Topic: Colored Mining Lasers/Harvesters

Im sure this request has been said more than once, but I was just thinking about it. when corporations have mining events or gathering events, it gets kind of bland to see everyone using the same color beams. This could be solved by offering different colored "lenses" for the different lasers/beams (which would probably be the harder way), or by giving the choice to cycle through the different colors of the lasers by ammunition type.

When looking at EVE, there is a definite beauty in the colors that it offers. Don't get me wrong, Perpetuum has its own beauty in its own way, but by giving the choice for different colored beams, it would spice up customization that is visible to players. I think that is one thing that this game is lacking: player customization. This game is great by all means, but being able to customize even the smallest aspects to show others is just one more thing that would draw more people here.

Re: Colored Mining Lasers/Harvesters

I don't think there is any reason to believe that the benefit per dev time used would be high for this.

I agree, I would put robot-paint way ahead of this if we are talking new cosmetic features.
But if implementing this is trivial, why not? 
+1 if trivial

logicalNegation wrote:

... I would put robot-paint way ahead of this ...

Dev Blog May 2014 wrote:

Robot paint system
We have already deployed the foundations of the paint system in a recent patch (you probably noticed because most of the robots received a white color due to a bug).

The coloring system will be definitely not just some “pick a color and be done with it”-thing: we’ll have paint items that you can either gather or manufacture and then mix them together to get the final color for your robot; so basically fully integrate the painting frenzy into the industry and market economy.

Sounds to me like it's been tantalisingly close for two years now.  The community has been clamouring for this pretty much since the game launched.
Any chance of an update, Zoom?

*sarkasm*
what? you want to have everyone see what you are mining by just looking at you.
are you nuts?
that would make cargo scanners obsolete, giving away free intel to anyone!! fuuu
*/sarkasm*

well, it would actually be possible to have different colors per ammo, since its already done for laser weapons.
its a bit harder for harvesters, since they work differently and there is only one ammo (which i would actually prefer for miners too!!)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Having a bunch of miners mining the patch and be in visual proximity of each other the woudl all be using the same charge and therefore would still be monocolored if it was tied to the ammo type.

Why does it need to be tied to an ore / liquid or plant type?  Can't it just be tied to what a person wants to use?

Perhaps they just made a cash shop / credit type item that let you switch between the normal color and one you purchased ... it might need to be a 'slot' on the bot, but w/e. 

While undocked you would right click yer bot picture and a menu would appear :

Mining Beam color : 
                              Red
                              Blue
                              White
                              Green
                              Yellow
                               ect ...

Something like that.  tongue

-Ensi

Rainbow trails for missiles and explosions with flowers and confetti big_smile On April 1.

Well, i'm not against some customization...

@Gekko  :  Lawls

-Ensi

ensi - same dilemma as with robot colors:

the DEV have only a few robot meshes, and already started to make them look different by color coding MK1, MK2 and Elite versions.

paintjobs would override that.

same with weapon colors.
each ammo type has a defined color-trail or explosion. 

now giving player the ability to just change the color of the mining lasers FX wouldn't work...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

ensi - same dilemma as with robot colors:

the DEV have only a few robot meshes, and already started to make them look different by color coding MK1, MK2 and Elite versions.

paintjobs would override that.

same with weapon colors.
each ammo type has a defined color-trail or explosion. 

now giving player the ability to just change the color of the mining lasers FX wouldn't work...

I used to know how do do 3D modeling ... it's been almost 2 decades since I've even had a program to use. 

They need the ability to create different models.  We need to see models that are NOT based off the current ones, just pieces put together in a different order ...

Variety ... that's what it comes down to.  I wouldn't think paint would be so difficult to add ... but i'm most definitely NOT a programmer.

-Ensi

Rainbow lazers... Smells like LGBT sikret plan...

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Line wrote:

Rainbow lazers... Smells like LGBT sikret plan...

lol