1 (edited by Gekko 2016-12-11 09:43:30)

Topic: World Community Grid

WCG official site

World Community Grid enables anyone with a computer, smartphone or tablet to donate their unused computing power to advance cutting-edge scientific research on topics related to health, poverty and sustainability. Through the contributions of over 650,000 individuals and 460 organizations, World Community Grid has supported 27 research projects to date, including searches for more effective treatments for cancer, HIV/AIDS and neglected tropical diseases. Other projects are looking for low-cost water filtration systems and new materials for capturing solar energy efficiently.

Don't just mine liquizit with Scarab, help science! Earn good carma smile

It's uses BOINC client, doesn't affect games when running, by my experience. But some other(non-WCG) BOINC apps can eat some RAM.

Re: World Community Grid

Although you won't get any money for it, there's points and signature such as
this,
this
or stat sites
(yep, iSuck with my laptop smile)

i used to have SETI@home running on my PC years ago, until my mother presented me the electricity bill.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Gekko wrote:

WCG official site

World Community Grid enables anyone with a computer, smartphone or tablet to donate their unused computing power to advance cutting-edge scientific research on topics related to health, poverty and sustainability. Through the contributions of over 650,000 individuals and 460 organizations, World Community Grid has supported 27 research projects to date, including searches for more effective treatments for cancer, HIV/AIDS and neglected tropical diseases. Other projects are looking for low-cost water filtration systems and new materials for capturing solar energy efficiently.

Don't just mine liquizit with Scarab, help science! Earn good carma smile

It's uses BOINC client, doesn't affect games when running, by my experience. But some other(non-WCG) BOINC apps can eat some RAM.

Make more rich Farmaceuticals !!.

Ignorance is curable, Stupidity is not.
The "Planet of the Apes" is not science fiction, is a daily reality.
All is in "The Matrix".
See Beyond the Obvious.

Race Drones wrote:

Make more rich Farmaceuticals !!.

Well, there's projects from another fields. For example, Einstein@home, pulsar-neutron stars.
Or SETI@home smile

Years ago I had 200 opterons cluster to donate calculation time, I sent them an email asking if the cure to the diseases was going to be low cost or free when they developed it, THEY NEVER ANSWERED.

They can go f***ck, they buy their own computers !!.

Ignorance is curable, Stupidity is not.
The "Planet of the Apes" is not science fiction, is a daily reality.
All is in "The Matrix".
See Beyond the Obvious.

Race Drones wrote:

Years ago I had 200 opterons cluster to donate calculation time, I sent them an email asking if the cure to the diseases was going to be low cost or free when they developed it, THEY NEVER ANSWERED.

They can go f***ck, they buy their own computers !!.

I'm going back to astronomy projects fuuu lol