Re: Collision Detection and Tracking please!

Your benefit on alpha is that youre safe anyway....

I remember discussing this topic with Gargaj (public IRC) and it took only a few minutes to find at last three possible solutions for the griefing problem. For alpha as well as beta. But there are some other parts missing (keyword Melee damage)

So the problem really is that devs need to do it (as in invest time). And their time is ofc limited. + nobody knows if they are interested in having this mechanic.

Tracking based on angular velocity would be an incredibly dumb mechanic in a game with WASD control and zero inertia.

actually, being safe is the problem with this change on alpha. You can't just blow them up for griefing you, and for as many ways as you can find to combat griefing, as many more ways will show up to do it.

With collision on alpha, it's a numbers game then, the corp with the most collision points can control an area and deny it to another corp. Collision would introduce blob warfare to alpha.

Stop whning and develop some ideas on howto prevent it. Saying "its ***" doesnt help.

How about; No collision. Yep, that should do it.

Warhammer Online used a collision system that effectively only switched on for combat, you would know enemies were near when your gang started bumping into each other. I guess for a game like Perpetuum you would put collision detection on at all times on beta (for players only, not NPCS) and PvP flagging would switch it on on Alpha, but it would only apply between PvP flagged players, nothing would change for non flagged players. As to the technical feasability of something like that, I have no idea.

I can see the greifing now.... some mech playing demolision durby with another one... and no penaly... or better yet... even with no collisons on the highway.... a corp could just put enough people to "cock-block" the highway to make it next to useless....