Re: Weapon stabilizer

can you put your personal issues into corporation dialogue please?

Snowstyle:
if its a static value like the evasive module - the intresting question would be, where it is placed.

let it be a -1.5° hit dispersion / -1.5m explosion size for the T4 module:

medium ballistic missile / (medium EM gun):
9m * 0.7 - 1.5m = 6.3m - 1.5m = 4.8m (4.8°) or
(9m - 1.5m ) - 1.5m = 7.5m * 0.7 = 5.25 m (5.25°)

medium compact missile / (medium laser)
8m * 0.7 -1.5m = 4.1 m (4.1°)
(8m - 1.5m) * 0.7 = 4.55 m (4.55°)

medium autocannon / gauss
10° * 0.7 - 1.5° = 5.5°
(10°-1.5°) * 0.7 = 5.59°

Now lets see how it could turn out with a -15% modifier (again several possible formulas)
10° * (1-0.3°) * (1-0.15°) = 5.95°
10° * (1-0.3°-0.15°) = 5.5°
10° * (1-0.3°)/(1+0.15°) = 6.09°

my conclusion - those weapon stabilizer modules will have a bigger impact if used by missile robots (as its a direct DPS increase against smaller bots) and assaults will suffer the most from it.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Math is good, I like math.

There are 2 things you've done here though, T4 and Precision 10, to show the maximum potential impact of a stabilizer.

The same thing could be said with any T4 module and level 10 extension, that whatever your modifing is going to be more powerful.

So really, the question isn't if T4/Lvl 10 is good, becasuse really for that investment it should be good, but is it overpowered for the cost, and how does the introduction of the module change the game play.

IMO this is a non-issue for medium weapons vs. light bots. It takes so few hits on a light bot, that the practical difference between a 40% and 55% chance (for instance) isn't game breaking. It's an 'acceptable' advantage for spending the EP and fitting the module.

Do assualt bots use evasive modules now? My impression is they don't, or even more accurately assaults themselves aren't used.

If the stabilizer doesn't give a outstanding advantage against light bots, and mechs rarely meet assualts, then there isn't any compelling reason to use the module. If something isn't a must-have, then it isn't overpowered.

Missle bots may equip this module because it is a straight boost to DPS. A t4 missile tuning gives 8% more damage and 8% cycle time to ALL targets, where the stabilizer woudl only give 15% more against assaults and light bots, no bonus against other mechs. Assuming the value  is 15%.

And that last bit is really the key. Are Mech pilots going to euip a module that ONLY gives them an advantage when fighting smaller bots, while slowing them down and costing a lot of NIC? Remember that mech/hmech isnt the deviding factor for using this module, its the dispersion ratio of the medium weapon and what you plan to use it against.

Arga the stabilizer is a leg slot. So the sacrifice is defence not weapon tunings or range extenders.

Edit: Troll removed - DEV Calvin

I wasn't thinking about replacing a T4 tuner with the stab, just showing that the DPS advantage of the stab isn't op since you can get a similar DPS boost with a T4 tuner. Being, as you say, a leg slot, these modules are typically heavy, so if they do end up being heavy, they won't be used for any speed fits.

I'm convinced that the stabilizer is a module that is going to see use for mechs using 'heavy' artilliary, which we don't know what the hit dispersion is going to be. We have small and med. weapons now, a large weapon could have a 20 hit dispersion. The mod could be being put into the game at this point so it will be available for when large weapons are introduced. Which would support it being massive. We'll know in a couple of days smile

I will definitely be putting one in my long range gropho fit, I already know what module I will be replacing as well. And depending on the weight(not all leg slots are heavy) I will probably be using one for a roaming setup on my tyranos.

Edit: Troll removed - DEV Calvin

Arga - i was using maxed precision firering and seismics to see what the worst outcome for target light bot. And for those with heavy mechs, its probably not very uncommon to have it maxed anyway.

theres also a medium weapon that will profit with such a module even against mechs:
medium machinegun
12° * 0.7 = 8.4° lowest possible dispersion atm.

Btw, i don't think artillery will work like existing weapons. After all it will be a long range ballistic AoE weapon.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

I'll agree, if the weight and dispersion modifer are out of balance, then this stab could be bad for light bots.

I'd like to note that the evasion module is a leg item too. So logically if someone spends a leg slot to increase thier dispersion, than its only fair that antoher player should spend a leg slot to reduce their surface area.

Following that logic, the stab then should decrease dispersion by .70 to 1.0 from T1 to T4 and weigh about 125-180 kg; to counter the evasive module.

There doesn't need to be an evasive extension becasue hit dispersion starts so high that Precision is needed to even have a fair chance to hit a small bot.

If players aren't fitting Evasive modules now, its because even if the attacking med weapon player has Precision 10, they still feel the survivablitly is good enough that they don't need it. If they are using it, then med weapon players need a way to counter it.

with this value, using the Med autocannon because the math is easier with a 10, and with Precision 10; the Hit dispersion is 7, light bots have a hit ssurface of 3,

3/7 = abuot 43% hit chance
with -1 from T4 stab
3/(7-1)= 50% hit chance

7% is not overpowered for a T4 device

For missles with a 9 becomes 6.3
3/6.3 = 48% damage
3/(6.3-1) = 57%

9% more damage, worst case

Again even 10% damage for adding a t4 item and max skill doesn't sounds op.

I guess what i'm getting at is, isn't it OK to add something in that makes people have to think about how to fit? Without the stab, there really isnt a compelling reason to fit the evasive mod. I just think adding things like this stirs up the cookie cutter buildouts.

Also adding in more 'good' things makes those new bots with extra slots look a little more worth it. Surely something new has to come into the game to encourage players to risk all that extra NIC to use the MK II?

the reason why evasive mods are not used are different:

1. they add mass
2. they only effective in lights and light ewars
2a - lights and ewars only have two legslots, lwf is a must in one of them
2b - second slot is either fitted with repair , resists, accu or nothing
3. evasive mods are expensive (hydrobenol, espitium)

only reason to fit an evasive for me atm would be to make my shield more effective

You bring up an excellent point. Light bots best defense is not to get shot at in the first place.

Boiled down, I disagree that adding the stabilizer module to the game is going to make light bots useless. If the stabilzer created a 100% chance to hit light bots with med weapons, or 100% damage from missles, to where mechs would always 1-shot light bots, then I would agree.

I don't think this module was introduced to make light bots obsolete and I don't think it will have that effect in practice.

Arga wrote:

You bring up an excellent point. Light bots best defense is not to get shot at in the first place.

Boiled down, I disagree that adding the stabilizer module to the game is going to make light bots useless. If the stabilzer created a 100% chance to hit light bots with med weapons, or 100% damage from missles, to where mechs would always 1-shot light bots, then I would agree.

I don't think this module was introduced to make light bots obsolete and I don't think it will have that effect in practice.

I think it depends on what it boils down to. Maybe it wont be worth it to put on a mech to hit a light like was brought up, but I think it will be -- espically if you know your enemy will be in lights. Besides, 1 of these in a small mech gang for anti-tackle?

I can also see that you don't have alot of experience fighting in light bots against mechs. Good percesion firing skills destroys light bots as it is now. Ask the dom crew. Their tacklers are getting destroyed trying to tackle. Ewar bots getting 1 shot by a kain if 3 of 4 guns hit. This is where tatics are invovled, and using terrain. If you catch a mech in the right spot, with the right stuff he's screwed.

Now enters this module... it has the possibility of making light bot warfare next to obsolete... when your enemy knows you're going to use them in a defense situation. On a roam, you fit one mech out with it to be anti tackle/light bots.  Maybe that's the intention. Make mechs the main choice for pvp. They're more expensive, but going to be easier to get. Maybe now kains or ew mechs will be the new tackle. Maybe the next move is to rename the game Mechs Online.

Thankfully you light bot guys get a free respec though right?

Smokeyii wrote:

... Thankfully you light bot guys get a free respec though right?

Lucky you,  you have 62nd as usual light support, no need for respec \o/ gz.

I hate stationhuggers and arkhebears.
M2S - Considerably more braincells than Trantor.

Spam

Your absolutely correct about me not having a lot of PVP exp, which is why I appreciate your response, and help me understand a few things.

I'm just looking at this from the point of how this will practically impact the light bots, so when you tell me that mechs already destroy lights when pilots have good precision skills it makes it seem like a redundant module; or that maybe the extra weight in will actually make them worse at killing the faster lights?

Just on the walk into work, the concept of just fitting 1 mech with the stab came to me... as I passed the pizza place, which was totally a coincidence that made me hungry too. Which lead me to thinking about scanners, and how you never hear about anyone using them, but that if they did scan and find that bot with the stab, the lights would make that primary.

The last part, is if you absolutely know that your enemy is going to use the stabilizer, then lights can fit the evasive module right? And I would ask, if they are getting destroyed by mechs now, why aren't they fitting the evasive modules? And if your in a defensive position, why would you swap out a defensive leg item for an offensive leg item?

It just doesn't look that cut and dry; that stabs will make lights obsolete.

cant wait to see ingame parameters

patchnotes say the penalty will be negative demob resists.

"Slightly", don't wet your underwear so quick.

Spam

Also note all the assualt bot love.

Arga wrote:

Also note all the assualt bot love.

All the reasons assault bots aren't used in PvP apart from it being the only thing you can pilot weren't addressed however. What was changed had no impact in its practical application in PvP.

Malakian wrote:

"Slightly", don't wet your underwear so quick.

i won't actually im not sure if that penalty has any effect at all. speed fit mechs already prone to demob due to their lwf

Styx. I personally think that the issue with assaults is that pilots skip to mechs. functionally this means that pilots choose to spend the min. EP into small weapons and light bots, so they have more for advanced extensions; making the assualts ineffective.

So, no.. the assault love isn't going to make players use them, but there was still some love.

Arga wrote:

Styx. I personally think that the issue with assaults is that pilots skip to mechs. functionally this means that pilots choose to spend the min. EP into small weapons and light bots, so they have more for advanced extensions; making the assualts ineffective.

So, no.. the assault love isn't going to make players use them, but there was still some love.

The problem with assaults is that they're slow as hell and do nothing better than a Mech. If they were 5-10KPH faster when fitted whilst not nerfing the mech speeds they'd be used all the time in roaming. This is coming from someone who frequently leads large roaming squads.

so, increase base weight on assaults so faster when fitted? or make them lighter for speed-fitting?

rofl, i was spot on with 15%

I'm not in game, is it a % or straight value?

Arga wrote:

I'm not in game, is it a % or straight value?

-15% @ T4

Unsure if its a unique module, probably not.

49 (edited by Malakian 2011-05-04 20:43:32)

10 to 15%, easy to fit but weight is 525, not unique module.

Spam

do i need to comment that?

now i have to find out which formula to use, but with the materials necessary to build them, it will take some time until i have one in cargo...