Re: New devblog: Extension Point system upgrades

Naismith wrote:

At this point re-doing the game engine for better graphics (the least important aspect) would be a better and more productive idea then giving more EP to people who don't want to play your game for more then 1,59 hours in the first place.

There's 5 people posting there, and out of those 5 theres only 1 who actually plays the game anymore.

Right on the money here. I have been saying to update the GUI at least, for the past year or so. Grinding for EP is just a desparate attempt to please a few whiners who never have a clue what a sandbox mmo is all about-
-Inequality creates need and connects people

RIP PERPETUUM

DEV Zoom wrote:
logicalNegation wrote:

What's next after the EP upgrade?

Probably Syndicate robots.

\o/

Any estimate on when we are getting that test server tool for the mix and matching then?

Reading this signature fills you with determination.

Am I the 1/5 who plays? big_smile

Thank you for the update Zoom.  I look forward to these developments.

Celebro wrote:
Naismith wrote:

At this point re-doing the game engine for better graphics (the least important aspect) would be a better and more productive idea then giving more EP to people who don't want to play your game for more then 1,59 hours in the first place.

There's 5 people posting there, and out of those 5 theres only 1 who actually plays the game anymore.

Right on the money here. I have been saying to update the GUI at least, for the past year or so. Grinding for EP is just a desparate attempt to please a few whiners who never have a clue what a sandbox mmo is all about-
-Inequality creates need and connects people

Actually I think the graphics themselves are still excellent, quite happy with them.
What does need updating desperately is the Font/GUI resolution and scaling.

Oh, and the balance patch... That was an unbelievably poor effort.

Fix those and add some new content, static and dynamic (something like 2/3 PVE 1/3 PVP).
Add some Islands and increase the options for getting onto  and off them.
Finally, Bots and Modules.

Yes it's a big list, I know the EP thing will be a good idea for when we get some population back, but almost any of the above would have been a better first choice for things to fix.

I'll continue to pay subs on all my accounts and hope everything works out.
Thanks for all the effort and thanks for not giving up.

BeastmodeGuNs wrote:

Any estimate on when we are getting that test server tool for the mix and matching then?

Unfortunately the test server had to be sacked for the foreseeable future (budget reasons), so the mixing and matching will be mostly done by me. I'll post them in a blog along with the general traits of the faction, and you can of course suggest combinations if you feel something should still get in.

I agree with Dark about the graphics. Who are these mythical people - have they not seen a green island in full sun?We have stuck with Perp because we think it has been great value for money.

That said there was some decisions that accelerated a number of people leaving and it wasn't anything to do with ep. It was a poorly thought out balance patch and a perceived stop in the content. To this day I have not heard anyone from the Dev's address the balance patch that many had criticized. Perhaps all that was needed was to split ewar into  racial modules (eg a module specific to blue, green or yellow) both ecm and eccm. What emerged was a nerf by someone who clearly did not play, where green pilots had to turn into yellow pilots.

I to agree with Dark "Fix those and add some new content, static and dynamic (something like 2/3 PVE 1/3 PVP).
Add some Islands and increase the options for getting onto  and off them. Finally, Bots and Modules."
That is what the population has been asking for years.

Add your vanity rubbish for those willing to spend money on it "Pinks gropho etc" and ep boosters and ep/spark content DLC and there is a cash shop.

This sounds a lot of work at this time, but it has been in the pipe line talked about for at least 2 years.

I have enjoyed this game and hope to continue to do so.

take heart Zoom, Kia Kaha (be strong)

Damn Kiwi tongue

But I would love to hear from Zoom why the "balance" patch never reverted & why they still choose to ignore the unanimous condemnation of it.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

There should have definitely been a "Sorry we screwed up" post about the balance patch by now. I'm also interested in hearing Devs thoughts on the balance.

Even if they reverted the balance tomorrow, what about all the people who a) bought EP to cross-spec/respec into yellow OP b) who spent EP leveling yellow? It's a bloody lose-lose situation no matter which way you flip it.

But for the good of the game, the bigger "lose" would be leaving the atrocious balance in-game imho.

Personally I'm more concerned about the whack-a-mole development. One month they're working on field terminals. Halfway through reworking Beta, they change their mind and swap to Syndicate bots. Halfway through they swapped to something else. Then something else. Then new EP system upgrade. Then now back to Syndicate bots. That might not be the case internally, but as an outside observer I get the impression they're working on 10 different things and that will take forever for 3 guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RcVzevWX4U

I speak broken English.

Honestly the balance patch has been blown up to be the sole scapegoat for the current low number of players, because that's convenient. Even if it had some bad decisions in it, I think the majority of the changes was good (light/assault boost, role bonuses) so there is no need for a rollback. That said, with the introduction of Syndicate robots I will take a look at overall robot balance again and make changes if necessary.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Honestly the balance patch has been blown up to be the sole scapegoat for the current low number of players, because that's convenient. Even if it had some bad decisions in it, I think the majority of the changes was good (light/assault boost, role bonuses) so there is no need for a rollback. That said, with the introduction of Syndicate robots I will take a look at overall robot balance again and make changes if necessary.

Zoom,

I agree, the assaults got decent roles.  Light ewar bots have no survivablity versus other lights.  Mechs/Heavy pilots don't have range to engage without suffering from explosion damage problems.  Meaning the 3% to 5% really gimped the versatility of different fittings in order be able to do anything else but the same old cookie cutter.  Seth mk2 still out dps mesmers with greater range.  Long range tackle is not viable(desperately needed with mk2 velocity 10 mech mk2s).  And players in Pvp feel that.  More importantly there's no easier counter on the table to the cookie cutter except:  bring more dudes.  Don't think we don't remember the ewar nerf!!

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Zoom: It is called balancing for a reason. When one faction hold all the strengths (red/yellow) there is a clear inbalance. When the heavies have little to no weaknesses (ewar nerf) we get another inbalance. I look foward to hear on a review blog on this matter.

RIP PERPETUUM

Zoom, have thought about creating a (very)short survey on why people REALLY quit?

For example, if player is not online for a months or so(and don't have a booster), send the email with somethig like
"We're sad that our game is not enjoying enough for you anymore. Can you answer a couple of questions so we can make it better in a future?
Why are you quit the game?
- It's too hard to learn
- Too repetitive in PvE and boring
- Balance doesn't feel right
- Tired of being killed in PvP
- Graphics is too old
- Leveling system is too slow
- Don't like the community
- My friends aren't playing
- Real life reasons
- Other(describe below)"

The statistics can show what's really needs to be done first, without assumptions and descussions.

I still hope at some time in the future Perpetuum will have more people.

Now the EP news probably will interest the summer sale steamlings and the Syndicate robots will keep them ingame for another month.

Lets hope!

The survey what Gekko say is really important, if that is possible.(I heard EVE did some survey about the leaves, and they try to figure out what to do for the newcomers.)

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

DEV Zoom wrote:

Zoom,

I truly and sorry that you feel this way.

This shows the incredible disconnect that you have, and continue to have with PVP balance.
A complete lack of understanding of how speed effects mobility and tactics. 

Also your lack of looking at stats to see what types of bots are being used, and HOW they are being used. 
Killboards are free balancing tools that should of been looked at frequently.

Your roll bonus that you touted, matter very little, as per the speed that you simply do not understand.  Couple this with a complete lack of understanding of demobs and what to do with them....poof.

This balance patch was the hammer, that drove the final nails into the coffin.

I am Perpetuum.

If i understood everything right: DeVs made a great butthurt for the veterans. Good one wink

About the patch: it's a brilliant idea. It's enough a EP *** for newbies. They have to be equal and able to resist.

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

Perpetuum wrote:

Zoom,

I truly and sorry that you feel this way.

This shows the incredible disconnect that you have, and continue to have with PVP balance.
A complete lack of understanding of how speed effects mobility and tactics. 

Also your lack of looking at stats to see what types of bots are being used, and HOW they are being used
Killboards are free balancing tools that should of been looked at frequently.

Your roll bonus that you touted, matter very little, as per the speed that you simply do not understand.  Couple this with a complete lack of understanding of demobs and what to do with them....poof.

This balance patch was the hammer, that drove the final nails into the coffin.

Ignorance is curable, Stupidity is not.
The "Planet of the Apes" is not science fiction, is a daily reality.
All is in "The Matrix".
See Beyond the Obvious.

94 (edited by Race Drones 2016-06-04 06:10:48)

DEV Zoom wrote:

...so there is no need for a rollback.

^^ Good for Headstone Epitaph.

DEV Zoom wrote:

... I think ...

What do you think or believe has nothing to do versus facts.

Anyway, New Players love missiles, don't matter if they read or not the tutorial, THEIR LOVE MISSILES, don't matter if they race choice is industrial, they like and love missiles.

Check that !!.

All is in "The Matrix".
See Beyond the Obvious.

Inda wrote:

I heard EVE did some survey about the leaves, and they try to figure out what to do for the newcomers.

EVE make surveys every six months to active players, and one when you are leaving.

All is in "The Matrix".
See Beyond the Obvious.

I think that idea with EP gain can be setup good, or bad into game.

One important reason for me to join this game, was that the EP system allows me as player with a life out of game to compete with player that have no other life than sitting in game on EP level. I don't care about 10-20% difference, but you know why there are so many games, were you could buy maxed level chars.

I don't like the idea, that the new system this might allow new player to control HM MK2 in the first week, as there would be no reward left in the second week playing, not to speak about second month.

But I fight since introduction of "Log-in-EP" for some more need to get the EP, than just 5 second login

It has just to be assured, that it is not frustrating for one side, eg ensure that one h of activity a day gives more EP than just 1% of daily progress, on the other hand side I would not like if someone doing 1 week activity  had after this week more EP than someone buying booster for 2 month after those two month without activity (thats ~130k).

you guys are so narrow sighted.
Its not about "beeing competitive" part.

i have seen so many new player over the years that have just stopped playing because playing didn't help them progressing their character.

especially after spending that huge amount of starter EP without knowing what that does,
without a way to re-roll and start new and then getting told in chat, that they will merely get a few EP every day at a fixed time.

that often resulted in that player logging off, loging in at the next day, spending the EP, or waiting for another day because it was not enough... this continues until they are more often offline then online... and then keep forgetting about the game.

in the past, you had to grind endessly in a frustrating way with a light bot to afford an assault with equip your extensions would allow.
nowadays, you have to run a few missions and you can buy a mech but not drive it because you have spent your EP on something that seemed more worth at the time you had them.

the whole pvp part of the game as driving factor for this discussion is moot, as these days most player will play arena pvp games if they are looking for adrenaline.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

You can have grind for ep and it be successful, you can have grind for resources and it be successful. Where this falls down is in two places, firstly where do you spend the ep and resources? The market has been useless for years. Secondly how engaging is the grind?

Now the first problem is easy to fix, nic sell orders and buy orders of everything on the market is long overdue. With good pricing levels you still leave a lot of room for producers and you at least move the pain from acquisition and provide a market to sell.

The second is a lot more difficult but the basic concept is possible - most successful grinding games take you on a journey doing pretty much the same thing. It seems different because they change the type you fight as your level gets higher. Perpetuum makes a different attempt trying to do the eve method which is more about back story and the beauty of the place you fight in.

Now it's possible to see the journey to level 6 as an effort based ep booster with the whole journey maybe giving you a million ep. There are problems with that of course - ep is transferable over characters and so you could get your ep up to level 6, reprocess your character and rinse repeat for endless ep. Perhaps some sort of character based ep pool from missions would be better.

Once again though is that the real problem is that missions are not engaging enough to be the reason to play. Before the mission nerf(s) when people did squad missions solo then the difficulty level WAS engaging and the payout WAS worth it this just shows that it's within the devs power in a very small time to just fix the difficulty, fix the payouts and sort out the market for perhaps a more engaging game.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Leary wrote:

- (Kickstarter campaign)
- Rename the game Perpetuum Evolved Reborn Enhanced Remastered Whatever.
- Free to play
- Reset the server, fresh new start
- (New engine)
- Pink Gropho $$
- New bots
- Give players reasons to fight
- New devblog every month, even to say hello
- Small but regular updates
- Yes you need to work hard to succeed

No way? Game over.

Now we have to wait another few months to get an update, maybe with some terrible/ok/good content, but players will never come back.

http://steamcharts.com/app/223410 - Do I want to play an MMO with 10 players online?

The name of Perpetuum is doomed.

I'm cute.

I kind of hope I'm wrong, but pretty sure this the only thing I see breathing any life into the game.  At some point, banging your head against the same wall over and over gets old.  Do you realize that after ewar mechs were introduced like 6 months after release there's been two new robots added to the game, and both haulers?  We've not seen any new modules since what, interference droppers? Finally got black robots, but then bam... 400 hours to grind for one.

It's time to *** or get off the pot. The cow is about dried up. Either man the *** up and do what needs doing instead of bullshit patches that hardly matter or shut it down.

Guys, i think you're forgetting the most important part to all of this.  Just because the ex-girlfriend puts on a new dress and some make-up, she's still fat and ugly.  We must realize they don't have the development team to keep people interested.  Even if they get the next content out, which is syndicate robots, what's after that?  So syn robots keep the population interested for what 2 weeks maybe a month what are you gonna do after that?  Maybe it's time to take perpetuum off the shelf collect some money come back hard core with tons of content with some in reserve.  Right now we the players are stranded in the middle of a desert and the only water(content) is a dried up well.  Time to cut the cord guys.