1 (edited by Celebro 2014-07-11 14:49:26)

Topic: Multi accounting is getting really resource intensive

I know that a  4gb-quad core pc does not cut it, but that's what I always had since I started playing perp and every time this game gets updated during the years I really can't have 3 account open without slowing whole my system down.

I know I need more ram but I would rather wait and buy a new one later this year or early next year. But for others who are not so fortunate , I wanted to ask if anything is being done to make the client more effiecent.

In another multi account game I don't seem to get the slow down this game seems to suffer from, sometimes only with 2 account. Even 1 one client + broswer really makes my system slow even more so than other games with better  graphics.

P.s This is not a network/internet issue, that is fine.

RIP PERPETUUM

Re: Multi accounting is getting really resource intensive

I use a quad core with 16gb of ram and an ssd for the operating system and don't get any lag running 7 accounts providing I have everything turned down. I have a 2 gig graphics card which helps I think but my rig is by no means high end.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

That's what I am getting at, the clients seem to want vast amounts of RAM. My only option would be swap my 2x2gb of RAM for 2x4gb but good overclocking DDR2 RAM is pretty expensive for an old system would rather wait longer for a shiney new PC in my case.

I have 1gb video memory on a Nvidia GTX 650, so a 2gb video could surely help I suppose, specially on a HD monitor.

RIP PERPETUUM

4 (edited by Jita 2014-07-11 17:53:15)

Celebro wrote:

That's what I am getting at, the clients seem to want vast amounts of RAM. My only option would be swap my 2x2gb of RAM for 2x4gb but good overclocking DDR2 RAM is pretty expensive for an old system would rather wait longer for a shiney new PC in my case.

I have 1gb video memory on a Nvidia GTX 650, so a 2gb video could surely help I suppose, specially on a HD monitor.

well i put my whole pc together for £350 about a year and a half ago. Treat yourself, your worth it! big_smile

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

5 clients @ 4coreFX

no probs

go away

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

Client optimizations would be really nice certainly a good QoL thing. Might even entice me and others with low end hardware to get another account, Jast saying. hmm

RIP PERPETUUM

I have an older machine that's duo core and 4 gigs.  It runs one client well, starts to studder with two and three makes Baby Jesus cry. 

I really wished we could get a "lower graphics setting."  Since I don't use the PC actively I typically put my RR guys for ratting and buff bots there.

On lowest settings I would like to see explosion animation turned off, I'd also like to see energy and weapon turned off.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

8 (edited by Yojimbo 2014-07-21 14:51:17)

I agree with the OP and want to reinforce what Ville has posted as well as others. 

I have returned after a long hiatus and I find the client is now far more resource hungry.  It's okay with two clients running but sends my upgraded P/S into hyper drive constantly.  Three clients are no longer possible.

I like to run a miner just sitting there extracting, then harvest with my Symbiont guy while my combat guy autopilots to assignment locations.  So really, I only need/want high end graphics during combat for the pew pew visuals.  It would be nice to be able to tone down client resource needs for the non combat toons.

UPDATE :: I did some empirical testing by comparing P/S temp (work) with graphics "as is" (maxxed) versus all graphics to min values except draw distance - I got about 25% reduction in average P/S temp with spikes consistently present when leaving terminals, teleporting, i.e., when ever mass changes to data or graphics ensue.

Now, my graphics card and P/S were high end upgrades two years ago.  I'm thinking the real answer is to upgrade my whole system.  Since I can't do that right now ($$$ issues) I guess I'll have to live with wimpier graphics.

/agree

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

i hope you guys play with V-Sync on.

I remember my old system overheating from 120+ FPS while in terminal or on login screen. also deactivate all the fancy forced filter in your system settings.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I want a highly dumbed down graphic setting.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

I want better optimized clients so I can run more accounts on a machine

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

when we are about to make crazy wishes...
i want a game that i can enjoy to the fullest with a single client running.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

WTB better optimization

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice