Topic: Terraforming? can we build?

Yes I am new to the game, just running missions currently trying to build up some coin so I can get a better robot.  So I have some time to kill in between running fedex missions.

I was wondering what Terraforming is all about and can we build a base, if not is there any plans for something like that in the future?

Either way , I am enjoying the game mechanics.

Re: Terraforming? can we build?

Yes you can build bases and terraform on gamma islands. It's called the Modular Private Colony system and you can find some info about it in the game guide, but admittedly that is very much lagging behind the changes that we have made to it since its introduction. An extensive and up to date guide is on my todo.

You can build in gamma and only in gamma. That is in deep PvP land unlike the alpha dwelling you are likely doing now.

The Terraforming is a bit limited nowadays, so you may not like it, also to do some Gamma stuff you need a team! Join a corp and ask them where you can help.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

So you want to build a base?

Base building:  very fun, extremely time and labor intensive.

To build a base you will need the following items: 

A standard main terminal.
500 construction blocks.
Lithus Mk2
Heavy Mech industrial robot with 5 construction modules.

A standard main terminal is your center point to your base.  Bases are like cities in this game.  Meaning you'll have to Provide other buildings to turn on facilities,  if you want to repair damaged modules in station you'll have to build a repair facility.  Requires a building foundation and more construction blocks.

Construction blocks:  they are expensive!  You have to have colixium which can only be mined on gamma with a mining tower(which also has to be built using construction blocks).  Which means if your brand new you'll have to buy them off the market the seeded Syn tec blocks.

Lithus mk2 or scarab pilot, these are robots to transport items. Extremely expensive and e intensive.

Once you get all that you'll need to be in a player corporation.  You won't have access controls in npc starter corporations.

Then you will have to find a nice flat area in a non red zone.  To place the terminal it'll be a little thing you'll have to click on to activate it.  Once it's active a huge hologram structure pops up.  You go back switch out your heavy mech load your arms and cargo up with construction blocks and return start building.  During this time your building can be completely destroyed.  So you need to be fast.  You'll target the structure and click on your construction arms/modules. You will only be able to run three arms at one time.  And because we masochist developers, you'll have to make three separate trips because construction blocks are heavy.  Once four hours is over(build time + running back refilling arms + avoiding roaming npcs). You'll have a terminal up.

Now, every gamma has a Pvp player faction on it.  Meaning they will try to kill you and your base.  So you'll need a reactor, energy backbones, energy transfers, and turrets.  Probably repair nodes for turrets.  Your going to have to power the base too.  GG with that.  So approx 28 hours build time solo.  Doesn't include manufacturing the items.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

ville forgot to mention also the pain of all tha manual connection you have to make between the buildings for... only god knows for what reason.

also those connections are limited and cannot be undone if any of your buildings is damaged down to 50%, where suddenly the building becomes indestructible - another game mechanic that was implementd for said masochists to protect the sandcastles of those who need protection - aka the player group with the best ability to built and defend said buildings fuuu

ville also forgot to mention that you first need to build almost all availiable buildings, to be even able to do a full production cycle of anything there (from processing your mined minerals up to crafting anything)

and your defense turrets wont defend you against the npcs that will casually roam around, killing you in a few seconds.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

7 (edited by Rovoc 2016-07-01 01:04:53)

Both of yall mofo's forgot the most important thing, which is you have to power the entire base.  3 ways you can power your structure.  The First is pump cryo in it, which after a time costs a butt load of liquizit and hdt.  The Second way is by having energy fields, which require energy wells.  And if you're not close to the well itself you need command relays to transfer the energy.  Last but not lease, energy transfer it yourself.  This includes getting a bot, usually a rivler or a symbiont, and slapping energy transfers on them and aiming  said transfers at your reactors and transfering.  Any way you look at it, powering  these stations takes a ton of resources.  You're lucky though, there used to be a bug that wiped out your entire energy grid every server reset.  A bunch of players i know got screwed over having to dump millions of cryo in their reactors only to get screwed in the end. Thx Zoom im still salty about that one.

So to further expand on it, there's no REAL incentive to be on Gamma.  It's next to impossible to do solo without 10 alts and btw, terraforming erodes in time, so your work is for nothing.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Rovoc wrote:

<snip> Last but not lease, energy transfer it yourself.  This includes getting a bot, usually a rivler or a symbiont, and slapping energy transfers on them and aiming  said transfers at your reactors and transfering.

Since the last couple of patches this does not work anymore. It may be fixed in the incoming patch, but we'll see what happens with that.

Blocker wrote:
Rovoc wrote:

<snip> Last but not lease, energy transfer it yourself.  This includes getting a bot, usually a rivler or a symbiont, and slapping energy transfers on them and aiming  said transfers at your reactors and transfering.

Since the last couple of patches this does not work anymore. It may be fixed in the incoming patch, but we'll see what happens with that.

It's a LoS issue and will get fixed today.

Ville wrote:

So to further expand on it, there's no REAL incentive to be on Gamma.  It's next to impossible to do solo without 10 alts and btw, terraforming erodes in time, so your work is for nothing.

terraforming doesn't erode around you're base, while zoom still hasn't clearly stated what "around" means in actual numbers.

content of the last posts is: gamma is to complicated, expensive and broken to provide a meaningfull content to the game.

i wished the DEVs had given one of their parting members the whole package for a rebalance and reboot with a different philosophy...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Dissenting note on possibility. To do it in a sane time you would need a team but for insane its possible.

The building blocks are a tradeable item so being reliant on the seeding prices is not strictly required. But knowing someone who can make them would simply things a ton.

Its possible to do with a scarab, lithus mk2 is not strictly required. Lithus mk2 involves lvl 10 piloting extensions. That alone means f ton of ep. Lithus mk1 is too small and is inapplicable.

A way more easier access mode would be to talk ourself to maintain/expand on somebody elses base. Or band together to make a slightly more exciting timeshare cottage (if one can tolerate "our" instead of "mine").

However a lot of other activites in Nia also have a element that connects to other activities despite the sake of them. That is when you combat missions you can have fun doing them and get NIC and chips! However having bases scratches only the fun of having bases. It doesn't really do anything. (There is a small theorethical chance that labour costs on gamma and overall economic throughpout could be higher. However all other alternatives have very near 0 defence budjet needs while gamma has substantial).

the amount of time and resources it takes to build a gamma base you could just alpha mine to make up for the extra cost to produce on alpha.  No real "Need" to have a gamma base other than to say you have one.