1 (edited by Gut Punch 2011-07-05 21:19:48)

Topic: FOOM Scan1App - Artifact Scanning Tool

About

This is a tool put together to help in the artifact site scanning process.  Granted, the game does allow you to be fairly effective at scanning.  However, this tool will increase your speed and effectiveness.  It will visually display the potential location of sites on the map of the island you are on and calculate a potential location given enough scanning.

Engr [FOOM] and Gut Punch [FOOM] put together a tool to dramatically speed up the acquisition of the sites. The initial idea was Gut Punch's and Alatari [FOOM].  Alatari solved the problem mathematically.  Gut solved the problem with a visual interface.  Engr took over the design process and put the two together. Alatari provided backgrounds for islands and scanning error data which allowed several of the critial calculations about scan error to be incorporated into the program.

This tool is designed and intended for public consumption to help the people of Nia have an enjoyable game.  It will not be an opened source tool unless Engr decides to give up his hard work.  The app has no implied warranties or guarantees.

If you have questions or comments please visit the FOOM public channel, DPS Recruit in game, and ask for an officer or one of the creators of the application.

Download

The download comes from Engr's site.  Important: Download and extract the program into an empty folder for instillation.  People have reported issues with the installer grabbing other setup executable files when they launch the installer.  It appears to be an issue with WinZip self extractor using the same temp folder for multiple setup files.  I could invest more money in a better installer/updater but the workaround is to simply extract to an empty folder.

MD5 and SHA-1 for the current versions are always on the site.  Verify them if you have questions!

Once you get the program, the auto updater will keep you up to date when a new version is released.

Click here to get the tool. 

Instillation

The program is a .Net Framework application. It has a full installer and when I release new updates the installer will remove the older version and replace it. If you don't have the .Net 4.0 Framework, a link to Microsoft Updates will appear to grab it. Just follow the installer wizard to complete the instillation. You should get a desktop icon once you are done.

There is also an auto update feature which appears when a new version is released. Feel free to utilize that as well. 

Walkthrough

There is a basic walkthrough of the tool on the Scan1App website.  A basic knowledge of the Artifact Scanning system in game is not a prerequisite but it would help.

Re: FOOM Scan1App - Artifact Scanning Tool

Amazing! Thanks a lot for the work and effort.

Rocks

Almost like chaos internal tool for artscan)
GJ!

hmm, i tried to install it - the setup startet but it has installed the "perp fitting tool" instead

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

hmm, i tried to install it - the setup startet but it has installed the "perp fitting tool" instead

I think there is an issue with Perp Fitting Tool's installer which causes it to be the executed installer if anything else is in the same directory.  Try saving the Scan1App installer to a different location and running it from there.  That solved the problem on my end.

Gut Punch wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

I think there is an issue with Perp Fitting Tool's installer which causes it to be the executed installer if anything else is in the same directory.  Try saving the Scan1App installer to a different location and running it from there.  That solved the problem on my end.

I had a similar issue, except it was running the fraps install, this is why I hate Windows.

Excellent, I did something similar in Visio, but this is much easier to use. Thank you!

I belive it is an issue with the self-extractor software, but I can't prove it.  I use that software because it keeps the installation files together as a single file, but I have had this problem in the past.  Might be because a setup.exe already exists in the directory (so extraction fails) and the self-extractor executes it instead of the one in the package.

I recommend moving the downloaded file to an empty directory before running it.

2 developer: I advice to distribute this app as "click once" installer. This will solve this problem

I wish this were a web app instead wink

That aside -- good job.

Yes, this started installing Fraps instead when I tried it.  Now my version of Fraps has been downgraded.  Not happy.

Moved it to another folder and it installed fine, though.

->You just lost The Game<-

Excellent tool!  Thanks Gut.

Gutpunch is my new artifact overlord.

This made scanning so much easier.  Very nice.

You should really think about putting up a donation link.  I'm sure many people would be interested in helping you get more time codes!

->You just lost The Game<-

Great tool.

Any chance you can make it support multiple sites at once?

Works perfectly.

great too, works perfect. Get a donate link up if you can. I would donate.

(BTW for those having problems, just make sure it is in its own folder and it will install fine.)

Current version installs "XDCC Catcher Basic" and is flagged as malware.

After using it for while - got some suggestions:

• please add a dropdownlist where i can choose which artifact the entry is. like "numiquol observer II".
    That way i can enter all results the scanner shows at once, and identifie them afterwards

• different color for result circles depending on the choice

• asking for an actuall screen-capture ocr option would be to much... big_smile

btw, great tool!

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

At the suggestion of a corp mate, I've uploaded the offending file to Jotti virus scan and found it contains a trojan. Do not download and install until Gut Punch can deal with it.

Summary: Installs XDCC Catcher Basic and not scan1App/FOOM. servlite.exe is installed as part of this and is flagged as a trojan/backdoor.

Results: http://virusscan.jotti.org/en/scanresul … 2e375f7886

Cpt Underpants wrote:

Summary: Installs XDCC Catcher Basic and not scan1App/FOOM. servlite.exe is installed as part of this and is flagged as a trojan/backdoor.

To give the author the benefit of the doubt, it looks like it is a generic flagging because it is a packed/obfuscated file. Happens quite regularly with 3rd party applications. Then again it could just be a tool to harvest our accounts and steal all our *** yarr

Secondly, I personally suggest anyone using such an application do so with SandBoxie.

http://www.sandboxie.com/

Hmm.  I'll take a look at it. hmm

Annihilator wrote:

After using it for while - got some suggestions:

• please add a dropdownlist where i can choose which artifact the entry is. like "numiquol observer II".
    That way i can enter all results the scanner shows at once, and identifie them afterwards

• different color for result circles depending on the choice

• asking for an actuall screen-capture ocr option would be to much... big_smile

btw, great tool!

Annihilator,

I've joked with Engr about OCR.  I'd love to change the app to read the geoscanner and then display only circles (to scale) over your radar.  But you can only do so much... big_smile

Can you expand a bit on your multicolor idea?  What are you trying to accomplish?