1 (edited by Stimpy 2010-12-19 01:40:13)

Topic: We need a stronger backstory and sense of purpose

I'm a few days into Perpetuum, and I'm having a really hard time "getting into" the game because I feel like I'm controlling a little robot that I know nothing about, in a world I know nothing about, and have no reason for being here except the joy of pew-pewing some dirt and maybe some red targets.

This game is rock-solid gameplay wise (what content is there is implemented extremely well--very stable and looks and performs great, although I genuinely hate the targeting interface). But in the absence of gameplay content there needs to be a lot more external / virtual content in the form of an in-your-face backstory. I realize that there are only a few guys on the team, and a backstory is as permanent as a critical game feature so it needs to be handled carefully. But I think that should be given priority in your next steps of developing this game. People hold true to these kinds of games when they are deeply immersed, and there's nothing that makes a player more deeply immersed, in my opinion, than engaging interactively in a deep story where you really feel like you're changing the world, or rather changing the universe you're "living in".

I realize that there is a backstory (2, 3, 4, 5). But the basic premise shouldn't have to be sought out, especially "offline" in a browser outside of the game window, where the game must be minimized and immersion is completely lost.

That said, how should it be delivered?

First of all, if you don't have the multimedia talent on hand to produce hi-res video content for the player's first launch of the game, you should show a Homeworld-style narrative slideshow that the user can cancel out of. This should be accessible at any time but always presented at player's first launch. This narrative should explain the world we're about to experience, how we got here, why we're still here, what our short-term objectives are (survive? thrive?), and what our long-term (lifetime and beyond) objectives are ("get back home?" etc).

Second, you guys should not wait like EVE Online did to start adding storyline assignments. After I completed the tutorial assignments (which were very much storyline assignments even though they were focused on only training the player on the basics of gameplay) I immediately sensed thereafter that the standard assignments were meaningless, heartless, purposeless, and had no backstory, goal, or reason. You kill, you get paid. You mine, you get paid. Unacceptable. I'm talking more about the description of the assignment than much else; give me a little story to make me feel like I'm doing justice somewhere, undoing a wrong, or meeting a great need and exactly what that need means, even if for nothing more than greed.

Third, I would really like to get a sense of other egos, personalities, AIs, whatever you want to call them, from the NPCs in the game; as it stands there is absolutely no sense of other entities, just faceless (albeit logo-ified) corporations. In the humanoid universe of EVE Online the agents used verbiage that praised you, taunted you, or despised you; surely this alien world the humans have hacked into have some kind of personality, if not then *yawn*.

Finally, this goes beyond the main idea of this post, and if this fourth point is lost for technical or other reasons then may the other three points remain. But I would like to see much more interactivity in the game itself, where storyline is intertwined with player actions. "Find object X behind the rocks over there." "Place the object in the broken terminal at location B" "Watch the terminal come to life" "Now attack the sentries that you just caused to spawn" "Now take the disc out of the terminal you restored and bring it back to the main terminal (home)". "(this scenario will reset in 60 seconds for other players)" Perhaps this kind of interactivity does exist at higher level assignments, I don't know, I haven't seen it yet. But it shouldn't take much to implement simple triggers.

Overall, I think this game has a lot of potential, but IMO it needs some less-technical creative work applied to it to keep it interesting beyond the first day or two.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Jon

Re: We need a stronger backstory and sense of purpose

You are an agent at a terminal.  The game is the program used to connect to your bot.  The backstory page is your agent reading about history online.

Immersion successful.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

eh, Neoxx, I think you're putting a hasty gloss on what was just said

sometimes well-written narratives, character bios, and missions that present delectable dilemmas can immerse the imagination in a way that is different than graphics/smooth gameplay

+1 on original post

perpetuum is a good game. In its current state it is also a game that doesn't feel epic/weighty/purposeful, precisely because of the lack of narrative content. the 5 website pages of backstory don't cut it, and vast data on fittings/damage types/maths just tickles a different part of the brain altogether, which is not what a certain kind of creative imagination seeks.

+1 original post

Narrative content?  LOLWTF?  Do you want voiceovers and bots with chat bubbles to make you feel like you're in some *** anime dub?

We're essentially in earth orbit connecting to these bots through computers.  The fact that the missions are in text is actually more immersive than if you were to having James Earl Jones read them out to you or some BS like that.

Voice comms are the associated agents talking to eachother likely in the same fashion we are doing.  This is basically a computer game simulating a computer program in the future.

The only immersion further we could have is if when we docked up we had a chance to "walk away" from our computer screen we're currently viewing and walk around some space station in Earth orbit to converse with other players.  Corps/allinaces could buy their own stations to seclude themselves in if they wish, but most players would be in the megacorp ones.

It almost reminds me of what EvE might be doing with being able to walk around inside stations, but this is more universal and not dependent on where your bot is in the actual game.

"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

At this point in time the narrative and epic content you're looking for is what we as players make of the world through our battles and actions. The backstory is just that, its up to us as players to make the rest.

6 (edited by Stimpy 2010-12-21 03:55:24)

Neoxx wrote:

Narrative content?  LOLWTF?  Do you want voiceovers and bots with chat bubbles to make you feel like you're in some *** anime dub?

We're essentially in earth orbit connecting to these bots through computers.  The fact that the missions are in text is actually more immersive than if you were to having James Earl Jones read them out to you or some BS like that.

Clearly you did not read the post in full. No one asked for voice-overs. Come back when you can read before spouting. Also, unlike you some of us are PvE'rs over PvP'rs. I for one don't get my kick out of trolling. Perhaps appreciation for PvE is something that is beyond your understanding; go back to your bullying innocent mechs.

7 (edited by Stimpy 2010-12-21 03:45:22)

Kroth wrote:

At this point in time the narrative and epic content you're looking for is what we as players make of the world through our battles and actions. The backstory is just that, its up to us as players to make the rest.

This is laziness. I've played 10 if not 20 MMORPGs in the past, I know all about player-driven content. If you are a dev I'd swear off this game after a lazy suggestion like this. I have an Internet full of entertaining content and social activity to get back to. Call me when there's a packaged GAME ready for me to EXPERIENCE.

Literally, though, it's a good game, but needs more packaged story-driven content.

Stimpy wrote:
Kroth wrote:

This is laziness. I've played 10 if not 20 MMORPGs in the past, I know all about player-driven content. If you are a dev I'd swear off this game after a lazy suggestion like this. I have an Internet full of entertaining content and social activity to get back to. Call me when there's a packaged GAME ready for me to EXPERIENCE.

Literally, though, it's a good game, but needs more packaged story-driven content.

I suggest playing another game if you want the game to tell you how much of a hero you are just because you play it.

I can agree with a more hashed out back story that gives you more of a sense of purpose to go out and be whoever you want to be, but having canned content that just leads you through some bs story line just to soak up your time and get you addicted to 'dings' is not what this game is about.

Perhaps that's not what it's about to you, Neoxx. Your notorious reputation in this game disqualifies you from really even empathizing with PvE'ers, and this game is in fact a PvE-supporting game. Please, go troll a different thread, one that empathizes with bullies.

Stimpy wrote:

Perhaps that's not what it's about to you, Neoxx. Your notorious reputation in this game disqualifies you from really even empathizing with PvE'ers, and this game is in fact a PvE-supporting game. Please, go troll a different thread, one that empathizes with bullies.

Aww... that's the sweetest thing anyone has ever said to me!

This isn't a PvE supported game. That's an illusion. PvE stops in what might be the equivalent of level 10 in another MMO. All the higher level mobs are going to be on the beta islands. If you are on a beta island, it doesn't matter what you are doing, you are PvPing in some way, shape or form.

12 (edited by Petteri Petraaja 2010-12-23 07:19:44)

CoyoteTheClever wrote:

This isn't a PvE supported game. That's an illusion. PvE stops in what might be the equivalent of level 10 in another MMO. All the higher level mobs are going to be on the beta islands. If you are on a beta island, it doesn't matter what you are doing, you are PvPing in some way, shape or form.

Thumbs up to Devs if they are so hardcore that they give the give the finger to 90% of the mmo customer base.

And also, about purely player made content/storyline..

Prologue: Min-maxing the zerg 101

Chapter 1: How to best (ab)use the game mechanics
Chapter 2: My E-peen is bigger than yours
Chapter 3: No it's not!
Chapter 4: My e-honor
Chapter 5: LoL!
Chapter 6: Forum Warriors and too small log out button
Chapter 7: Zerg!
Chapter 8: lol RP
Chapter 9: Still abusing the game mechanics
Chapter 10: Newbs cry "Grief!"
Chapter 11: Vets cry "game mechanics!"
Chapter 12: How to abuse new content
Chapter 13: Learn 2 Play!
Chapter 14: BashsmackQQlolboastkillfragdestroy
Chapter 15: There's a story in this game? lololO!l!1

Epilogue: Internet Robots are important and everyone keeps stroking their e-peens

The End

=

+1 to OP

There is great potential for an actual storyline in this game. No matter if we the players are "only sparks" in a world far away.

Let's not dumb down the story to "who controls what base in what pvp island".
Not very epic.

-edited for clarity

gb2wow

Reactor......ONLINE
Sensors......ONLINE
Weapons......ONLINE
All systems nominal.

a narrative trailer could be cool tho, and we need more infos about the "energy" taken from Nia and its influence in the gameplay.

Petteri Petraaja wrote:

Thumbs up to Devs if they are so hardcore that they give the give the finger to 90% of the mmo customer base.

More like 5%.  Most of us don't read full quest descriptions and imagine ourselves in a mysterious land, embarking on a magical adventure every time we're told to go kill 10 deer.  We just click accept and make the ugly window go away so we can get back to killing stuff.

Go strap on some elf ears and a cape and play some lotro.  Most of us wanna write our own stories as we hunt ppl down and blow them to bits!

1 word - "sandbox"

Paly Thoa wrote:
Petteri Petraaja wrote:

More like 5%.  Most of us don't read full quest descriptions and imagine ourselves in a mysterious land, embarking on a magical adventure every time we're told to go kill 10 deer.  We just click accept and make the ugly window go away so we can get back to killing stuff.

Go strap on some elf ears and a cape and play some lotro.  Most of us wanna write our own stories as we hunt ppl down and blow them to bits!

I was referring to Coyote saying that this is not a PvE supported game and 90% was an rough estimate about percentage of those who prefer PvE over PvP. Good background and evolving storyline doesn't require one to strap on elf ears. It is added content and imho adds to the game even without "lol RP" aspects.

Am slightly curious about what kind of stories you write as you hunt ppl down and blow them to bits?

SAXON wrote:

1 word - "sandbox"

Ok, there are quite many definitions for what a "sandbox"-game is but very few of them dictate that there should be no background or storyline in the game.

Even if you add storyline and even in-game content relating to that story, it doesn't necessarily follow that your playing would be restricted in any way.

I'm in two minds about this one. What we came here for was a sandbox. What we have is an industrial, trade and military simulation. Those are the basic building blocks for the kind of game we want to play, and while they won't keep us happy and occupied forever it's a good start.

The simulation will become more interesting and more engaging if there is a background world for us to operate in. Not a bare bones simulation but something that makes us feel we are part of a real world. It doesn't have to be done in such a way that it dictates our relations with each other.

I enjoy reading novels or watching films and the best sci fi and fantasy ones have an interesting, deep, well thought out world in which the events are set.

The background should not provide the content, which is what Neoxx et al are against. The backdrop should be the stage scenery that gives our gameplay a bit of colour.

I think it would be great to have the NPC corps CEOs given faces and figures, their bios filled out, and snippets of dialogue available that tell the story of Project Perpetuum. I also really want to know more about the history and origin of the robots, I think a lot could be made of this that would keep people interested in the game.

The issue is whether the devs have time to make this a priority, and whether it should be made a priority.

"...playing a game is the voluntary attempt to overcome unnecessary obstacles."
Bernard Suits, 1978

The DEVs have said in the past that the game lore needs to be rewritten. They game has only been released just over a month.

They have been busy with other stuff. I am sure the lore stuff will come a long at some point.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

21 (edited by Stimpy 2010-12-31 14:20:14)

Campana wrote:

What we came here for was a sandbox. What we have is an industrial, trade and military simulation. Those are the basic building blocks for the kind of game we want to play, and while they won't keep us happy and occupied forever it's a good start.

Yeah the basic building blocks we have here are good for anything, though, good even for PvE. Why can't it be for predefined, story-driven gameplay as much as a sandbox?

About that sandbox .. I still don't see much of it in the game, but then again I haven't seen much of the game. All I've seen so far has been pew-pewing dirt and other mechs. Except for the bloody ugly avatar creation and the EVE-like fitting customization and inventory, I don't see a sandbox. Yet.

Sandbox to me is Second Life anyway. Nothing you do in Perpetuum affects the world on the whole except those whom you kill in PvP. And of course the market. But can you own a station? Can you build one? Can you set up automated turrets? (I suppose these are real questions, perhaps you can, I dunno. Otherwise, if not, my point is made.) Is there *any* perceived meaning to life in this world besides harvesting, inventing, and killing?

.. Cause I'm just trying to give the devs something really, really cheap (read: cost-effective) to make the game more interesting. Content does not have to involve a huge amount of technical engineering.

Stimpy wrote:

About that sandbox .. I still don't see much of it in the game, but then again I haven't seen much of the game. All I've seen so far has been pew-pewing dirt and other mechs. Except for the bloody ugly avatar creation and the EVE-like fitting customization and inventory, I don't see a sandbox. Yet.

Sandbox to me is Second Life anyway. Nothing you do in Perpetuum affects the world on the whole except those whom you kill in PvP. And of course the market. But can you own a station? Can you build one? Can you set up automated turrets? (I suppose these are real questions, perhaps you can, I dunno. Otherwise, if not, my point is made.) Is there *any* perceived meaning to life in this world besides harvesting, inventing, and killing?

.. Cause I'm just trying to give the devs something really, really cheap (read: cost-effective) to make the game more interesting. Content does not have to involve a huge amount of technical engineering.

I guess I agree with this. I don't want a storyline to follow. I don't want an end boss to defeat. I want to make the story with my corp mates, and the end boss should be the enemy corporations I don't  like. But would I like a more vibrant world? Would I like to know more about the NPC corporations I'm doing odd jobs for? Would I like them to matter a little? Yes. As far as owning stations, building things, etc., I believe those are intended for the future already. Hell, they are supposed to allow terraforming, that's a practically unheard of level of player control in an MMO like this.

23 (edited by Kyr 2011-01-04 07:26:21)

if u put together a lot dev quotes it looks like:

after first invasion of humans on nia was successfull and the 3 main factions of nia where infested with human nanobot agents that took over control of a lot stations the next step is

creation of a 4th faction that combine human technologies and stolen nia technologies

this 4th faction will follow main purpose of invasion the create energy transfer stations to transport energy to earth (i guess this faction will be based around hybrid bots/mechs/tanks and will also have some firearm specialized bots)

i also guess that some agents from earth spacestation find a way to give up their human body and upload themself somehow into the nia network

after that the player corps have the choice what to do

be a group of loyal to earth agents and go to fight against other corps and secure as much energy for earth as possible

or be a the the transfered agents that choose nia as their new homeworld and dont care for earth and their energy problem at all

at this point the player starte to strong influence how the story develop

if perpetuum become a battle from human agents controled robots for the needed energy for ur earth corporation

or  choose to upload to nia and cut the band to earth maybe even try to save nia from the energy thiefs and try to close the wormhole

or some mix between both and epic fights that decide the future of nia

everything possible

<<< REAL POWER CAN NOT BE GIVEN, IT MUST BE TAKEN >>>

Kyr - Perpetuum Online
Helios Norlund - Darkfall Online

I think even a happy median would be to have short story-tech articles for various parts of the game.

Something like, have a few paragraphs, maybe a little artwork talking about the bot control interface.  Maybe another page that is an in character journal/account of living on a space station as an agent.  Perhaps another about how "modern" laser technology came into being and was adapted for weapons use.  Things like that.

The "why are we here?" question is always going to be answered by a combination of history and and current knowledge.  I think we've got a pretty good basic line of history, now it just needs fleshing out with some articles about how things currently work.

We are working on a new website and a lore revamp that integrates into the game. Also, holy necro batman!