Re: Docking Permissions

Syndic wrote:

It really is time for Perpetuum to grow up beyond a ganking mech game.

Or as I called it, an Arena game.

I agree with you completely, but were as your looking at it from the Beta view, I'm seeing it from the alpha side.

There's no reason to go through all the extra politics, industry, and alarm clock PVP to own an outpost when they can simply show up on beta and shoot at stuff. The shift to beta can occur if the players choose to do it, using the tools you've indicated, but only on the meta-game level. The game itself isn't pushing anyone into that position, or providing any support to maintain that position.

What i'm considering is, just like giving the market a little boost at launch with buy/sell orders which were later removed, maybe there's a game mechanic that can be put in place for a few months to jump start the beta corps. Then the meta-gaming can kick in and shape the landscape.

And what is to stop people from just corp hopping en mass every 24 hours to circumvent this, driving up the cost each time, since the outpost owner needs to add a new corp every time. Once the outpost owner removes an old corp, people can rejoin that one and voila docking rights again.

It's horribly exploitable, so a big no to that.

This is my blob. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

yes

Arga wrote:

Or as I called it, an Arena game.

I agree with you completely, but were as your looking at it from the Beta view, I'm seeing it from the alpha side.

There's no reason to go through all the extra politics, industry, and alarm clock PVP to own an outpost when they can simply show up on beta and shoot at stuff. The shift to beta can occur if the players choose to do it, using the tools you've indicated, but only on the meta-game level. The game itself isn't pushing anyone into that position, or providing any support to maintain that position.

What i'm considering is, just like giving the market a little boost at launch with buy/sell orders which were later removed, maybe there's a game mechanic that can be put in place for a few months to jump start the beta corps. Then the meta-gaming can kick in and shape the landscape.

I have to disagree again, look what you're making me do. smile

I think the main difference between our POV's is that I'm looking from a long-term down-the-road perspective, where you seem to be considering every feature on its own merit. Both POV's are right in their own way, but let me explain mine a bit better.

There is a very good reason to own an outpost and go through the extra trouble of interacting with people and corporations, honoring agreements, etc. You have the best economical and industrial advantage in the game from it. The problem so far has been that the difference between economical and industrial advantages between Beta islands, and New Alpha islands has been very very negligible.

Suddenly it made complete sense to swap all T1->T3 production on New Alpha, and relegate Beta operations to super-guarded Epriton Days where you see anywhere between 20 and 40 rivelers chewing up entire sectors fields with maxxed out NEXUS accounts to speed them up, supported by countless mechs, ewar mechs and heavy mechs obliterating everything that even jumps on the island.

On top of that, you could procure Espitium and Alligor by recycling modules that you could farm infinitely and in perfect safety on Alpha. At the same time, you could be mining all other resources in again - perfect safety on New Alpha on semi-AFK.

But all of this is slowly changing. First we get control of our outposts - by the time this settles in the corps that have the know-how will be established powerblocks in their own right, or they'll never grow out of the T1-phase.

Next we will receive those NEXUS auras, station improvements, etc - THESE will provide a reason to make the effort and own land on Beta.

Down the line, we will receive POS structures - again, THESE will provide yet another reason to make the effort and establish your corporation on Beta. Suddenly you realize that L5 or L10 or LX factory-structure you have is so efficient you can outproduce any Alpha corporation. Industrial aspect picks up, demanding more and more ore. You don't have time anymore to mine on Alpha and haul around, it needs to be done on site. PVP prospers, as the military and political aspects get more important.

With POS structures and terraforming, suddenly NIC will have a purpose. The reasons to do inter-corporation trade will increase beyond accumulating useless liquid wealth, and again the economical and industrial aspects of the game will increase in value exponentially. Political aspect will follow closely in lock-step, as suddenly you don't want "friendly roaming PVP" coming over and blowing up your customers that bring you in money to fuel your machine.

With such huge deposits in outposts taking or losing one will be no small task. Logistics will become even more important as corporations play smart and dont keep all of their eggs in the same basket. Again the potential for courier player-made missions would blossom here, as critical mass is reached where one corp can't handle all of its logistics by itself. It will become a symbiotic relationship where the haulers buy from the producers who feed off the haulers who feed off the producers who feed the PVPers.

All of this will make the military aspect relevant because without muscle, you better be a damn good diplomat or you will be nothing.

This is just one small piece of the puzzle, one small fragment of a larger picture of a future Perpetuum. I hope that some day we will be able to look back at this time and say "yup, thats when it started getting good".

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

I fear people are taking this thread for something that was fully thought out when I posted it.  Its certainly anything but that.  I read the dev blog and within 30 seconds of getting this idea I was writing the post.  I realize that it just may not work, but I'm just seeing if its feasible, because to me anything that takes the game beyond the obvious choice is worth looking at.

With whats proposed in the dev blog, I dont see a reason why you wouldnt block access to everyone thats yellow, or even non-blue to you.  I dont think theres any outpost that benefits enough from a corp thats not blue to think of not blocking them for the obvious tactical and security benefits.

So, do you hate the idea I proposed, or do you hate the idea of having to think about this decision?

To Annihilator:  People dont pay rent from outsiders using their outpost.  They pay it with plasma/epriton.  Dont try to posture that theres enough economy to rely on something like that.  If anything is going through your outpost, its from allies, so it might as well be your own corp doing it as its all in your own interest.

3. if you want argument about the Syndicates intentions: then ask yourself why your corp still has alpha island access with syndicate protection, even after the Syndicate had to take drastical measures against your corp that was harming the expansion of Human forces on NIA for more then a year now.

The devs did that.

To Syndic:  I dont understand why you think the Syndicate is just going to pat you on the head and say "good boy" because your corp took an intrusion and just leave you to do whatever you want with it.  Is the intrusion your corp's Bar Mitzvah and the Syndicate is your parent giving you a new car?

->You just lost The Game<-

are you disagreeing that I agree with you? big_smile

I am indeed looking short term, and I'm not being fully altruistic here.

A few 'wild' islands are OK, but I can't establish trade with those islands, and while a few lemon-aided mining outings would be fun (and likely destructive for me after my usefulness as bait was done), having multiple customers is more desirable.

Even if these Islands aren't trading with me, they will increase the flow of goods, and only when something moves is there profit to be made; not to mention it makes the market stronger.

Of course, this also all hinges on having some reason to trade, as well as something to trade for and someone to trade with.

So, other then long versus short views, I think your wrong, we don't disagree with how the game should be, but maybe we do on how to get there.

I don't "hate" the idea, I just think it's far too exploitable in current in form. Also I don't trust you to not have some clever loophole already figured out besides the obvious one I already posted big_smile

33 (edited by Neoxx 2011-07-16 03:25:31)

Then you look at the ways that its exploitable and find ways around it.  If every time some exploit was found and the devs just said "well, I guess we scrap that whole feature!" we wouldnt have a game right now.  Dont write something off just because you think of an exploit for something.  Thats just being lazy big_smile

I think thats one reason I like brainstorming new features is BECAUSE my mind looks for such loopholes all the time.  I dont necessarily intend to use them, but thats just how I think.

I see it in a similar way to war decs in eve.  The longer you want to dec the more expensive it costs.  Why didnt people in eve just jump corps to circumvent either the cost or the consequence of being dec'd and force their enemy to make more of them?  Maybe they did?  What was the consequence?

I really cant see having a whole corp jump to a dummy corp just to be able to dock in an outpost.  The logistics of it are just f*cking stupid unless you dont ever bother with corp storage AT ALL.

->You just lost The Game<-

Neoxx wrote:

Then you look at the ways that its exploitable and find ways around it.  If every time some exploit was found and the devs just said "well, I guess we scrap that whole feature!" we wouldnt have a game right now.  Dont write something off just because you think of an exploit for something.  Thats just being lazy big_smile

I think thats one reason I like brainstorming new features is BECAUSE my mind looks for such loopholes all the time.  I dont necessarily intend to use them, but thats just how I think.

I see it in a similar way to war decs in eve.  The longer you want to dec the more expensive it costs.  Why didnt people in eve just jump corps to circumvent either the cost or the consequence of being dec'd and force their enemy to make more of them?  Maybe they did?  What was the consequence?

I really cant see having a whole corp jump to a dummy corp just to be able to dock in an outpost.  The logistics of it are just f*cking stupid unless you dont ever bother with corp storage AT ALL.

Alright fair points. But I don't agree that my exploit scenario wouldn't happen. If a corp has all their *** tied in a station they will go to any length to try and get it back. Yes it won't be an everyday occurence, I'm not arguing that at all.

Right so - One the positive side I see that this will be a nic sink, it will make corps think more of who not to trust, and it will make for some entertaining lulz when the bill doesn't get paid.

On the negative it's gonna be a huge administrative *** once we get a critical mass of corps in the game and in current implementation it's obviously exploitable.

And let's leave the RP out of it that should be the least deciding factor wether or not a game mechanic makes sense or not.

35 (edited by Gremrod 2011-07-16 07:13:51)

So will all beta assignments be gone now?

If not how do you finish one or pick one up from an outpost that you can't dock in?

Or is there some type of mailbox outside of the beta outposts now?

I think I read something in the dev blog about some new building for assignments. Too tired after typing this.... big_smile

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

*edit: Keep politics out of this forum section. - DEV Calvin

We still need syndicate owned outposts on the islands, I don't think the map is large enough yet for this step, none of the low sec outposts in eve have entry controls in order to encourage people out there, gamma islands, pos's are where entry should be player controlled.  The beta islands are only low sec not 0.0

I would like to see outposts have some meaning

Rather than docking rights, I would like to see the facility cost altered according to relations, plus a weekly rent required for being able to access corporate hangars, and perhaps a fee for docking rights too. Some ideas...

Facility fees

If a corporation owns an outpost they can opt to provide discounts or an additional premium to use the facilities. Each discount is optional and selected by the owning corp individually. The Syndicate would get the usual 50% of the normal price, and the discount/premium is taken from/added to the owning corp's share.

Green corps - Up to 50% discount on total facility fees
Blue corps - Up to 25% discount on total facility fees
Neutral corps - no discount or premium can be set
Yellow corps - Up to 25% premium on total facility fees
Red corps - Up to 50% premium on total facility fees

Corp storage rent

This is not the fee for creating corp storage, but an ongoing maintenance fee.

This is an option that could be set by the owning corp, but with the option to reduce the rent to 0%, 25%, 50% or 100% for each colour of standing. Thus they could choose just to give free storage to green and blue corps, or free storage to all corps regardless of colour, or just set a fee for yellow and red corps.

Rates (example amounts only):
Level 1 - 500k NIC per week
Level 2 - 1m NIC per week
Level 3 - 5m NIC per week
Level 4 - 10m NIC per week

The owning corp would receive 100% of the revenue from corp storage rent.

If a corp already owns hangars in an outpost controlled by an enemy, they can choose to pay the fee, and thus have access to those hangars for 1 week after the fee is paid. If they don't pay, they can't access the hangars.

Docking rights

A corp can choose to set docking rights exactly the same way as it would for corp hangar access.

Rates (example numbers only):
<10 agents in corp - 500k NIC per week
10-50 agents in corp - 1m NIC per week
50-100 agents in corp - 5m NIC per week
100+ agents in corp - 10m NIC per week

The fee is the same regardless of how many agents actually dock up or use the outpost. Again, a corp would choose to set this as an option for their outpost, and then have the option to choose a 100%, 50%, 25% or 0% discount for each colour of standing.

The owning corp would receive 100% of the revenue from docking rights.

The amounts are just examples, I don't know what would really work, but this gives a way to penalise corps who lose intrusions, and an element of risk to losing them beyond e-peen, but at the same time doesnt cripple the game for new corps trying to move from alpha to beta.

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

Neoxx wrote:

CCP would ban you if you all left, so people left a holder alt in the corp while the rest dived back into a newbie corp that couldn't dec.

If they were ***.

Real men formed their carebears into rifters and brought flaming death!

Also you could make wardecs mutual which meant they were free.

0.0 Alliances used standings and ignored the wardec feature because it was a pita and required votes and ***.

39 (edited by Juan Valdez 2011-07-17 17:05:59)

Syndic wrote:

So yes, Alpha-pirate corps will be screwed over. Corps like NeX, FOOM and others will move out to Beta, grow up past the T1-lightbot-lulz-lolpirate stage. Its the natural course of things as the game matures, either there is a point in owning an outpost or there isn't. Either there is a reason to be friendly to other corporations and establish political and diplomatic networks, or there isn't.

We are the lulzpirates. We pirate your lulz, burn them onto CDs and then sell them for profit. Fear our anarchic ways.

Owning a Beta outpost isn't something that should be done for the lulz.

Yes it should. Isn't that why you guys do it? Or is it all SRS INTERNET ROBOTS over there?

does that blogpost say that the docking rights management is around the clock, or just for the timeframe of the intrusions?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Again, too many questions about this subject and not enough answers.

The reason why the 'new' beta islands dont have assignments was because we were told at the time "we may implement docking rights in the future on these bases"

So outpost-less corps may suddenly be making a grab for power before it becomes too hard only for devs to say "well.. we only meant the new beta islands duh"

Hello! Bump for people who can't use the search function.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

whaaa, ultra necro.
don't look at that old blog - things announced there got implemented like a few weeks ago  (point click on map to set waypoint)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I would like people to read this thread, for when A lot of corps lived on Beta.

Saha wrote:

Since you've played quite a few MMOs with consiquence I'm sure you know what happens when something of extreeme value which can be taken away is added to the game. It encorages blobing to defend that value. Nature of human beeings I guess. I've seen it many times as I'm sure you've seen it as well. Do you think the game should go in that direction?
And no, my concerns here has nothing to do with current political map of PO. It's irrelevant. What is of importance is where the game will be heading to. M2S moved to Hokk not because of lvl 3 refinery anyways if you want to keep the political talk. It's just a side effect.
There's a lot of ways to ensure that intrusions are where people show up to defend and/or attack. Possible upgrades on existing stations being destroyed is just one example. Limiting access rights is just one step too far which in quite a lot of aspects will backfire at the devs in the long run.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

the mechanics of the stations have changed.  Every 8 to 16 hours a sap occurs.  There are no "renters" or casual corps hanging out on Beta for the reason of the intrusion change.  IF we had Intrusion system 1.0 the docking permissions could go, but I distinctly remember the tediously mind numbing station games that used to be deployed on Novastrov at Danachov.  I remember how awesome it was to ALWAYS be scouted before a fight.  I get it, denying people content is not the best idea.  I admit I see that.  I don't like that.  But you make your home there in the Beta station.  And whats a home without Locks?  What happens to island logistics if you can get spotted bringing in a scarab then a mass suicide assault fleet bum rushes the logistics group?  Even with the best combats and ewar support 4 to 5 well undocked assaults will kill the scarab.  You know this, but yet you push for it.  Imagine if Peanut could dock at EVERY station in the game?  Especially his enemys outpost?  Think there wouldn't be suicidal kains griefing people round the clock?  /nod.

just steal darkfalls siege system...straight up.

that's a dead sandbox game as well...but when a siege is dropped everyone knows and one thing leads to another and its an epic battle involving 3rd parties that you don't know whos side they are on and its crazy fun.

Current system is the one active STC guy tries to ninja a sap but then runs when he sees someone else.  anything but fun.

Stranger Danger / Capital Punishment / Cyberdown
Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

48 (edited by Burial 2014-09-07 12:15:05)

Ville wrote:

the mechanics of the stations have changed.  Every 8 to 16 hours a sap occurs.  There are no "renters" or casual corps hanging out on Beta for the reason of the intrusion change.  IF we had Intrusion system 1.0 the docking permissions could go, but I distinctly remember the tediously mind numbing station games that used to be deployed on Novastrov at Danachov.  I remember how awesome it was to ALWAYS be scouted before a fight.  I get it, denying people content is not the best idea.  I admit I see that.  I don't like that.  But you make your home there in the Beta station.  And whats a home without Locks?  What happens to island logistics if you can get spotted bringing in a scarab then a mass suicide assault fleet bum rushes the logistics group?  Even with the best combats and ewar support 4 to 5 well undocked assaults will kill the scarab.  You know this, but yet you push for it.  Imagine if Peanut could dock at EVERY station in the game?  Especially his enemys outpost?  Think there wouldn't be suicidal kains griefing people round the clock?  /nod.

In a perfect world, there wouldn't be Spark Teleportation and there'd be a small 10-20 second window everyone can be shot at after undocking.

Saha wrote:

Since you've played quite a few MMOs with consiquence I'm sure you know what happens when something of extreeme value which can be taken away is added to the game. It encorages blobing to defend that value. Nature of human beeings I guess. I've seen it many times as I'm sure you've seen it as well. Do you think the game should go in that direction?
And no, my concerns here has nothing to do with current political map of PO. It's irrelevant. What is of importance is where the game will be heading to. M2S moved to Hokk not because of lvl 3 refinery anyways if you want to keep the political talk. It's just a side effect.
There's a lot of ways to ensure that intrusions are where people show up to defend and/or attack. Possible upgrades on existing stations being destroyed is just one example. Limiting access rights is just one step too far which in quite a lot of aspects will backfire at the devs in the long run.

++

49 (edited by Jita 2014-09-07 11:58:05)

Ville wrote:

I remember back when you were a decent human being and I had gone through I think four scarabs you gave me a Lithus mk2 to haul in and I still have that to this day despite quite a few attempts to kill it. If you can't use a scarab adapt.

Beta without gamma is endgame station content and I can see a reason for locks. With gamma it's mid game content and there is no reason for locks - you want that level of safety then assume that level of risk and get a gamma.

As a compromise why not allow beta 1 stations to be always unlocked and leave beta 2 lockable.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

It would just increase grieifing and Older players would survive and newer players would not.