Topic: Future POS Implementation

So I've read throughout the forums that player owned structures are being worked on for the next expansion of Perpetuum. I absolutely love this idea and I'm looking forward to seeing it implemented in the worst way. My request is actually regarding that implementation and I should add that I'm assuming the structures will only be constructible/obtainable on the beta islands.

Instead of only allowing structures to be another part of the free-for-all that are the beta islands, allow the "rights" for these structures to be bid on in the free market. In other words, transform the domain of the POS from exclusively combat pvp to both combat pvp and market pvp. By enabling industrialists to buy the rights (read Syn-tec protection) of the structures or their surroundings, it would give non-combat agents and corporations a chance to compete for these valuable assets. The protection could be in the form of an entirely different island where the land is leased to the highest bidder or it could be by granting safe zones in certain areas of the beta islands. No matter the implementation of this mechanic, I think it would help to sustain the balance of power between industrialists and combatants and thereby create more growth for the whole community.

Re: Future POS Implementation

Gerrick, although i can understand your desire this feature will be available.

If an industrialist has enough money or enough desire he can achieve this one of several ways

a) Join a Beta Island Corporation

b) Hire Mercs to capture and defend said structure

c) Pay the prevelant Alliance on that Island for standings or come to some sort of deal

I would be very against game mechanics being introduced that would remove the option for people to negotiate, make deals, break deals etc etc.  as it removes the human element and the opportunity for exciting dynamic changes in the game

3 (edited by Gerrick 2010-12-16 12:49:22)

I guess it all hinges on how reliable a hired player-run protection service would be at protecting a POS. I can't say that I've been a big part of pvp so I have no idea if it is feasible or not. Can a single corporation, or well-knit alliance I suppose, defend an island by itself, all the time?

If this is the case, or if the POSes are protected by a shield of some sort (similar to a certain other MMO), then I could definitely see that as a viable alternative.

Might makes right.

Even now, no one really 'owns' the beta Islands. The corporations that hold outposts get a very slight advantage on the Island because they can use it as a base of operations, but technically anyone can dock there and make it thier home.

Only by forming alliances are corps maintaining even the illusion of control, and there are still roams, spies, and mining ops by non-alliance members happening continually on beta.

It would be very very difficult for a non-allied group to effectively use a POS on a beta Island, even if the structure itself was sheilded. Any alliance would make it thier priority to remove said POS and/or make it impossible for you to reach it or use it if the POS itself was immune.

That said, I think I agree with you that ANYONE should be able to create a POS, but offering any kind of NPC protection status would be useless and counter to the beta Islands being open.

Yes, I suppose that NPC-granted immunity would be too much for the beta islands. My chief concern is that even if you arranged to be friendly with the alliance that controlled the island, it would be impossible to protect your assets at all hours of the day. Some sort of feature that enabled auto-protection (like turrets or hired NPC bots) would at least grant players the ability to purchase a sort of insurance against the inevitable target painted on their most expensive assets. I agree with you that 'Might makes right', especially on the beta islands, so I think economic might should also have some form of expression.

Oh, hope this doesn't sound too trolly, but ecomomic might would be the ablilty to buy a replacemnet.

POS's should have module slots just like mechs, what you put in them will determine how much offense/defense/industry you get out of it.

POS's should have module slots just like mechs, what you put in them will determine how much offense/defense/industry you get out of it.

As long as they can defend themselves somehow I'd be happy.

Any automated defense system which could fend of an attack without the aid of other defending players is then impossible to capture when defending players are around.

Snowstyle wrote:

Any automated defense system which could fend of an attack without the aid of other defending players is then impossible to capture when defending players are around.

That would wholly depend on the intensity of the attack.

A tanking POS may easily defend against a blobette (TM Jelan) but fall to a full sized blob.

Your missing the point. Automated defenses make it so that the attackers now have to bring a force strong enough to overwhelm both you and your "blobette" repelling NPCs. Attackers should only have to defeat the defenders. Not defenders + handicap.

Attackers should only have to defeat the defenders. Not defenders + handicap.

I don't see why this is. If you build a fort, you expect it to give you some kind of advantage.

Snowstyle wrote:

Your missing the point. Automated defenses make it so that the attackers now have to bring a force strong enough to overwhelm both you and your "blobette" repelling NPCs. Attackers should only have to defeat the defenders. Not defenders + handicap.

That is exactly why people throughout history and in games build defenses.......that is their purpose. From your statement all battles should be held in open fields with nothing that can be used for defense? What would be the point in taking/holding an outpost then?

Who the $#@% is stEvE?

Snowstyle wrote:

I didn't miss the point, we were out having coffee without you.

Spending NIC and/or resources on modules is what the game is all about. You're never going to be able to sneak in and solo a POS. If a POS does not have the ability to defend itself no one is going to build one, it would be a waste of resources since a defenseless object would be destroyed 10 mins after being left alone.

Alternately, a POS should never be so powerful that it can't be destroyed by a large enough force; the size of the force being porportional to the cost of the defenses installed.

Why not implement such a feature on the Alpha islands?

stEvE had high-sec PoS. Instead of requiring very high rep and ridiculous amounts of battleship to take over we could do Alpha PoS that had a monthly auction.

From the start of a month till the end players can bid on a piece of land on the Alpha islands and if they win they can build a PoS there that will last till the end of the next month. At which point the land is given to the corp who won the auction of that month. If it's a different corp then the PoS structures will be returned to the corp hangar of the nearest terminal. There should probably be a permanent main structure that's never removed and switches ownership ( original ownership by syn-tec )

POS could be used for production efficiency somewhere between the best of Alpha and the best of Beta as well as tax income from other players using it.

*Insert really awesome sig here*

Zhyntil wrote:
Snowstyle wrote:

That is exactly why people throughout history and in games build defenses.......that is their purpose. From your statement all battles should be held in open fields with nothing that can be used for defense? What would be the point in taking/holding an outpost then?

PvP should not be turned into PvE. Nor should the two be mixed.

16 (edited by Arga 2010-12-18 02:20:57)

Snowstyle wrote:

Then the POS should not be targetable at all because its a environment item. Which leaves scheduling Incursion type events to capture or destroy the POS.

Edited: PVE to environment, its environment because it is not occupied/controlled by a player.

Arga wrote:
Snowstyle wrote:

Then the POS should not be targetable at all because its a environment item. Which leaves scheduling Incursion type events to capture or destroy the POS.

Edited: PVE to environment, its environment because it is not occupied/controlled by a player.

The E has to fight back for it to be PvE. Kinda like how ganking afk miners isn't PvP. No matter how satisfying their loot is.