Re: DDOS ATTACKS - COMMUNITY SUPPORT FOR PERP AND THE DEVS

Lupus Aurelius wrote:

This has been substantial speculation as to the source of these attacks, and many have some very strong opinions as to who it could be.  Remember, however, that opinion is not fact, and unless there is objective evidence, it remains opinion.  Not to say that people do not have a right to voice an opinion, but it would behoove us not to be adamant in our opinions, nor to demonise or degrade someone for theirs.

methinks thou doest protest too much smile

jk

+1

+1 re subbed all my accounts \o/

more cake for all!

hmmmmm cake......

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

+1

/signed

Sparking to other games

+1

+1

+ 1 x3 yarr

Remedy Inc. recruiting. Schliess dich uns an. Bewerbung und Guides unter: www.remedy-inc.de
#Bad Robot
#RSI Star Citizen: REMEDY

Just c+p an idea I was kicking round on the TOG forums:

My 2c: A registration app. It runs and connects to one of 50 different IP addresses (using a shared algo to choose which one), it then authenticates with this mini server and adds your IP address to an upstream IP filter hosted by the ISP. This then allows you to login and not have your IP address blocked by the ISP.

In order to attack the game or login server the botnet would need to have all it's IPs registered and so reveal all the compromised computers, or all its traffic would be blocked by the ISP whitelist filter. It also prevents the randomised IP address commonly used in these types of attacks. If the attacker instead targets the mini authentication server, then the attack will only prevent people with a new IP address from registering, and only for the brief period of time that the login app is using that IP. Once it changes to a different server IP (remember it rotates around 50 different addresses) the registration will work again. The only effective attack is to block all 50 addresses, at which point you simply update the registration app with a different 50 IP addresses.

This would stop the attack from affecting anyone at home (ISP already known), and anyone already online (registration server is not the game server). The only people that could still be affected would be people with a new IP address which need to get it registered. In order to take down the registration servers would need 50 to 100* the size of the network of bots to achieve the same effect, and load on the registration server would have no impact on the actual game server/connections anyway.

I've been subbed since the early release and that likely won't change. I haven't really been playing lately anyway, just gathering EP, so these attacks don't bother me. lol

Take the long way around back to square one
Today we're just outlaws out on the run

+1
Bought another 3month time code, was starting to run a little low on time for one of my accounts smile

DDOS, how lame! fuuu
My computer burnt up in end of november, but I still keep my acc sub'ed, one day Ill be back with a ton of EP big_smile
Anyways, good luck DEV's! smile

37 (edited by MrCeeJ 2012-01-27 11:11:58)

I am tempted to bring the news of the attacks to as many gamer news sites as possible, that way the attacks will fuel publicity for the game and get even more people playing smile

Eventually there will be so many people playing that the bandwidth of the attacks will be swamped by the sheer numbers of people running round blowing up mechs smile

EDIT: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/107 … st15237705

Thinly disguised enough?

MrCeeJ wrote:

Just c+p an idea I was kicking round on the TOG forums:

My 2c: A registration app. It runs and connects to one of 50 different IP addresses (using a shared algo to choose which one), it then authenticates with this mini server and adds your IP address to an upstream IP filter hosted by the ISP. This then allows you to login and not have your IP address blocked by the ISP.

In order to attack the game or login server the botnet would need to have all it's IPs registered and so reveal all the compromised computers, or all its traffic would be blocked by the ISP whitelist filter. It also prevents the randomised IP address commonly used in these types of attacks. If the attacker instead targets the mini authentication server, then the attack will only prevent people with a new IP address from registering, and only for the brief period of time that the login app is using that IP. Once it changes to a different server IP (remember it rotates around 50 different addresses) the registration will work again. The only effective attack is to block all 50 addresses, at which point you simply update the registration app with a different 50 IP addresses.

This would stop the attack from affecting anyone at home (ISP already known), and anyone already online (registration server is not the game server). The only people that could still be affected would be people with a new IP address which need to get it registered. In order to take down the registration servers would need 50 to 100* the size of the network of bots to achieve the same effect, and load on the registration server would have no impact on the actual game server/connections anyway.

McCeej is building a Death Star in his shed...

Sociorum, inimicos, omnes

-:does speak for NSA on the forums:-

I don't have the cash for a year, but I signed up for 3 months recently again. And i'm now re-activating a second account for another 3 months. F*** this DDOS on a company that hasn't done crap.