Topic: Gropho :: Armor versus Shields ???

I'll try to keep this to the point.

Playing with my Gropho loadout.  That native shield buff is screaming to be utilized.  And if this is anything like EvE, omni tanks are more for PvP while rat specific tanks are for NPCs.

So I need to ask : what are the best ways to fit a Gropho for NPC combat ?  What are the issues ?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer !!!

Re: Gropho :: Armor versus Shields ???

ERP, medium plate, repair 2 racial hardeners
6 launchers
all tuners

+ energy transfer and remote repair and remote sensor amp follow bot

solo gropho in pve 2 sensor amps rest tunings pluse previously listed legs.

pvp use shield plus rechargers.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

armor tank for pve

shield tank for pvp

Logi for both big_smile

I've been playing with loadouts as outlined above and here's what I found :: an ECCM trumps a  sensor amp if you have a follow bot with remote sensor amp(s). 

The sensor amps are great for rapidly re-targeting after your locks are whacked.  But I am finding it better to maintain locks in the first place compared to increased speed of re-locking.  So, sensor amp(s) on the follow bot with ECCM on the combat bot.

Now, what I want to test out is whether or not to displace two missile tuners with two ECCMs.  Which is better : more DPS per hit or maintaining locks for uninterrupted DPS. 

When I did some beacons, the NPCs were whacking my locks serially and I could not get a shot off.  In that case, I'd have to go with 2 ECCMs.  Spawn farming seems fine with a single ECCM.  In both cases, I find ECCM superior to Sensor Amp on the combat bot unless soloing (no follow bot) as stated above by Ville.

Opinions please ?

im not so experienced with gropho, but i prefer dual RSA and a fast-lock nexus on my Support Bot.
aside of that, i would fit all headslots with tuners and all lows with uni-hardeners. The second NEXUS buff from my support is then assault.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

im not so experienced with gropho, but i prefer dual RSA and a fast-lock nexus on my Support Bot.
aside of that, i would fit all headslots with tuners and all lows with uni-hardeners. The second NEXUS buff from my support is then assault.

kk - my follow bot is not Nexus capable yet - and I must devote EP to core competencies currently.  So, this represents a great longer term goal for my RivelRepper !!!

Now, going on my generalized experience with EvE, Omni Tanks, i.e., all universal hardeners, are more for PvP when you cannot predict with high certainty what damage type will be thrown at you.  For Rats, you know the damage type with fairly good certainty, so you can load up on the appropriate resists to maximally minimize incoming DPS.  Having said, it is certainly worth a try to fit as you describe and see how it goes.  I can test these ideas out while spawn camping, which is way less of a concern compared to 3-flag-beacons...

Thanks to all for your contributions so far !!!

just fit duel plate duel universal hardener and all tunings in the high slots with a remote rep with all armor repair tunings, two remote sensor amps and 3 remote repairs and all accumulator rechargers (in a riveler), you should be fine.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

8 (edited by Annihilator 2014-07-21 17:03:43)

ah, yeah, i forgot, im am used to a seth... so i use uni plates to minimize my accumulator drain to have everything for my weapons and that one self-repair i always fit for worst case (which doesn't happen with the current broken npc AI)

i guess next time, i go out with active resists for the 10 points higher resists cool

edit: if you can get youre hands on them, prototype T4 weapon tunings have a slightly better cycletime buff, elite ones got the better damage buff. in PvE you should not fear to lose them
T4P missile launcher can hold twice the ammo

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Just wanted to thank you guys for your input !  I read all the posts and tried out some loadouts while farming NPCs.

Slightly off topic : The first thing I notice is that dual ECCMs are pretty much worthless.  I think it's strange that I keep getting serially jammed even with dual T4 ECCMs.  It does prevent some jam attempts, but not enough to justify dedicating two head slots, not even close. 

So, I tried the sensor amp approach --> dual T4 sensor amps on my RivelRepper.  It's very annoying to be jammed so frequently, but at least I can lock quickly and get some volleys off with the advantage that all my head slots are dedicated to missile tunings.  Plus, standard aggro management applies, like only lock one jamming type bot at a time, and deal with adds as they lock on.

More on topic : Using 1 universal hardener, two active racial hardeners for primary and secondary DPS types, and a medium plate, my RivelRepper has no problem keeping up with DPS even with 6 Hero Berserkers firing at me simultaneously.  On purpose, I wait for the spawn to produce 2X triple packs of Berserkers and I'll aggro all of them at once.  My health bar hits 50% but by then the non-primaried NPCs get bored and disengage.   Bottom line, this set up is handling terrain spawns just fine.

So, I'm saving up EP to get my DPS higher before I take on a max beacon.  I did some wimpy beacons as a test and I don't think the broken aggro triggers apply to beacons the same as for terrain NPCs.  For one, the RivelRepper is targeted  by the initial wave, but no subsequent.  Then, the attacking NPCs do not disengage, so there is a need to recovery max health between waves.  I'm not 100% I'm can do this solo and/or at current DPS capability.  But fortunately, my extensions are far from maxed out, so I have plenty of DPS and Armor skills yet to be applied.

That's great!

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

So long as you don't target a rat they won't target you no matter if beacons or not. If your fitting sensor amps on any not ratting your losing efficiency. Remote sensor amps are better with your damage not having all damage tunings. As your riveler should never be targeted it only has to lock once and so do all armor tunings on that too.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Jita wrote:

So long as you don't target a rat they won't target you no matter if beacons or not. If your fitting sensor amps on any not ratting your losing efficiency. Remote sensor amps are better with your damage not having all damage tunings. As your riveler should never be targeted it only has to lock once and so do all armor tunings on that too.

I have noticed something different.  If I use a RivelRepper to help activate a beacon, it WILL be targeted by the some of beacon spawn on the initial wave without ever locking anything.  My approach there is to take out anything shooting at my Riveler first.  After the first wave, what you say is what I observe.

I think I partially misspoke on sensor amps : I'm using ONLY remote sensor amps on my RivelRepper.  I have to agree that burning a head slot for internal sensor amps is not effective in the case of generating max DPS / max repps for PvE.