Re: New devblog: Wall changes

Gremrod wrote:

This PBS system needs a lot of....... testing, testing, testing. On a test server! Not the live prod server.

The test needs to have about 4 or 5 differently configured PBS networks, maybe more. And then it needs to be attacked with different squads of different sizes.

+1 This would be the ideal way of implementing large content changing aspects of the game. I would prefer to wait for Devs to get it right the first time instead stuff endlessly getting nerfed. I only wonder if this small indy company have enough to invest in this time consuming probably expensive tasks to set a test server where players can join and test the new features as much as possible. IMO getting this 'mostly' right is crucial to the game's future.

Celebro's body guard

Tux wrote:

Well I will tell you right now what is going to happen with PBS as Rex mentioned. There are a few groups of players out there who will not use them for the first 3 months all they will do is destroy every last one of them. what this will do is will push  the Devs to make the PBS stronger and stronger until that attacking group of players get it the way they want to use it for defense. Then once all the buffs are added that attacking group of players will start deploying their own PBS’s pushing all the limits that the others never thought of and making the PBS system need a nerf because the limits were pushed too far.

I just want to break something .. gimme PBS !!!

I think so big_smile

I was just trolling the I-told-you-so trolls with my comment. It was pure sarcasm.

But seriously, Terraforming, Building Structures, and Destroying/Capturing Structures will be incredibly game changing (and exciting). I've been reading lots of speculation about how to Destroy Structures, how many hit-points, re-reinforcement mechanics, etc. But hell, I'm worried first about Teraforming. If you thought the walls on Kent were overdone and ugly wait until people start making cliffs and valleys and mountains and any number of terribly ugly island landscapes. Mount Pen1s!

I like the concept of a test server because there is no doubt this will all have to be tested and changed. No doubt. But the population is too low for a dedicated, separate server in my opinion. Personally, I don't mind being the Dev's Ginnie Pig, but I'd rather not invest all my assets into their testing only to lose those assets when the next round of changes come along. And I sure as *** don't need some 20/20 hindsight azzhole telling me after the fact that it's my fault for using game mechanics provided as if I'm supposed to know with precision which mechanics will stay and which will go and how. No one knows!

So perhaps there is some testing compromise on the live server where we try out these new mechanics without too much loss to our personal assets. Our Time, however, cannot be replaced, obviously.

This is where different people may have much better specific ideas than me, but conceptually, I'd like to be able to try out the Teraforming, Building and Destroying/Capturing on Test Islands that are not expected to be permanent. Perhaps Combat and Non-Combat test islands for all play-styles.

As long as we all know these islands will not be permanent we'll see far less outcry when it all changes. As it will. Perhaps put all the PBS related items on the market for free, but leave players responsible for their bots and mods. Also, allow players to keep any loot or minerals or PBS related research kernals taken from the test islands even if the islands themselves get deleted.

Sparking to other games