Re: Recycling patch 2012-01-11

i always enjoy the wine from ppl that cant get enough.

this is ablsoutley no problem. you can strip only 1% from anni´s recycling skill and the result will be the same.
yes things have been reballanced. but just a little bit. a little less for alpha a bit more for beta.
and if you ask me. its still was too good for alpha or way to bad for beta. the diffrence is still not good enough! and thats a fact.

so keep whining. no problem with the patch.
but you get a +1 for the ep refunding from me. that would be fair. so stop crying...

27 (edited by Mark Zima 2012-01-12 15:37:15)

The theoretical best you can get in the factory compared to nominal component list is ~56%, since CTs are already capped at 100%. And in case someone forgot, Factory L4 gives no ME bonus, so most of the material efficiency comes from extensions (~250k EP, not counting # of lines and time bonus skills) and remaining bits from reputation (which is a *** to grind). While recycling is only 40k EP.

I don't know why some people suddenly want to nerf factory production, no reason for that whatsoever.

UPD: so capping recycling at 50% as Alexander proposed is a probably good idea, except the road to this cap should be smooth with L10 skill + L4 refinery peaking at 50%.

Alexander wrote:

As with all changes if the rich don't get richer they complain.
If the poor get relatively poorer than the rich, they complain.

It's interesting to see who's complaining and who is offer solutions. tongue

Devs already gave a solution..... Recycle on Beta..........

soooooo.. What is needed to be an uber production toon and maximize recycling:

Massive production skills-- approx 250k ep
Be maxed in Recycle. approx 40k ep
Have an outpost with high enough stability to have lvl 4 recycling
Be able to defend your outpost to keep stability.
Grind high relations.....

Seems like a ton of effort needs to go into maximizing recycling for production purposes. If you do all of the things above and a few others I am sure I left out, you should get a better reward then someone who doesn't have to risk/put effort into it.

Anni-- You are attacking the fact that people can recycle for more then they can build an item for. This takes a maxed production toon to do it. What really troubles me about your stance on the issue is this:

I have not seen a forum thread where you denounce the refining skill. With very little investment of EP and the use of a level 2 refinery you get over 100% yield.

Be careful what you ask for. It just may get you something you didn't want.

Inappropriate signature.

Good point, we best get everything balanced out so that all yields equal out the same. Better nerf that refining.

Alexander wrote:

Good point, we best get everything balanced out so that all yields equal out the same. Better nerf that refining.

I have a better Idea, let's nerf ERP.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Alexander wrote:

It's not about nerfing. It is about pointing out the possible side effects to the complaining and hissy fits (from multiple people)being acted on. Actions often have unintended consequences. People often turn a blind eye away from areas that they reap massive rewards from.

Here is the reality of this MINOR change as stated by Atticus:

"If losing 8 or 9% of your recycling ability is a game breaker for a producer/manufacturer, you're either in the wrong profession or wrong game."

Inappropriate signature.

Scyylla wrote:
Alexander wrote:

It's not about nerfing. It is about pointing out the possible side effects to the complaining and hissy fits (from multiple people)being acted on. Actions often have unintended consequences. People often turn a blind eye away from areas that they reap massive rewards from.

"If 8 or 9% of your recycling ability is a game breaker for a producer/manufacturer, you're either in the losing wrong profession or wrong game."

If you need a lvl 4 outpost and constant buffs, to be able to survive on beta. You're on the wrong islands.

HTFU   hello kitty online , that way >>>>>

33 (edited by Ville 2012-01-12 16:15:06)

elric wrote:
Scyylla wrote:
Alexander wrote:

"If 8 or 9% of your recycling ability is a game breaker for a producer/manufacturer, you're either in the losing wrong profession or wrong game."

If you need a lvl 4 outpost and constant buffs, to be able to survive on beta. You're on the wrong islands.

HTFU   hello kitty online , that way >>>>>

elric, I am not on-line so I can't see your past Corp history, but have you ever lived on Beta full time for...least say longer then a month?

I did some perp-kill back tracking would you be Elric Melnibone?  From Battleaxe?

Played long enough in the other game to know logistics is a Pain in the ***.
Also know that some players, will consider whining on forums to get things brought into game that benefits their alliance/corp, as part of the game.
But if buffing your game means nerfing everyone else.
Time for you to try another game, one with cheat codes to make it easy for you

elric wrote:

Played long enough in the other game to know logistics is a Pain in the ***.
Also know that some players, will consider whining on forums to get things brought into game that benefits their alliance/corp, as part of the game.
But if buffing your game means nerfing everyone else.
Time for you to try another game, one with cheat codes to make it easy for you

IDDQD works here too..

First, thanks to all, last night on coms and on these forums who explained the math for recycling to me. It would be a game breaking exploit if it wasn't nerfed (being able to produce minerals from nothing).

Bear in mind no matter what I say, Recycling should be considered a minor supplement to manufacturing, not the backbone.

That said, I am not convinced it was the correct nerf but I would like some figures if possible before I decide.

Can someone provide the actual figures for a best case producer on Alpha and on Beta? Pre and Post nerf.
For Alpha I guess that would be roughly a 4 Relationship Standing, Level 2 Recycling and Refining Facilities, and Level 10 Recycling, 10 Refining  and 30 points in Manufacturing of course.

For Beta, 6 Relationship Standing, Level 4 Recycling and Refining Facilities, Level 10 Recycling, 10 Refining and 30 points in Manufacturing.

I guess I would lean towards the Alpha producers on this one actually (I am a average skilled Beta producer) and I don't think its fair they are nerfed because of what we can do on Beta. Maybe, as suggested, a sliding scale of efficeincy on the facilities, I don't know.

But again, ultimately IMO Recycling is a minor skill compared to Factory, Refining and Mining. A nerf here is not  game breaking.

The farther into the game you get the less of a problem this is, but not everyone aspires to live on beta.
For the new player, plasma and recycling make up a large proportion of your income.
Your starving the beginning of the game, to fatten up beta.

upgrading beta, will not get more people into beta.
Getting more people to play perpetuum will.

38 (edited by Gharl Incognito 2012-01-12 18:58:03)

removed

Sociorum, inimicos, omnes

-:does speak for NSA on the forums:-

39 (edited by Annihilator 2012-01-12 18:47:02)

well, scylla - my requeset is a balancing that doesnt have to care about what the oldest GUY ingame can do, and that everything else has to be adjusted so THAT guy cannot create a perpetuum mobile.

your right - refining is like alchemy atm, having numbers there higher then 100% is a kind of... issue when you want to balance something
- this has to be considered for eg. production, which is also like alchemy, creating something from less materials then it contains afterwards.
- this has to be considered for insurance payout, since its based on raw ores AND best production/refining extensions on beset facilities.
- when recycling such a magical item, it also has to be considered that it COULD have been built by someone with those extensions, since the game cannot tell you "this armor plate contains only 600 Titanium, not the listed 1000, because someone with magic powers has crafted it"

-> first thing you hear from someone looking at recycling screen is "man this sucks, i get only 10% of the mats back"

For someone changing any single factor in this system, its almost impossible to see how it affects the gameplay at all. It needs a revamp from ground up, and thats unavoidable if this game shall have a future.

see ERP -> because it was perhaps a bit overpowered on a certiain mech with a bunch of certain modules, it got nerfed down to... any1 using t1 erp out there? Instead of fixing the root-issue of exponential stacking tunings, the whole thing got nerfed, while in other places the same issue still exists (shields?)

edit:

two days ago i suggested someone new to the game that he could start his mixed combat/industry life using recycling, so he can concentrate on combat and production, and having a connection between both. This nerf here simply eliminated that.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Starving alpha to fatten beta elric?

Farming is already the most lucrative activity you can do with 1 account besides playing the market at pretty much any ammount of EP, what more do you want?

As for alpha/beta its as simple as risk/reward. Hey I have an idea, maybe try mining to get the material differences.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Recycling should be just extra income, not the main source of materials. However, lowered recycle just means that you simply need to farm a little more, thats it.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Lupus Aurelius wrote:

^^^ if that is indeed the case, and the issue comes from having the outpost recycling service to 4, then yes, the appropriate response is to reduce the outpost upgrade bonus, and not the recycling skill itself.  Diminshing returns - lvl 2 outpost should still deliver at the old rates, but lvl3 from lvl 2 increase gives a lower percentage return than lvl 1 to lvl 2, and even lower going from lvl 3 to lvl 4. This should be able to be done easily by the devs, and not a general nerf to everyone everywhere.

+1 - nerf the recycle increase ranges as the beta terminals go from 2 - 3 - 4 and leave EP skilling back to the number that had us all choose to increase it.

How big of an issue was this?

If it takes 24 hours to run 11 T2 units, and recycling results in enough materials to make 11.5 units, agreed that materials are created out of thin air, but it would take 22 days or 1 player running 22 lines for 1 day to create enough material for a full run.

What's the end result here?

That a producer can create 11 units T2 units per day free, but they will need a second account building 23 lines of T1... extrapolated, that's roughly (4) maxed out accounts running everyday to create 11 'free' T4; that still require the creation and continual replacement of the T2,3,4P's...

For robots, a run of (11) mechs takes about 6 days.

Assuming about the same .5 return, that's 23 lines of bots running each week, to get 11 'free' bots. In the case of bots, your tying up a huge amount of material creating 23*11 bots per week per producer.

Lastling, the assumption of recovering the ".5" is probably even exaggerated.

That means, if you use 20k titanium per bot, that's 220k per run of 11 with a return of 10k which is something like 104.5% recycling effciency.

The insurance exploit was worth it because in volume they could get millions of NIC per bot back.
The duplication exploite was worth it because the 'time' factor was 0.

It would take months for an entire corp to set up this, creating CT's, gathering the initial raw resources to run these lines, so finally start producing what amounts to a 'few' free bots per WEEK!

Also, the whole system falls apart if you lose lvl 4 refining OR lvl 4 recycling.

Unless the % material 'gained' was well over 4.5% it simply an exploit that isn't worth the effort to exploit. The key here being that you had to be on beta with access to large amounts of Epi ANYWAY.

Tl-DR; Recycling nerf was probably over-kill and negatively effected many more players than it did to protect the integrity of the game. A better solution was noted, which was to reduce the % of the outposts instead of the individual skills.

Sundial wrote:

Starving alpha to fatten beta elric?

Farming is already the most lucrative activity you can do with 1 account besides playing the market at pretty much any ammount of EP, what more do you want?

As for alpha/beta its as simple as risk/reward. Hey I have an idea, maybe try mining to get the material differences.

+1

Sundial-- Not only do they want the cake but they want to eat it too....

Inappropriate signature.

Sundial wrote:

Farming is already ridiculously lucrative as it is...

Just ask Ville, most of his MORTE corp miners turned into farmers.

This is a step in the right direction.

Scyylla wrote:

I knew it wouldn't take long for someone to start complaining!!!!!!!

Seriously:

People have been asking for more of a difference between beta and alpha.
People have been asking for more of an incentive to live on beta.
People have been asking for more reasons to own an outpost.

Devs delivered another step in the direction that the player base has asked for.

Another +1, but I still think recycling is unbalanced and I don't think this is the right way to go about fixing it.

I missed this on my first read through.  Sundial we had to put up commodities buy orders.  Between presents and everything else goinG on I almost doubled market values to get minerals rolling in again.