Re: PvE vs. PvP - the endless discussion

You are right, Greenleaf, it has gotten out of hand, and I apologize for my part in it.

Let's get back to the question, which was: are you satisfied with the game's current PvE situation? Are you someone who thinks that PvE players should be forced to PvP, or do you have other ideas?

All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful - Kohelet Rabbah 7:16

"My transaction log shows all my NIC was from selling kernals.  All of it."
"Savin's outrage tears are the best tears." - Anonymous ***

Sav your a tard, smarter? When owning yourself? Better in english - may be - its not my native language and i dont really care to polish it for you. Sry Sav im working in this business for nearly 20 years. Start over.

28 (edited by Dromsex 2011-01-23 06:37:48)

Greenleaf wrote:

How could you guys expect the devs to read this when you rail road it into a pit a flaming $h!t.

Amen guys,. well done,. I think its time for a group hug.=p

Im gonna be blunt, after 3 weeks the game is boring me to tears,. lets try an help them fix it.

Hey Green - hopefully the DEVs wont listen to anybody on the forums - thats the worst thing they could do - since customers will never be satisfied due to some people soaking up the current content while others still want new one. You will always please some and negate others - so they should concentrate their effort on their own vision.

If they have one - it may become edgy and stuff - but special in its own way. Thats the only way to go for something that will hopefully be able to last. Players think they know what they would like but in fact would find it boring if they actually get it. Thats not a theory but gaming history.

Why do you think OP characters/classes do exist in MMOs? Not because DEVs are too silly to adjust accordingly - it called rolling OP and is a design to keep people satisfied while others are not. Discussions about those unbalances and the hope to fix them keep games alive. Experienced DEVs use this mechanics on purpose to make their games last long. But this must come from the DEVs themselves and not the COM. If the DEVs dont use these tools and follow the COM - any game is doomed.

Its like with the donkey and the carrot. I am the donkey - pvp on alpha is my carrot.

Dromsex wrote:

Sav your a tard, smarter? When owning yourself? Better in english - may be - its not my native language and i dont really care to polish it for you. Sry Sav im working in this business for nearly 20 years. Start over.

Drom, buddy, keep telling me I'm owning myself, and maybe it will come true. Just like you tell yourself that you're more than a halfwit who took a computer class or two.

Only 20 years? I have you beat there, too. Double it, then we'll talk, little man.

All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful - Kohelet Rabbah 7:16

30 (edited by Savin 2011-01-23 07:24:49)

Dromsex wrote:

Its like with the donkey and the carrot. I am the donkey - pvp on alpha is my carrot.

No, you're just an ***.

Thank you, though, for finally abandoning the false authority, and admitting that this is what you've wanted all along. In other words, thanks for "owning yourself."

So anyway, Greenleaf, now that the angry German kid has admitted to wanting to grief people, let's return to the question:

What are your thoughts on PvE? Are you satisfied?

The game isn't that old the content is low I mean take a look at the download size tongue

However the current protected areas that allow players to mission run and mine or even just kernal grind should stay as they are, we constantly reference this title against EVE ... Maybe we do this because at the end of the day I don't know about you but I always wanted something like this in EVE, now I have it only its Perpetuum and its still a baby which means that things do suck "compared to other games" and "things are missing" compared to certain games and "we all want it yesterday" but give it time ...

At this stage in the titles progression to force those who wish to grind safely in the Alpha would be a bad move and thats why I doubt you will ever see it happen, what you will instead see is missions or temptations for PvE players that will lead them to new content or islands or land or whatever the DEV do that will mean that the player will have to make a choice and analyze the "risk" of engaging in PvP which in turn still isn't really forcing it to happen ... if anything I feel the "layers of security" will be fine tuned but you will always have "High Sec" ... smile

PvE and Me?

It's not that bad ... Beta island / alliance troubles / blah blah aside ... I actually have a dam great time PvE'ing with my corp chatting on TS and grinding those mods and kernals to help fund the free robots the corp gives me is great, we laugh we give each other a bit of crap here and there and we talk about what we are aiming for ...

Then again (and I am not having a go or assuming other corps ages etc etc etc) TOG corpies are all over 25, mature and have a great outlook on how to take a "boring" game and make it fun ...

Alpha X wrote:

It's not that bad ... Beta island / alliance troubles / blah blah aside ... I actually have a dam great time PvE'ing with my corp chatting on TS and grinding those mods and kernals to help fund the free robots the corp gives me is great, we laugh we give each other a bit of crap here and there and we talk about what we are aiming for ...

Then again (and I am not having a go or assuming other corps ages etc etc etc) TOG corpies are all over 25, mature and have a great outlook on how to take a "boring" game and make it fun ...

Yes, overall it's quite fun- I've found a group of people much like you describe; we don't take it seriously, we give each other a hard time, we make fun of the spastic kids, and so on. It's an enjoyable pastime.

PvP doesn't interest me that much, but I've tried it on an alt, and it's not bad, either- in my (limited) experience, it seems pretty fair.

As for PvE, which I do most of the time, I just think that there's another dimension waiting to be tapped- I'm not as interested in more bots to farm as I am in more possibilities. As an industrialist, I'd like an opportunity to enter real contracts, to have price wars; I think it would add to the game as a whole.

Savin wrote:

You are right, Greenleaf, it has gotten out of hand, and I apologize for my part in it.

Let's get back to the question, which was: are you satisfied with the game's current PvE situation? Are you someone who thinks that PvE players should be forced to PvP, or do you have other ideas?

Forced? Nothing should be "forced" there should be freedom to what ever actions I feel like taking,. if thats to suicide my ship to kill you for fast locking and get jailed to beta for a week then so be it,. I want that freedom to act on what ever actions I so please, I deal with the repercussions later,. so yea,. I think some of the PVE crowd should lick there wounds ,. pull there pants up and stop asking for a such a safe bowl of cookies to eat from.

I played it all man,. I would rather play a game where someone can take my milk money and then $hit on me,. I want to feel like its a struggle to survive,. I do understand though that the games needs a warm protective woom for new players to spawn out of. But there HAS to be potential risk of dieing by the hand of players ALL THE TIME..

Greenleaf wrote:

Forced? Nothing should be "forced" there should be freedom to what ever actions I feel like taking,. if thats to suicide my ship to kill you for fast locking and get jailed to beta for a week then so be it,. I want that freedom to act on what ever actions I so please, I deal with the repercussions later,. so yea,. I think some of the PVE crowd should lick there wounds ,. pull there pants up and stop asking for a such a safe bowl of cookies to eat from.

I played it all man,. I would rather play a game where someone can take my milk money and then $hit on me,. I want to feel like its a struggle to survive,. I do understand though that the games needs a warm protective woom for new players to spawn out of. But there HAS to be potential risk of dieing by the hand of players ALL THE TIME..

I'm sorry, but tough guy talk aside, you are contradicting yourself here. First you say that nothing should be "forced," but you end with "there HAS to be potential risk of dieing by the hand of players ALL THE TIME." It's not possible to have both.

The point is that some PvP players, and it sounds like you're one of them, feel that they should be able to attack anyone, anywhere. As many people have pointed out, this leads to greifing, and is generally not good for the game.

Moreover, your right to attack anyone at any time forces other players to PvP when they don't want to. If your answer to that is "fine, then they can go to another game," then you've given the devs the very answer they don't want. They are interested in how PvE could be improved, and your response is to tell them to turn it into PvP?

The part that frustrates me is,. why the hell did you pay to play a OPEN PVP game?

I'm not gonna renew my crafter,. I dont need him. so why would I need you around? you see thats the problem,. the game offers a free basket of cookies that offer me everything.

Once the prototype arms race is over and people just run there own lines,. your dead meat man,. this system is going to hang you out to dry if your only a crafter. why? .. Well I think its obvious, the risk free millions and loads of mats I get, Kernals to research,. and the easyness of running my own lines,... yea I think you get the point..

Will this all get fixed if I can gank a few noobs?,. obviously not,. but no pvp at all on Alpha is contributing to this big time,. Its a freeking monster of a problem,. and they need to take swift action or its the vary players there trying to keep that will be on there way out with many others.

37 (edited by Dromsex 2011-01-23 12:31:39)

Savin this isnt about griefing. Killing somone isnt griefing ffs. And all your making is asumptions. So, you cant come up with a system that prevents continued griefing in protected areas?

MO just did. The game fails at mostly everything else - but this system - raw as it is - works. Now - go on again and tell people that work and are researchable right now - uhm do not exist and do not work.

your both like little kids.
summary of the whole 38 pages:

grieving without any penalty for the grieving party - sucks
pve with the risk of facing PvP where you are not prepared without any reward - sucks

last page of this topic is just insults between savin and dromsex - sucks

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Alpha islands are fine, as long as the rewards there stay limited enough to motivate people onto PVP land. Suicide ganking is not a necessary mechanic (even if i do like it personally). Let the carebears (no insult intended, I love carebearing and only pvp to create market demand) have their safety, and let the pvpers fight, and die, over the really cream of the crop stuff. Good system in general right now IMO, little tweaks here and there (like removal of safe zones in beta), are fantastic, but the basis is all right with me.

Not at all Anni - nobody is talking about the risk of facing pvp when being not prepared. In working implementations the risk is greatly reduced and the attacker has to invest a lot while he won't be successfull if he doesnt do everything right and the victim does everything wrong. Then still odds are against him since he flags himself. Now if the PVE Com starts to have a go at each other after helping out a fella - thats a whole different part.

Being afk would be 1 thing to do wrong - manouvering into a deadend also would be one thing - but both only when lurking around in a sector where protection isnt dense enough for you to survive also is (depends on yourself, the attacker and the priority at which the guards would interrupt).

Given the guard system comes from above and the response time of defending guards depends on the vicinity of major routes, terminals and OPs AND was tied to faction standing - you could even reduce those few possibilities to 0 and the attacker wouldnt know - and itd be russian roulette for him still if he did everything right and caught a supposedly "weaker guy" offguard in a deserted alpha site.

Guard intervention at most protected areas would be a mezz and nearly insta pop for even the heaviest attackers, while an attack at a "perfect" situation: afk, weak unprepared miner caught in a lower sec area with no faction standings, arkhe for instance - would result in a dead arkhe and a pvp flagged guy getting shot at and mezzed while trying to reach a port to Beta - the only way to go for him.

Increasing number of guards and increasing waves would shatter even biggest raids. This system isnt meant to make griefing viable.

MO does something similar, though less complex - when being attacked you just type: guards and the attacker is popped instantly. The techn ical implementation in MO is pretty bad - but its effective. Once in a while somone got attacked when doing everything wrong - but the attackers got away only if the victim was afk - or the bug ridden game killed the implementation.

Now this method and chances of a surviving such an incident would neet to be recreated by an autonom system - as shown above.

And still lots of pvpers would try it though their chances are nearly null - why? Because they even have fun loosing their stuff while trying something with a success ratio of 1-2% to get away flagged to Beta where they get *** by others again.

Its just about trying.

Yes Crye - the present system is pretty good - but it could be better without sacrificing anything but gaining some laughs when some ganker is blown apart on alpha. Thats all.

PLEASE DON'T PVP ME, I AM NOT PREPARED FOR PVP!

MY BODY IS NOT REDYYYyyy!!!!

Ok, i will give you time to prepare.

Dromsex wrote:

Not at all Anni - nobody is talking about the risk of facing pvp when being not prepared. In working implementations the risk is greatly reduced and the attacker has to invest a lot while he won't be successfull if he doesnt do everything right and the victim does everything wrong. Then still odds are against him since he flags himself. Now if the PVE Com starts to have a go at each other after helping out a fella - thats a whole different part.

Being afk would be 1 thing to do wrong - manouvering into a deadend also would be one thing - but both only when lurking around in a sector where protection isnt dense enough for you to survive also is (depends on yourself, the attacker and the priority at which the guards would interrupt).

Given the guard system comes from above and the response time of defending guards depends on the vicinity of major routes, terminals and OPs AND was tied to faction standing - you could even reduce those few possibilities to 0 and the attacker wouldnt know - and itd be russian roulette for him still if he did everything right and caught a supposedly "weaker guy" offguard in a deserted alpha site.

Guard intervention at most protected areas would be a mezz and nearly insta pop for even the heaviest attackers, while an attack at a "perfect" situation: afk, weak unprepared miner caught in a lower sec area with no faction standings, arkhe for instance - would result in a dead arkhe and a pvp flagged guy getting shot at and mezzed while trying to reach a port to Beta - the only way to go for him.

Increasing number of guards and increasing waves would shatter even biggest raids. This system isnt meant to make griefing viable.

MO does something similar, though less complex - when being attacked you just type: guards and the attacker is popped instantly. The techn ical implementation in MO is pretty bad - but its effective. Once in a while somone got attacked when doing everything wrong - but the attackers got away only if the victim was afk - or the bug ridden game killed the implementation.

Now this method and chances of a surviving such an incident would neet to be recreated by an autonom system - as shown above.

And still lots of pvpers would try it though their chances are nearly null - why? Because they even have fun loosing their stuff while trying something with a success ratio of 1-2% to get away flagged to Beta where they get *** by others again.

Its just about trying.

Its just about trying what? To ruin other players game experience to get ones jollies?  It all comes down to some people(a small fraction of the players base) wanting to ruin the play experience of those who have no interest in ganking and griefing.  Rather than content themselves with fighting those who have made a choice to PvP(by being in the Betas to start with), they instead want to be able to gank those who are neither interested or prepared for PvP.

I can just imagine the horrible fustration on the part of some people, knowing that there are a lot of other players going about their business in Alpha, and they can't be touched.  Oh the horror! The injustice of it all!...<grin> Bottom line, PvP should be a choice. If people do not wish to take part, there should still be a place for them in the game. The Alpha situation is just fine as it currently exists. If the Dev's are wise, they will leave well enough alone.

If you can't kill it, don't make it mad.

Again false implications. Your good at that!

Dromsex wrote:

Again false implications. Your good at that!

Care to be specific?

47 (edited by Dromsex 2011-01-23 17:15:44)

You imply that those proposals would only work for griefers - while i know that a lot of pve'ers would like that extra bit insecurity as an idea. Not everybody sure - but there would be enough room in high density areas where every attacker would be vapourized within a second. So it wouldnt take away anything from those.

The system wouldnt let griefers succeed more then once in a while and let them die aswell to 99% - you'd prolly die more often to mob then to those evil eyed bastards.

The changes in fact wouldnt change a lot at current alpha business at all - while they would change the feeling big time.

There wouldnt be much a pure pve'er needs to prepare for - just not being afk. The griefer would be the mob trying to follow you, where the mob would stop due to its set parameters.

Will he succeed? If certain conditions are met in that degrading density guard system - yes. Would he get away with it - hardly. Would he try? Yes.

As a sidenote - it would break up the artificially created pvp areas for desperatly trying to flee pvpers on beta. Artificially locked up rooms - are things to be improved. Its an element from shooters - not an element of sandbox mmos. Some would flee to alpha in hope to get away - and there would be a slight chance - but mostly they wouldnt.

So the only thing taken away from your point of view would be - that pure pve'ers or traders or whatever - have a chance of being killed when bein in one of the least guarded zones, afk in a minor bot being attacked by multi million mech - that would be blown to pieces if he cannot make his way to a beta teleport - while being increasingly attacked by guards he cannot hide from. Mostly - Youd be able to loot him after his fail attempt.

What you gain is: no instanced pvp areas - improving the overall immersion and feel, the idea of trying to have a go at some alpha guy - and for the not so PVE only part of the community - a more interesting pve experience.

Did i meantion the guards insta popping people when attacking players with a certain amount of standing? Would the attacker know? Even this fact would decrease the already small chance of someone firing more then  volley at someone by 75% - and make it a roulette for the griefer - if he'll be insta popped or popped sme minuted later - if he did everything right.

I'm personally a carebear in game and like the idea of increasing the PVP elements of Alpha islands.  I like the idea of having to be more alert, careful and intelligent in the way I mine, harvest, transport, whatever.  I think it adds a little more depth and makes the game more interesting.  And really, the more crap that gets blown up, the more opportunity for intelligent players to sell more stuff and become more profitable than those that just enjoy the perpetual grind.

I think a lot of people are basing their positions on the broken nature of PVP vs. PVE in Eve.  If non-consensual corporate wardecs from greifer corps were removed in Eve it would completely change the dynamic of PVE in the game without removing all of the High-Sec PVP elements. 

I just feel that without any risk in entering the game world then it becomes a NIC collecting grindfest.

With that being said I can see a lot of people hate this style of game play.  That's fine.  How about increasing the reward for doing some PVE in the Beta areas.  At least make it to where you don't get insta-ganked the second you enter the area.  PVE players should have the ability to survive and thrive in PVP areas if played intelligently.  The PVE'ers that are willing to take this risk should be rewarded accordingly though (unlike lowsec PVE in Eve).

Currently the PVP elements are almost completely removed from the PVE elements which seems to make them two separate games with the same chat channel.

The two sides should be interconnected.

Dromsex wrote:

You imply that those proposals would only work for griefers - while i know that a lot of pve'ers would like that extra bit insecurity as an idea. Not everybody sure - but there would be enough room in high density areas where every attacker would be vapourized within a second. So it wouldnt take away anything from those.

The system wouldnt let griefers succeed more then once in a while and let them die aswell to 99% - you'd prolly die more often to mob then to those evil eyed bastards.

The changes in fact wouldnt change a lot at current alpha business at all - while they would change the feeling big time.

There wouldnt be much a pure pve'er needs to prepare for - just not being afk. The griefer would be the mob trying to follow you, where the mob would stop due to its set parameters.

Will he succeed? If certain conditions are met in that degrading density guard system - yes. Would he get away with it - hardly. Would he try? Yes.

As a sidenote - it would break up the artificially created pvp areas for desperatly trying to flee pvpers on beta. Artificially locked up rooms - are things to be improved. Its an element from shooters - not an element of sandbox mmos. Some would flee to alpha in hope to get away - and there would be a slight chance - but mostly they wouldnt.

So the only thing taken away from your point of view would be - that pure pve'ers or traders or whatever - have a chance of being killed when bein in one of the least guarded zones, afk in a minor bot being attacked by multi million mech - that would be blown to pieces if he cannot make his way to a beta teleport - while being increasingly attacked by guards he cannot hide from. Mostly - Youd be able to loot him after his fail attempt.

What you gain is: no instanced pvp areas - improving the overall immersion and feel, the idea of trying to have a go at some alpha guy - and for the not so PVE only part of the community - a more interesting pve experience.

Did i meantion the guards insta popping people when attacking players with a certain amount of standing? Would the attacker know? Even this fact would decrease the already small chance of someone firing more then  volley at someone by 75% - and make it a roulette for the griefer - if he'll be insta popped or popped sme minuted later - if he did everything right.

No. I disagree that many PvE types are secretly yearning for the chance to be ganked. Or that such would enhance, rather that make people annoyed. As I've stated before, this is a solution in search of a problem.  I certainly have no problem with Alpha staying just as it is. I suspect that many of the miners and other such would rather have it stay this way as well. But the fact is that neither of us speaks for anyone but ourselves.

The only real benefit here is to those who want to gank miners, haulers and others who have no interest in nor are they prepared to PvP. The proposal is rather related to the goonies infamous hulk fest in EVE. I question the motivations of those who wish to impliment such a system here.

The guards system has never been more than a band aid on a gaping wound.
Not only that, but its an open ended invitation for the Dev's to use their valuable time in an endless arms race with the gankers and griefers.  Personally, I'd MUCH rather they use their limited time to create a better game, rather than using it to deal with endless ganker/griefer antics.  Bottom line, for the good of the game, Alpha should remain just as it is(PvP wise).

You still havent realized what i wrote there eh? Im not talking about ganking and there woudnt be an arms race. Read ffs ;D

For the good of the game - alpha should change accordingly.