Topic: Death Match Arena??

Hello, Nia community this is your local Police captain speaking.. This goes out to the Last Standing Spartan "Zoom" .. I understand you might be under a great deal of pressure else where in RL or even in game.. Running a Game basically by your self and only hiring contract workers when needed can be rough .. However i was wondering how much work would really be needed to make a death match arena.. like a separate island you can port to just for it.. maybe make some sort of que you can join or sorts.. I'm not sure the mechanics/ work needed. But could't you maybe use the old tournament island . Since its already programmed in?..  I'm sure this would be a hit.. Pvp is a really fun nitch in this game Its why most of us play it.. So since such low population, and the apparent whining that goes on when sap warfare is used in the game.. So Is this possible ZOOM?  Some sort of pvp arena .. Ofc this is a random thought and I'm sure some one else has already posted something similar in the past.. Open to suggestions and Help.. I Think this would be a really fun idea.. Log in,  port of to a pvp island, get in que and pvp.. wether it be 1v1 2v2 3v3 4v4. etc and have some sort of ingame ranking for epeen swinging.. And ofc make it Full loot drop.. Maybe generate some life into game.. make people go mining and farming again...

Re: Death Match Arena??

Since the feasibility is a big issue what is the difference between this death match arena and just player run/funded tournament?

From the experience I have been having just paying NIC for a winner of "shoot others" type of event hasn't been a super hit. You can fault that me in that arkhes are crappy and in order to really count it would need to be consistent and predictably available. What I am saying is that the the gameplay pay off is suspect/unknown while the development time is pretty certain.

Then there is also the issue of who pays for the loss of the bots? If you are stupid/ambitious you can spend your earned NIC however you like including giving them out for arbitrary reasons. However if this island/arena includes stuff like free replacements and/or NIC generation then it will compete with PvE missioing and such which can be a little less straightforward.

One can also argue that this is already in game and called beta. If you don't need any reasons to lose your bots rather than to lose your bots you can already do that. but what woul be the difference. To prevent 2v1? Or have some kind auto-balancing between sides pitted against each other?

Rolafen Azec wrote:

Since the feasibility is a big issue what is the difference between this death match arena and just player run/funded tournament?

From the experience I have been having just paying NIC for a winner of "shoot others" type of event hasn't been a super hit. You can fault that me in that arkhes are crappy and in order to really count it would need to be consistent and predictably available. What I am saying is that the the gameplay pay off is suspect/unknown while the development time is pretty certain.

Then there is also the issue of who pays for the loss of the bots? If you are stupid/ambitious you can spend your earned NIC however you like including giving them out for arbitrary reasons. However if this island/arena includes stuff like free replacements and/or NIC generation then it will compete with PvE missioing and such which can be a little less straightforward.

One can also argue that this is already in game and called beta. If you don't need any reasons to lose your bots rather than to lose your bots you can already do that. but what woul be the difference. To prevent 2v1? Or have some kind auto-balancing between sides pitted against each other?

Well you answered several of your own questions. I think the last paragraph lays out the reasoning more or less though. Nothing about PvP on Beta/Gamma is fair, and fair does not equate to balanced (nor should it/they be). An arena would presumably mean gambling (which I already talked about semi-recently and I'm sure has been suggested elsewhere a lot) and "fair" fights with restrictions on what could be used (i.e. no one getting nexus boosts and whatnot).

This *could* be organized by players as is, we've done it in the past using chassis scanners and whatnot, but having a game-mechanic enforced area means no one can cheat. I'm not sure it would help the population much but it might help established players with a reason to log in. It was me and Sasaki or something like that in gen chat last night for awhile. Lowest I've ever seen it, but, it was a week night, it is approaching summer and some places are on spring break, etc.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

http://i.imgur.com/VejunC0.png

lol

-Ensi

Join the pelistal Army!

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear