51 (edited by BigCountry 2010-12-15 20:31:05)

Re: 2880 ep for deleation

The way the current mechanics work, you can create a new agent and run the tutorial missions in an hour give or take. With the current market, you can literally gross 800k from cashing out the new agent after your done. You then transfer the 800k to your main agent.

That's what 90% of your player has done/did. big_smile

I bet it you SQL queried everyones account you will see all 3 slots taken for all of us...hehe

Fix it to where you can only run the tutorial missions once per account, then patch back in the ability to delete characters for free.

[img]http://www.cryptostudios.com/PO/Sigs/BC.jpg[/img]

DEV Zoom wrote:

Okay.

A new player buys an account, creates his first character. Nothing is charged (beyond the subscription fee obviously).

Let's say he does the tutorials, maybe even gets the light bot at the end. But he somehow figures this character doesn't fit his playstyle, so logs out and creates a second character. Still nothing is charged.

Maybe he does the tutorial missions again, maybe not. He probably did this character because he doesn't like lasers and wants to go missiles, or maybe wants an industrialist. All viable options.

But somehow he doesn't like this character either.

So he goes on to create a third character, maybe expecting that some miracle will happen, maybe thinking he missed an iwin button on the way, I don't know. Still nothing is charged.

He has now 3 characters, all fully capable to learn and do everything in the game.

Please, can someone explain me why a new player needs a fourth, new character to learn how the game works? What am I missing?

This is the exact sequence of events I went through:

1) Created first character, chose the laser faction. Went through tutorial, got first small bot that is laser spec'd. Tried playing with laser bot, found it way too difficult to manage accumulator. Spent a couple skill points here and there, not a big loss.

2) Created second character, chose missile faction. Went through tutorial, got first small bot that is missile spec'd. Played with missile bot, really enjoyed it.

3) Created third character, chose whatever, decided to focus heavily on industrial side. Didn't do tutorial, just went out and mined and ate some kernals. Researched a blueprint to make sonic missiles.

4) Played again on second character. Went out roaming. Got a** handed to me by a mag weapon bot. Thought to myself, "Hey, I've tried two of the three weapons so far, might as well give the 3rd a shot. Sure I'll lose some of the skillpoints I spent on that first character slot, but I'm liking missiles more than lasers anyway, might as well do it."

5) Return to character select screen, choose to delete laser agent.

6) Stare dumbfounded at screen. Lose 2 future days worth of skillpoints just to delete a character?! Really?

7) Ragequit.

Note, step 7 didn't actually happen. Instead I went back to playing on missile bot and dreaming about what mag weapons might be like.

53 (edited by Red Five 2010-12-15 22:09:13)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Keep in mind that EP is account based. Why spend EP on another character just to try out new equipment, why not just spend them simply on your main?

You do know about the OCD phenomenon in stEve, right? There are plenty of people out there that hate to have wasted skills on their skill sheet and hate seeing it on others skilll sheets. It is not all in the mind, neither. Toons being sold in stEve that have wasted EP sell for less.

Lets say a combat toon has 40m skills in combat stuff and 10m skills in industry, he will sell for less than another toon that has 40m just in combat stuff and nothing else, cos of the OCD factor.

So because of this, in Perp, some n00bs are gonna start up new toons to check out the different wep sets.

This is not the be all and end all of reasons why people start new toons but it's a factor.

Confirming I dont have OCD btw, it's just other people

Mags are the best wink

Jelan wrote:

Mags are the best wink

Of course they are. Because they are the faction I didn't get to try with my 3 character limit.

For a full combat skilled ICS agent, takes

• 1431EP,
    thats 23h and 51min worth, to switch to missiles

• 504EP
    thats 8h 24min worth to switch to Lasers

or, if you start with a TM-A combat agent, it will cost you

• 1736EP
    thats 28h and 56min worth, to switch to either EM guns or Lasers.

you wont get the free weapons and bots from the tutorial missions, but there is really no need to delete an agent if you didnt f*ck up the attribute choices.

Annihilator wrote:

• 1431EP,

• 504EP

• 1736EP

you wont get the free weapons and bots from the tutorial missions, but there is really no need to delete an agent if you didnt f*ck up the attribute choices.

You make a good point. I honestly hadn't realized how few points are attributed to a specific race when creating a character. The cost of the piloting skill is a little steep, and I'll have to buy the robot itself, but overall not a big investment. Going to go give it a shot now.

Sorry that happened to ya but you should've read how the game is played before making such a decision.  I just started too but I always know to make 1 char at start, play him for a week and get to know the game before I attempt a second char.

As for your dc's I had that problem too, I'd suggest turning off shadows and lowering graphic settings, the game plays lag free for me now.

Cal Sinai wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

• 1431EP,

• 504EP

• 1736EP

You make a good point. I honestly hadn't realized how few points are attributed to a specific race when creating a character. The cost of the piloting skill is a little steep, and I'll have to buy the robot itself, but overall not a big investment. Going to go give it a shot now.

Thats the spirit, now if the rest of the people whining would take that attitude they'd save themselves a lot stress

60 (edited by BigCountry 2010-12-17 14:24:40)

Annihilator wrote:

• 1431EP,

• 504EP

• 1736EP

And what are you planning to fight in? lol

The AK-2 or a light bot?

You need the according robot control line to level 4 to at least pilot the assaults. And that's a pain in the arse if you have it at 0 when you switch. A lot longer than 24 hours. Possibly 2-3 days.

61 (edited by Rodger Dodger 2010-12-17 15:02:37)

I started playing a few days ago so I'm not one of those fabled 50k players so I hope my opinion is valid...

I cannot believe the petulent, childish and selfish whining that is going on in this thread by people who accuse the devs of being lazy or other such things when it is they themselves who could not be bothered to read basic instructions and demand other people are held accountable for their own ignorance.

But lets take an example of a game that most of us have played, WoW. In there you create a character with a defined class archytype that CANNOT be changed. You play it for a day or two and decide you don't like the archytype so delete it.

Where are the threads demanding that the devs refund lost xp? It is exactly the same concept, in Perpetuum EP is accumilated over time. In lvl based MMOs xp (the equivilant of EP) is accumilated over time.

The biggest difference is at least in Perpetuum you can continuously change your archytype, you can learn to use all weapon types and pilot all ship types with the same character.

2880 ep is two days. If you choose (emphasis on the word CHOOSE) to delete a character then you lose 2880 EP or two days, and as a side note you don't even have to be logged in for those two days unlike many other MMOs where xp accumiltation is dependant on time logged in.

Sorry but big frickin deal.

So you wanted to start with a different skill set. How about carry on building EP and just attribute those to the same character?

Or sure go ahead and delete that character but accept the fact that there is consequence to making that decision just as there is consequence to making the decision to stick with what you rolled.

If the concept of having to make a decision on your own is too daunting then phone a friend.

The only thing you cannot change is the name and avatar.... the world keeps turning.

I rarely take this stance but just about everyone who has posted a whine in this thread about losing 2880 ep how about you take your fingers out your ears, quit chanting "lalala not listening" and accept YOU are accountable so grow up.

62 (edited by BigCountry 2010-12-17 15:58:10)

2 days downtime is a lot of time for most people man. These games are competitive, and small niche games like this one, people are going to power game it to make it even more competitive. I can see both sides of the argument.

Regardless, new customers should not suffer for the tutorial mission exploit.

They should fix that correctly (1 tutorial mission max per account) and make deleting agents free...
sad

63 (edited by Rodger Dodger 2010-12-17 16:36:34)

2 days downtime is only competetive when the numbers are comparative and as time goes by that 2880 becomes more and more insiginificant.

Regardless, new customers are just as liable for their own decisions as old players and need to accept responsibility for their own actions. And if that new player never has to worry about the consequence of making a mistake in a game like Perpetuum (where i get the impression mistakes can lead to loss) then how are they going to learn?

Missing vital and important lessons so early on in ones gaming experience is far more damaging to ones ability to remain competetive long term than having 2880 ep in lasers instead of mag.