not really relevant, due to the fact most of my encounters are on the losing side big_smile

Blocker wrote:

Well not everyone likes or wants to pvp, so winning or losing is not really relevant to them. I think these sort of players leave simply because there is not a lot here for them to do after the initial discovery period wears off.
I myself personally don't care if I win or lose, and in fact some of my most enjoyable encounters have been on the losing side. Upon reflection this last comment about the losing side is not really relevant, due to the fact most of my encounters are on the losing side big_smile

Good, I think it's quite clear that on those who like pvp, they will expect loses, so I guess it's to do with the boring grind and the playability of the game or the players expectations of the game.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro, great post!

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

5 (edited by Race Drones 2014-09-08 17:10:30)

Celebro wrote:

Inactive corporations make people stop playing.

I stop playing Perp fifteen days in my first attempt.

I guess now I have been lucky in my second attempt, not because CIR/77 are a power, but because I am learning a lot with them about the game, and they are very active people.

EDIT: ... and +1 to your post Celebro.

Ignorance is curable, Stupidity is not.
The "Planet of the Apes" is not science fiction, is a daily reality.
All is in "The Matrix".
See Beyond the Obvious.

Race drones is a hero to the motherland!!

a gaming DEV once called it "negative gameplay" - the oppositte of "fun" or "engaging gameplay".

examples for that are:
- walking long distances with nothing to do but watching.
- losing a robot after walking a long distance without having gained anything
- losing a robot plus all its cargo after walking a long distance and grinding a boring place
- losing a robot after all the previous to other player without even having a real "fight" because of crowd control mechanics

fun gameplay is:
- engaging in PvP when I am prepared to do so
- engaging in PvE with an intelligent AI and getting a reward even if my robot explodes before the last npc died.
- engaging in PvE, getting ambushed by another player and beeing able survive by counter-attacking.

to bad that the later points are simply not present, and not very well understood by most DEVs.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Race Drones wrote:
Celebro wrote:

Inactive corporations make people stop playing.

This certainly can play a big role, though I must point out inactive corporations result from people stopping playing in the first place. So there must be an underlying issue, which ends with the game itself first. There is also a choice in joining another corporation too.

RIP PERPETUUM

9 (edited by Jita 2014-09-08 17:49:52)

Celebro wrote:

No- This is a sandbox and there are no winners and losers. Let's boiling down to what you have really 'lost'; time. Time playing a game you are supposed to enjoy working towards a goal. It maybe hard and feel like lost time, but looking from another angle it's time to reflect where you went wrong and making the impossible a little more possible. Learning from loses or mistakes is part of the game.

I am not sure, you would need to ask the players leaving. My guess is their mentality is wrong for this game. Where is the challenge when you always win, and if you do always win how can you compare it to any lack of failure, if there is non. Another thing is about your expectations, if you're going to a fight ready to lose but your aim is to take a few of your enemies then you have won. Expectation needs to be realistic.

I hope this helps new and maybe old players to this sandbox game, expecting to be a hero in a few weeks or months.
Nothing political intended here. Just a way to be more open minded about this type of MMO.

Losing doesn't matter really. I think for the most part losing can be as much fun as winning. That however can be changed by negative gameplay. PvP has to be a fun experience and disconnects, smack talk and blue balling are some of the things that have made that less fun over the years.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

10 (edited by Burial 2014-09-08 18:38:16)

Leaders motivate people. If they can't motivate themselves, they can't be expected to motivate others.

Main reasons new guys give us for stopping playing;

- Grindy PVE/bad missions
- Boring game/nothing fun to do outside PVP

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Celebro wrote:

The problem I see with the logic is this. You're dealing with people, and people inherently want the least amount of risk for the most amount of reward. This is why you have people banding together to achieve a common goal instead of standing on their own merits, or lack thereof, and staying that way because the idea of their pixels exploding is too disheartening to fathom.

And when you're dealing with time, it's relative to the situation. I was reading thru some of my old post not too long ago, and there was a post I made nearly 4 years ago about having to spend 4X as much time on boring/grindy gameplay to get to the 1 or 2 hours (max) of fun stuff. You can really only expect people to do that a few times before most will give up and spend their "time" doing things that they consider fun - even if that means not spending time in this game.

Reset each other yet?

Burial wrote:

Leaders motivate people. If they can't motivate themselves, they can't be expected to motivate others.

Syndic wrote:

Main reasons new guys give us for stopping playing;

- Grindy PVE/bad missions
- Boring game/nothing fun to do outside PVP

You know... I play Dota 2 last time. There are no leaders and PvE. Moreover PvE - is a stupid waste of time (personaly for me). Also no need to motivate me to play Dota - this game just fair and interesting.

BTW: There are absolutely no balance between classes and picks, but there are one of the best kind of balance at all.

No, i don't think that perpetuum should be like dota (cause of different concept). But i think that ppl loses should not be fatal.

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

14 (edited by Asson DeAmor 2014-09-09 10:26:22)

Syndic: Let me have your attention for a moment! So you're talking about what? You're talking about...(puts out his cigarette)...complaining about that fleet you whelped, some son of a *** that doesn't want to log in, somebody that doesn't want what to pvp, some forum war you're jerking off to and so forth. Let's talk about something important.  They all here?

Anonymous: All but Merkle.

Syndic: Well, I'm going anyway. Let's talk about something important! (to Smokey) Put that cigarette down!! Cigarettes’ are for pvpers only. (Smokey coughs) Do you think I'm *** with you? I am not *** with you. I'm here from Beta. I'm here from CIR and 77. And I'm here on a mission of mercy. Your name's Smokey?

Smokey: Yeah.

Syndic: You call yourself a pvper, you son of a ***?

Jita: I don't have to listen to this ***.

Syndic: You certainly don't pal. 'Cause the good news is – you already quit. The bad news is you've got, all you got, just one more chance to regain your momentum, starting now. Starting with your next op. Oh, have I got your attention now? Good. 'Cause we're adding a little something to this month’s killboard. As you all know, first prize is a 6-Beta Island Sweep. Anyone want to see second prize? Second prize's a rental on Kentagura. Third prize is you suck. You get the picture? You're laughing now? You got bots and members. Joke and STC made good NIC. Get their FCs to outfit them! You can't lead the players you've recruited, you can't lead ***, you ARE ***, hit Alpha pal and beat it 'cause you are going out!!!

Smokey: The servers are weak.

Syndic: 'The servers are weak.' *** servers are weak? You're weak.

Jita: What's your philosophy?

Syndic: *** YOU, that's my philosophy!! You know why, joker? 'Cause you live on Alpha tonight, I live wherever the *** I want. That's my philosophy!! (to Jita) And your philosophy is "you're whining." And you can't play in a man's game. You can't lead them. (at a near whisper) And you go to Alpha and tell STC your troubles. (to everyone again) Because only one thing counts in this game! Get them to die under the heel which is stomping! You hear me, you *** maggots?

(Syndic flips over a blackboard which has two sets of letters on it: ABC, and AIDA.)

Syndic: A-B-C. A-always, B-been, C-crying. Always been crying! Always been crying!! A-I-D-A. Attention, interest, decision, action. Attention -- do I have your attention? Interest -- are you interested? I know you are because you're still reading forums. You lead or you hit Alpha! Decision -- have you made your decision to Play?!! And action. A-I-D-A; log in and get out there!! You got the recruits comin' in; you think they came in through Steam to get out of the rain? Guy doesn't sub into this game unless he wants to play. Sitting out there waiting to give you their loyalty! Are you gonna take it? Are you man enough to take it? (to Jita) What's the problem pal? You. Jita.

Jita: You're such a hero, you're so tough. Why you coming down here and waste your time on a bunch of bums?

(Syndic sits and takes off his epriton plated watch)

Syndic: You see this watch? You see this watch?

Jita: Yeah.

Syndic: That watch cost more than your MK2 mining fleet. My guys mined 970,000U of epi last month. How much yours’ mine? You see, pal, that's who I am. And you're nothing. Nice guy? I don't give a ***. Good forum warrior? *** you -- go to Zoom and cry about plasma bombs!! (to everyone) You wanna win here? Lead!!  You think this is abuse? You think I’m trying to ruin the game, you cocksucker? You can't take this -- how can you take the abuse you’d get with a real population?! You don't like it -- leave. I can go out there tonight with the resources you got, get myself fifteen kills! Tonight! In two hours! Can you? Can you? Go and do likewise! A-I-D-A!! Get mad! You sons of ***! Get mad!! You know what it takes to lead fleets?

(He pulls it out)

Syndic: It takes brass balls to lead fleets.

(He's holding two brass balls on string, over the appropriate "area"--he puts them away after a pause)

Syndic: Go and do likewise, gents. The recruits are out there, you seek them out, they’re yours. You don't--I have no sympathy for you. You wanna go out on those ops tonight and lead, log in, it's yours. If not you're going to be buying my epriton. Bunch of losers sitting around Alpha. (in a mocking weak voice) "Oh yeah, I used to be on Beta, it's a tough racket." (he takes out a graph of long horizontal yellow lines from the top 10 of the killboard) These are the recent kills. These are the CIR/77 Kills. And to you, they're unattainable. And you can’t compete with them. Why? Because to log in and fight might mean throwing away a few bots.

I'd wish you good luck but you wouldn't know what to do with it if you got it. (to Jita as he puts on his watch again) And to answer your question, old pal: why am I here? I came here because CIR and 77 asked me. They asked me for a favor. I said, the real favor, follow my advice and stomp your *** *** because a loser is a loser.

I didn't read it but I think you need therapy and to stop living your life through others.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

RESET EACH OTHER YET?

No?

YOU LOSE ARGUEMENT.

Reset each other yet?

what is this I dont even...

CIR Complaint Form

SmokeyIndustries wrote:

RESET EACH OTHER YET?

No?

YOU LOSE ARGUEMENT.

I can't overcome willful ignorance. Your lack of responsibility for your actions is pathological. Even cons have admitted to more mistakes than your alliance.

Ville wrote:
SmokeyIndustries wrote:

RESET EACH OTHER YET?

No?

YOU LOSE ARGUEMENT.

I can't overcome willful ignorance. Your lack of responsibility for your actions is pathological. Even cons have admitted to more mistakes than your alliance.

Please enlighten everyone to our mistakes! We're not the ones that manufactured excuses to hate the other team so as to drive them from the game, nor was that ever our intention to begin with when we left the alliance. We set out to shake things up, get some more pvp, and we did. YOU and YOURS made it a mission to destroy by any means nessicary, that which you didn't like, as if our existence was somehow an affront to you.

I guess our biggest mistake really is thinking that STAG would hold their own on another island, but they up and disappeared as soon as we left the alliance. Our intention was a 3 way fight like the old days. But, alas, you're not interested in anything but dominating everyone and everything.

Reset each other yet?

Reset each other yet?

Your existence is an affront to us.

Go play diablo. lol

CIR Complaint Form

Reset each other yet?

Reset each other yet?

Never. smile

CIR Complaint Form

Celebro wrote:

Another thing is about your expectations, if you're going to a fight ready to lose but your aim is to take a few of your enemies then you have won. Expectation needs to be realistic.

Exactly this!

I can talk about losing... And after I can talk about winning alone. Now I would need more teamplay exprience.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

An interesting post but a very one sided view of the discussion and not surprised the usual suspects we're all for it.

Quitting and losing are two entirely different topics, people will always do what they feel is right for them at the time, I quit eve just as I got my Titan and everything was swimming so it wasn't losing but other factors.

Some people still won't risk loss in a no-loss game like WOW so loss is not always the concern but could be many other factors based on an individual psyche,  syndic raged and quit when he got banned, I quit when I started playing MWO.  My factor was more fun, *** was being sleighted.

People have quit for every reason under the sun and losing is only one of them.

Now in a game with real world loss people effectively have to deal with the same factors of loss that anyone does, denial, anger, acceptance and moving on and very much on an internet game basis a very personal and subjective thing unlike real life where you have family and friends to help deal with loss

Everyone copes with loss at their own pace and that is directly linked with how much they have invested psychologically and emotionally into a game.  For example I walked away from perp very easily after 18 months and yet 12 months of MWO and I was very annoyed and quitting because of what I saw as a betrayal by the developers (3pv if anyone's still reading) and I'd played a lot of mechwarrior as I grew up

Anyway enough iphone waffling from Majorca!

Just a quick brain dump above