Topic: Improve the starter player experience.

Hello guys!

I think we should think out something about to help new players more, they just come to the game in Alpha 1 and they dont really see any activity there.

Cant we have 1 Island for starter players or do you guys have any idea how to improve that?

So 1 starter Island could help more the incentives to set market orders there, and the players see many more interactivity and more player around.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

2 (edited by Goffer 2016-01-02 09:32:01)

Re: Improve the starter player experience.

In fact we have 1 island for all starter for the first ~2h. And if you think about the following time, we had something similar in the times of the golden triangle, when you could visit all 3 Starter Terminal within 15 min.

So I agree that starter should see more activity in game, but I don't think that this could be improved by having all starting on same island in "real game"

Also, I dont think the faction choices is valid anymore, the starter players cant decide how they want to play.

Syn - tec robots for everyone at the start and make a starter island.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

It would be helpful, as stated many times before if everyone who is logged in stays in general chat.
I know as a new player, I had no idea you could leave general chat, and was a bit depressed with the low number of players I saw.  In fact, this is the only game I have ever played, with even all my gray hairs on top of my head, where people can leave general chat.  If if no one talks at least you see there are more then 10 people in the game.

More PVE content, again as stated many times before.
Have some kind of contest or event on the Alpha 1 islands.  Arkhe races??  Easter egg hunt??  Explore the 4 corners of the island, win a prize?

5 (edited by Celebro 2016-06-02 18:33:48)

The starter experience is a boring wall of text that only the most patient aand dedicated will go through it. Perfect example of the kart before the horse. Players needs to get motivated first on a fun experience then they will invest time and dedicate it to learn by playing and enjoying the game.

I have tried the newbie island there is too much text to much to learn at once, add more visual cues and become more intuative otherwise just remove it and players start out on the main alpha  islands.

RIP PERPETUUM

Have to agree with Celebro, they should have done was have a better tutorial in the main open world, Just basic doesn't need to be to in depth.
The "noobie" island however might have been a nice addition to the game as a "virtual test island" say similar to what planetside 2 has with the virtual test continent where you can try out all the fun stuff & test things out.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

7 (edited by Annihilator 2016-06-03 19:12:02)

if i remember it correctly, the starter island was a comunity request, and most of you thought it was a good idea.
can be mastaken though, because it happend already long time ago

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I have done some experimenting on trying to get good PR among newbies or ativate them somehow. But it ends up being charity that costs me personally. Game design wise the incentives for established players to provide content for newer players could be looked into. In a way this is a porblem in that a lot of players have accumulated enough of stuff that they don't look forward to gathering more. This makes things like demand for titan ore drop drastically.

However it could be arguerd this is a structural problem of all MORPGs. In general they require a greater number of staring player vs estabilshed players. That makes their economy stable as long as the player base is growing. But it is hard to make sustainable if the rate fo leasivng playetr is equal to the amount of starting players.

Celebro wrote:

The starter experience is a boring wall of text that only the most patient aand dedicated will go through it. Perfect example of the kart before the horse. Players needs to get motivated first on a fun experience then they will invest time and dedicate it to learn by playing and enjoying the game.

I have tried the newbie island there is too much text to much to learn at once, add more visual cues and become more intuative otherwise just remove it and players start out on the main alpha  islands.

I suggested something like this on steam had to pop in here to repost again.

Just have the very basics on the starter island, like WASD move and target combat drones.
Then have the door open after the new player gets a chance to drive the heavy mechs from each faction.
If a player wants to learn more things like artificat hunting or mining or industry they can go back to the training island and do those.

It does the game no good to have 5 out of 6 new players start the game, quit after playing 1 hour and leave a negative review on steam because they can not or do not get through the tutorial.