Topic: Artifacts rework (24 July Dev blog discussion)

The proposed changes here could be as infuriating as you believe the old system to be.

I fear that requiring exact tile - or even within one or two - whilst the mechanic "always [has] a certain amount of inaccuracy, to not make it too easy" will make artifacting like trying to find a small amount of Titan with a Syntec scanner.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the current system personally. If the game had a tool similar to the FOOM tool or Doek's tool on sequer.nl and artifacts displayed unique identifiers to distinguish between signals from artifacts of the same type it would be fine.

I definitely think that balancing artifacts is a good way to make real differences from Alpha I through to Gamma. Why have only three tiers? Why not five?

Re: Artifacts rework (24 July Dev blog discussion)

Clarification: the effect of having a certain amount of inaccuracy depends on the distance from the artifact when you do a scan. Which means that if you are close enough when scanning, the results will be accurate enough that it will lead you to the exact tile. In practice if your result shows you a 100% accuracy, you can be sure that your next scan at that point will pop the artifact.

But we could also cut the last scan and pop the artifact when you step on the tile, though in that case you would accidentally pop artifacts just by walking around, if you're really lucky smile I don't see that as a problem though.

DEV Zoom wrote:

But we could also cut the last scan and pop the artifact when you step on the tile, though in that case you would accidentally pop artifacts just by walking around, if you're really lucky smile I don't see that as a problem though.

Except triggering observer sites when you least expect it. big_smile

I think it would be hilarious if it happened in the middle of some large PVP fight, people accidentally stepping on observer landmines etc.

5 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2015-07-25 13:40:29)

Naismith wrote:

I think it would be hilarious if it happened in the middle of some large PVP fight, people accidentally stepping on observer landmines etc.

LOL LOL YES LETS DO IT lol

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Clarification of my clarification: the default inaccuracy is intended to prevent you from finding every artifact with only one scan. Equipment and extension efficiency will basically determine how far from an artifact will you get 100% accurate coordinates.

Would need to see it in action but I like the change, however, what I would like to search artifacts is less on mathematical and numbers and more on visual cues on the field.

RIP PERPETUUM

I don't really do artifacting so all I'm going to suggest is that the current system seems to be really hard for new  players to come to grips with, so any simplification on the process would be welcome.

9 (edited by logicalNegation 2015-07-25 16:16:51)

I like it as is.
But sadly I've seen many new players rage-quit in the tutorial because of artifacting.

Can we instead get rid of, or make optional (indicate very clearly it is Optional), the artifact training in the tutorial?
This way for players that need hand-holding can simply ignore this part and may or may not try it later in their game experience.  Meanwhile, those that do can reap the rewards for the effort they put in?

Making artifacting too easy will devalue the activity, and therefore the supply of products they yield (MK2's, etc.) will become much cheaper and more common.

Celebro wrote:

Would need to see it in action but I like the change, however, what I would like to search artifacts is less on mathematical and numbers and more on visual cues on the field.

How about a charge that sends like a ripple outward (like the ripple in a pond) and the general direction of the artifact is shown by a colored quadrant in the expanding outward circle, like a cone. ?

Why not make the ingame mechanic the same as the Sequer.nl mechanic????

How about a " treasure hunting" extension?  Like taking and classifying observer stashes at L10 in the extension.

Like if I walk over a tile that has a scientific wreckage 2 but I only have L5 extension it won't pop up, understand?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

How about, you activate a module and it shows you a random fragment of a map with an X on it. A player needs to find the location on the map, go there and activate the module again to get the artifact.

Something like that.

Could even take it further and mix it up by sometimes not giving any reward, but providing a new fragment of a map, perhaps from another nearby island with even better loot. Follow the breadcrumbs across Nia.

I've thought about this for a while.  Why don't you just make this "Really Simple"  Then scale the rewards?  from Alpha to Beta to Gamma?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:

I've thought about this for a while.  Why don't you just make this "Really Simple"  Then scale the rewards?  from Alpha to Beta to Gamma?

I think we have to guard against over simplification otherwise artifacting will could become a grind. At least at the moment it's engaging and challenging. Also you want something which is going to keep a player out on the terrain for a while, especially on Beta/Gamma.

I thought about a "live" scanner (new module maybe) which works exactly the same as the current mechanic but gives a readout of distance to artifacts updated as the player moves. A good balance, I think, between ease of grasping the concept and still challenging enough to stop it being boring.

well, all we need is the geoscanner beeing able to autocycle without ammo consumption... as well as for artifacting as for geoscanning.

btw, zoom, would it be possible to display the scan result as a cone instead of an arrow? incorporating the (in-)accuracy ?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear