26 (edited by BeastmodeGuNs 2017-08-03 07:18:55)

Re: liquidation of "Avatar Creations"

DEV Zoom wrote:

I wanted to do this in a blog post but yeah we've been silent for too long, so in short this is how things are now:

I'm sorry to say that Perpetuum is not actively developed anymore, but you probably noticed that.

Me and Gargaj officially left the company a while ago and Avatar Creations (the development company) is not worth to keep for the remaining developers. So yes, Avatar Creations is being shut down.

That said, the game is and has always been published and run by its sister company, Gamestorm Ltd., which is still alive. Thus, Steam distribution and running the server are not affected by the closure of Avatar Creations.

Nevertheless, we didn't want the game just simply die and fade into nothingness, so in our free time all of us have been working on a standalone server for Perpetuum that you can run on your own. Most of the work is done and it will be ready for testing soon.

The official server will still be around for an undetermined time, but since we won't be able to control the standalone servers, the game will practically become DRM-free.

Once the standalone server is ready I will do a more detailed blog post about it.

tl;dr - Perpetuum is not shutting down, but is not being actively developed.

Thank you for confirming, and thank you very much for your hard work, thanks to this game, these last 5 years of gaming have so far been the best I have had and Perpetuum opened my eyes to multiple things within gaming and MMOs that I shall carry on in games that I play in the future.

Thanks for your hard work in continuing to try to do what you thought was right for the game, even when the majority of us in the community were barking non-stop about every little thing.

Thanks for holding out alongside the game as long as you did considering that the game admittedly did suffer from low overall population for long periods of time, that is determination on its own.

And most important... thank you VERY MUCH, for creating this game for people to enjoy it to begin with, I doubt I will ever be able to have a Sandbox MMO experience as good as the experiences, memories, and killmails created here.

Godspeed wherever the winds may carry you from Nia fellow devs and agents of the Perpetuum project! Best of wishes in your future endeavors to the devs who will be gone after the liquidation of the company!

Once you bring about the gift of the standalone server, those of us who still care will strive to revive the game in the same way the Supreme Commander community saved Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance! The fact that this happened there gives me the hope that the remnant of our community will be able to carry the torch, it is only a matter of you providing us all the possible tools and the means to continue onward.

P.S. I nominate NullPointer and Anni as lead devs of the community revival project! xD

Reading this signature fills you with determination.

Well I have at times (many times) given the devs a lot of fire for changes & things that have been done in the game... BUT you guys still created a game that has been the single best game i have ever enjoyed. And it does show huge amounts of talent.

I wish you Zoom & Gargaj the very best for what other things life now brings you. smile

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Thanks for your work, thanks for the game, good luck in the future.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

I am proud to be Hungarian!

I think I already showed a love towards this game, just two words THANK YOU! One of my best experience in my gaming history.

PS. Now Project Perpetuum starts!

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

30 (edited by Turbo Kotlet 2017-08-03 13:48:04)

Playing Perpetuum more off than on recent years however I want to disclose my deepest respect to all who put a part of your hearts in creating, developing and playing this beautiful game. Experience I had in Perpetuum was one of most inspiring moments in more than 12 years of my MMO adventuring. This World definitely is Live and this is part of a miracle that we call the Game. It is not possible to gauge or calculate, it just happens like live spirit makes things live. And Perpetuum are one of those gems.

I wish all the best to all of us and hope we will meet some day in a new and restarted world of Perpetuum.

aka Kvazimora

Here is my 10 cents.

Dear Avatar Creations crew,

I never met you "face to face" (unlike Annihilator), and perhaps now I'll never see you, but I want to thank you for doing and maintaining Perpetuum for the all those years. I remember when I've started playing the game during it's betas 'till launch on different (and forgotten now) account, and I saw people were everywhere, and tutorial wasn't so clear like now. I had to stop when subscription went in, and I had to forgot about Perp to the time, when the game switched from p2p to b2p. Of course I bought the client, and saw what was changed after so long time. And there was a many changes. Anyway, I'll still remember about Perp like in the time when subs came in.

Take Care o7 cool

The fact that we are still reading and responding to the forums shows the love and impact this game has had on us.

Most of us have many, many years of gaming under our belt and have played tons of different games and this is indeed one of the most memorable and interesting of all of them.

Thank you for making it and putting your hearts and souls into such a great game.

Thank you for endless hours of awesome conversation, explosions, sand castle building and all the effort that you put into this game. I'd love to run into you on a private server, once they are available and ready to run.

Also thanks to the community. Although you/we haven't always been nice, it was one of the coolest gaming community to play with/against and I'll probably remember the names of a few of you guys for the rest of my life. Be safe o7

Yes it was all fun and dramatic...

... But within 24 hours of this "stuff" getting out and being posted on Steam, there's replies and "informing the community". Nevermind the last 3 months of the last 10 people playing literally begging for some scrap of information. neutral

Even if there is a community server, how will new players be able to join it? By buying the game on Steam? And 6 months down the road, when the community server is developed and rebalanced far beyond the point of the official server, will people be buying premium here to boost their characters on the community server? lol

So many questions to be answered in the blog post. smile

I'd assume having a standalone server would bypass any character creation system of this website. Otherwise it wouldn't really be standalone.

New Players will have to be gained by word of mouth - which will be quite the task!

Looking forward to the test and/or official post

Khetar wrote:

I'd assume having a standalone server would bypass any character creation system of this website. Otherwise it wouldn't really be standalone.

Character creation was never on this website in the first place - there is of course a gateway that creates you a forum avatar, but that is just something we did to sync your accounts between the forum and the game for convenience.

On a standalone server, character creation would work exactly like it does now, except of course the character will be local to that server.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

The question to think of now, is new website and one persistent game server, which will be managed, hosted and developed further by the team gathered from current community. That way it may lead to something new and interesting. It's better to come to some agreements and make one good server instead of dosens of potatoes.

38 (edited by Khetar 2017-08-04 17:27:07)

DEV Gargaj wrote:
Khetar wrote:

Character creation was never on this website in the first place - there is of course a gateway that creates you a forum avatar, but that is just something we did to sync your accounts between the forum and the game for convenience.

On a standalone server, character creation would work exactly like it does now, except of course the character will be local to that server.

Sorry, account creation was what I meant.

Since you're reading and answering (thanks for that btw smile ):
Can you give us an idea of what will be needed to run the perp standalone? Or one or two islands at once? Just a rough estimate, no specific number needed.

Another question: As new robots/modules have always been a problem to be introduced to the game: Will we get the ability to do so? If so, could you do a quick explanation how it works, when you're done?

I wonder - what about Steam Client? roll

40 (edited by Annihilator 2017-08-04 18:20:19)

Man Gan wrote:

I wonder - what about Steam Client? roll

i think the client will get a "lobby" added to join servers
just like many other games on steam.

what i find interesting -
those setting up a standalone server will more or less be able to "sell" their own booster packs.. big_smile
and since EXP for npc kills is already a developed feature,
someone could set up a server where you actually progress by playing, not waiting.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Khetar wrote:
DEV Gargaj wrote:
Khetar wrote:

Sorry, account creation was what I meant.

Since you're reading and answering (thanks for that btw smile ):
Can you give us an idea of what will be needed to run the perp standalone? Or one or two islands at once? Just a rough estimate, no specific number needed.

Another question: As new robots/modules have always been a problem to be introduced to the game: Will we get the ability to do so? If so, could you do a quick explanation how it works, when you're done?

These are all crossing over to the blogpost territory; part of the reason I'm not too verbose about it is because we don't know everything 100% yet.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

Do you have mirrors of what the game was like at release? If you could roll the server's back to that and then sell upgrades with the new functionality is hump your leg.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Suggested upgrades would be:

Missions
Field terminals
Beta 2
MK2 robots
Syndicate robots

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Dear Dev's, thank you for making this game. It has been probably the best MMO experience I have had (played a few in my time as well). I have so much enjoyed the fights, the enemies, the politics, the friends and fun in my time here.

I think that your noble gesture of providing the game DRM free is all the more powerful given the personal blood and tears you put in this game. I salute you sirs.

I do hope a version of the game can continue, as I would still very much interested. As Beast said FA Forever have done and my other favourate Return of Reckoning (Warhammer online) as well.

Thanks  to you two Devs here for giving a short information about current state. I'm waiting for the Blog with details.

This game has indeed so many great things providing a good and solid game from start to now.
Beside all complaints you read from us players you provided a great pleasure to many player.

And while there were always little details to complain about, the overall experience from End of 2010 to today was always better than 95% of other games I tried in between.

Goffer wrote:

And while there were always little details to complain about, the overall experience from End of 2010 to today was always better than 95% of other games I tried in between.

I need to quote this.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Not going to say anything like other people did because it's all sounds as farewell speeches and I think it's not ended yet.

So just bring me mah blogz >:L

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

48 (edited by Gekko 2017-08-09 12:59:11)

Well, looking back, it was better than Eve for me, after all. And not because of f2p, which wasn't so for me anyway roll

I suppose there's no people with development skills to drive this software forward, except for remaining players?

Had some good times here and this game will be in my heart like Anarchy Online used to be.

Thanks for all the fish, everyone. yarr

Devs: Thank you for replying, I will never forget this game. When I bumped into this game shortly after launch it was exactly what I was looking for in an MMO. the future looked bright, as there was huge pontential. As time went on with some good and bad moves, I saw what really kept it in the shadows was the slow development that kept slowing down and keep up with other MMOs.

Anyhow it's great news that a standalone server is been developed on your free time. You 2 devs are the greatest and most friendly I have ever met!

RIP PERPETUUM