1 (edited by Inda 2015-11-11 15:59:29)

Topic: 5th Anniversary Gift to Perpetuum - Marketing Campaign

Hello everyone!

Maybe some of you heard my "old" plan about some gift to the DEVs, I just shift that idea to another. Many of us probably think one thing is needed for Perpetuum, more player. And also some gamers say, we just need some marketing to the game and this is missing.

So as you figured out I will start something like that, and my idea is: we will collect as many money as we can for Marketing purpose and ask Marketing Agency (I already have one (Y-Shift)) to spend that money.

MINIMUM TARGET NUMBER: ~700 EUR ( ~800 USD)
CAMPAIGN START DATE: 2016 xx xx

More is welcome later, we discuss.

I will ask somebody to start an payment account for that, I also would see as TRANSPARENT as we can so no money will left behind!

Thats it, ask me if you need any info!

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

2 (edited by Inda 2015-11-11 12:19:02)

Re: 5th Anniversary Gift to Perpetuum - Marketing Campaign

(reserved)

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

I will support with 10 EUR at least.

Energy to Earth!

I'll support but this is really not needed Inda.  One of the biggest marketing tools is at the hands of the developer.  If They are serious about a sustainable population we would see some serious effort to push out the changes in missions to Betas then when the winter steam sale hits, push the game for 75% off.  Yes 75%.  Get people through the door and support a community.  Now during the sale there is a things we can ALL do.  LOGIN, even if you just idle your characters in general chat, push the online numbers up and stay focused for a week or two with keeping as many logged in to general chat as possible.  Inda honestly, this is in the Devs hands.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

I will be happy to handle the money for you, and make sure it goes toward a worthwhile goal.

I would see any other opinions and we can further discuss. Maybe you are right. The Campaing would start at 2016 somewhere so we have time.

I just constantly searching the possibilities about the game success.

Energy to Earth!

The best possibility for game success is actively playing Perpetuum instead of actively playing something-else.

Can't advertise 10 people playing, might as well give your money to me and I'll punch you in the d*ck.

I can support this with $20 or so.

It's looks like a kickstarter for the game.
Beause the first reason for low population is that Perpetuum is a top secret project.

Inda,
I applaud your desire to help this game, but I do not think the players paying for marketing will help.  The game had a big steam green light, followed by a steam launch then a steam sale, but we are no better off then before.  What marketing will get new players to come AND STAY?
You recruit the most new players, do you ask them what they like, don't like and why they never stay?  It is not that we can't get new players, its that we can't keep players coming back to play.
If players want to 'donate' to the game, it should be a coordinated effort by the game developers to make a path for that.  Crowdfunding and other ideas have been discussed in other posts, but w/o dev interaction, it is just pissing $$ away (w/o the punch to the ***).

Altera,

Thank you the response, I think closely to the same, but many players said before MARKETING, MARKETING, MARKETING, so I thought taht would help.

Also I will try to further explain a bit.

Energy to Earth!

While it's obviously nice to see you trying to help, based on our past experience with paid "marketing campaigns"... basically this:

Altera wrote:

it is just pissing $$ away

I like the idea of Inda even if it has to be proper done to avoid "pissing $$ away".

The last 24 month I see a constant flow of player entering and leaving due to "too less activity".
You could not hold every of these players, because this game has features that fit not to every player. I think it is normal that 50% of player joining this game, learn that this game it is not their style of play. Some leave due to "XX stinks" "YY is bad" and "always ZZ". Some will leave anyway because of a new game popping on market and other will leave because of RL changes. There is no way any advert can keep those parts, but with good placed advert you can avoid those leaving due to lack of activity.

Only Devs know exactly how many copies they sell per month, or how many agent log in every week, but every day I spend some more time I meet some new players and they often ask why it is so empty.

13 (edited by Inda 2015-11-12 09:04:08)

Further explanation:
(I spent some time also to about Marketing possibilities some of you heard that I think, so there was a possibilities to represent Perpetuum in a gamer conference (Play IT Budapest), and my another Idea was stopped by University Teachers, beacuse they say that is not enough interesting and such, so I put many efforts on that idea still and I am on the searching state again.)

))) to gift I wanted to collect around 100-200 EUR, so this could go to Marketing also

))) the Game probably will change a bit after Beta 2 is finished and Spark is gone and the Roadmap 2015 news hit, so I think this will be the time we could try muiltipy the affects of what they can do about marketing

I am not a fan about useless marketing, and I also dont think so if the player retention is not solved there will be future for Perpetuum, but I know something we will run over the time, I will put my effort for 2016 and after I have to step back and let see how things goes.

Good to see the conversation started, lets go forward!

Energy to Earth!

Goffer wrote:

I like the idea of Inda even if it has to be proper done to avoid "pissing $$ away".

The last 24 month I see a constant flow of player entering and leaving due to "too less activity".
You could not hold every of these players, because this game has features that fit not to every player. I think it is normal that 50% of player joining this game, learn that this game it is not their style of play. Some leave due to "XX stinks" "YY is bad" and "always ZZ". Some will leave anyway because of a new game popping on market and other will leave because of RL changes. There is no way any advert can keep those parts, but with good placed advert you can avoid those leaving due to lack of activity.

Only Devs know exactly how many copies they sell per month, or how many agent log in every week, but every day I spend some more time I meet some new players and they often ask why it is so empty.

You wont retain new players without a playerbase for them to integrate in to.

You wont have a playerbase without a reason for a reasonable number of people to either join or return at once.

Nothing in the development cycle for this year (which in perpetuum terms will run till 2017) has that pulling power.

Your never gonna bring in enough new players at once to do that, its just not going to happen.

You might bring back enough old people to do that if you pandered to their whims with a (decent) rebalance and some new bots and weapons. You would have to advertise it right and tease it coming, meeting development deadlines and build anticipation. The community trust in development is shot so it would be a big ask. Even then the ability to produce this kind of communicated on time content has so far never been demonstrated.
FTP would bring in an influx and possibly even keep them but you’re talking 18 months of development to make a FTP game work and still make money.

All in all the game is ***.

Months ago I made a post basically offering the devs free money for agreed new content and they didn’t want it. Pissing money away on marketing is just a waste of time until you can get the developers to wake up and change how they do business. Can you imagine what would happen to Eve’s playerbase if they promised 25 new changes by Christmas and delivered none of them? If they made a patch that completely destroyed balance in PvP and meant that everyone used the same three ships? Eve would die a death. And it should.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

I see one important thing here.

The players need some help when they start the game, seems like many players would stay if they would get personal help, I know not everyone can get that, but without the game changes that, we need to do, and not many players have the time to "supervise" new players.

Energy to Earth!

Biggest help to players would be if Vets stopped recruiting them into their 214646th alliance-against-POE and just left the newbies figure out the game at their own pace in their own time.

They're new not stupid, let them make their own corps they'll ask in help chat if they want something.

It's either join us to defeat POE and get destroyed by them, or we will gank and harass the sh*t out of you on our own because you don't want to join our fail-cascade-crusade.

Vets outside POE simply don't leave any choice for the newbies.

I believe pvp could be very exciting and the game has what it takes. But this is game is ruined and we all know  by who, it´s by corps like CiR, -77- and PHM. - by Fu ManChu

Best marketing that can be done for this game can all be done for FREE. Reddit, Facebook, MMORPG.com etc. Game needs trial accts again though. Save the advertising for when there is something to advertise.

Zoom how about an email to all inactive accts that are now free to play letting them know whats been going on and they can now play for free? I know its been suggested before but dont know if anything was ever done.

Aye Pod wrote:

Zoom how about an email to all inactive accts that are now free to play letting them know whats been going on and they can now play for free? I know its been suggested before but dont know if anything was ever done.

That went out when the payment model change happened.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Aye Pod wrote:

That went out when the payment model change happened.

Zoom, u must email every time when new devblog or update... It is not difficult after all, right?

Chemist wrote:

Zoom, u must email every time when new devblog or update... It is not difficult after all, right?

We do, but that only goes to those who subscribed to our newsletter, otherwise it would be spamming.

Trion, square enix and blizzard spam the *** out of me even though I'm not subscribed to their newsletter and guess what?  I just made 70$ worth of purchases at all of them.  Don't be afraid of a little spam.  Goes a long way.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Naismith wrote:

Biggest help to players would be if Vets stopped recruiting them into their 214646th alliance-against-POE and just left the newbies figure out the game at their own pace in their own time.

They're new not stupid, let them make their own corps they'll ask in help chat if they want something.

I dont think so, I think the opposite, we would have much more vets to help newbies to play around and stay, the newbies wont really stay if they dont get the goals, what the vets can point out imo.

Energy to Earth!

DEV Zoom wrote:
Chemist wrote:

We do, but that only goes to those who subscribed to our newsletter, otherwise it would be spamming.

lifehack for Zoom:

SELECT * FROM subscribers
UPDATE subscribers SET newsletters = REPLACE(newsletters, 'NO', 'YES')
commit

do newsletter email big_smile

25 (edited by Chemist 2015-11-13 19:40:24)

I checked my personal account ... I do remember that the plug newsletter. Now she is off ... Strange ...

This is an occasion to renew your subscription to the newsletter to all its subscribers. This will mean taking care of them. 8-]