26 (edited by Ludlow Bursar 2013-01-14 13:20:26)

Re: Will I have to research on 2 characters?

Xira Indy Production wrote:

I currently have research and recycling on one character and industrial production on another

... an account that would otherwise get tossed because it's a dedicated prototype r, and I'm not willing to spend the kernels to get 2 characters up to speed in terms of their knowledge base. I'll likely just let one account expire and wait out the other one while it skills up in terms of prototyping.

Xira, I feel I am missing some information to understand this. Surely your research character is also your prototyper. Why would you discard the production character? You will get a bank of research points on the researcher which can't be transfered so it'll be far quicker to skill up your researcher in production than your producer in research points.

[EDIT]Of course what I meant to say was: "Why would you discard your research character?"[/EDIT]

27 (edited by Zortarg Calltar 2013-01-14 13:54:55)

Cassius wrote:

Of course some people will lose an advantage when things are changed. But IMO the intent of this change is to FIX a cumbersome research system that pretty much EVERYONE in game agrees that it sucks! My attitude is I want this game working better overall so maybe it will actually survive. If it costs me some slight inconvenience so be it. I'd rather waste a week of EP and play a great and lasting game than 2 years of EP on a game that stops existing.

I don't mind them changing things. This seems like a good common-sense change that will make the game more fun. I'm just trying to make them aware that they are making specialization a thing of the past, and I am stating that I think they should offer an EP reset to those affected.

An EP reset won't make me (much) more viable at mass production on Alpha, but it will allow me to keep an account that would otherwise get tossed because it's a dedicated prototype r, and I'm not willing to spend the kernels to get 2 characters up to speed in terms of their knowledge base, now that that will be necessary. I'll likely just let one account expire and wait out the other one while it skills up in terms of prototyping.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has an account this change will make superfluous.

you can donate the rp into the corp. with that you can still prototype the same way... the question is if you need the bonus on your mass production char.

one thing seams for certain atm: with corporate knowledge base the personal knowledgebase for prototyper will be of no greater importance. this will move to the mass produces if they are not on the same char.

as long as there is no significant bonus for the prototyper in this the knowledge base then this will be of no greater intrest anymore.
and even if, that bonus has to be significant because prototyping makes around ~10% of the total production costs (varies at different productions). so even if you get a 10% bonus in prototyping it will only affect the total production costs only by 1%.

[EDIT]Of course what I meant to say was: "Why would you discard your research character?"[/EDIT]

Because I'm only up to T2, and I figure it will take me less real time to re-research it than to wait out the extra EP I'll need to be able to mass produce on the research char.

Plus this way I'll be able to donate the research points to my corp, they'll probably give me something nice for it.

That's a good question. Will I be able to donate my Research points to the corp, or will corps eat kernels directly? Or both?

Blog says that you can donate.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086