Re: A prediction (about outpost locking)

I know there are those problems lemon. There are fixes but you can't balance a game at the moment based upon a couple of people who want to push folks from the game. In a game with twenty people that's crazy. Better to make the changes that create the space and just agree not to behave that way until the deva have time to put fixes in place to stop it.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Also,

I forgot that I have also chased corps to alpha and then intentionally sat with my bots on the top farming pots with the best locking times in the game to tag mobs and prevent alpha side farming.

I believe some of you have experienced this, but this is the type of thing that can and will ruin peoples taste for a game.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Lemon wrote:

Also,

I forgot that I have also chased corps to alpha and then intentionally sat with my bots on the top farming pots with the best locking times in the game to tag mobs and prevent alpha side farming.

I believe some of you have experienced this, but this is the type of thing that can and will ruin peoples taste for a game.

As far as i'm concerned that's textbook ingame harassment and should be dealt with by banning you and not balancing the game.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Zoom you and the Devs should be more involved in this discussion, ask some questions etc.

Or if you've made up your minds lock the topic and lets move on.

Judging by Zooms responses I think it's too early to tell.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Jita wrote:

When you talk about boosting beta but making the mechanics the same what you are actually doing is nerfing alpha as in relative terms they will be worse off.

Your nerfing alpha to such an extend that your essentially saying to the games player base that to play perpetuum at a reasonable level you must be willing to conduct 5am sap ops in gangs big enough to compete with whoever happens to rule the server.

This may be OK for some people but your just limiting your potential player base and the more dead the game becomes the more acute that limitation is as the folks who are left have to be 24 hours and care less. Its self diminishing defeatism.

Now if that's the game Zoom wants then fine, I'll shut the *** up and either wait for enough die hards to make the game successful or perpetuum to die. I honestly don't think it is like that though, I think broadening the appeal of beta to a wider player base is a good thing and that's why I'm talking about it.

It's easy for you to make it about people but for me it's just about the game catering to a play style that is not only popular but fits what I want to play.

Ville and Syndic, you guys disagree with this?

Naismith wrote:

Zoom you and the Devs should be more involved in this discussion, ask some questions etc.

Or if you've made up your minds lock the topic and lets move on.

Indeed, everything is on the table and it's pointless to go over the same arguments with different wordings for another year. Make a decision and let players focus on other issues.

Jita wrote:
Lemon wrote:

Also,

As far as i'm concerned that's textbook ingame harassment and should be dealt with by banning you and not balancing the game.

No, This is 'farming' in reality if I setup this fit I can be out damaged by a dmg build bot.

Something along the lines of loot being tied to majority dmg and not first tagging. (Similar to losing the loot if someone else does more dmg)

Undefeated 2013
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

Both sides have valid arguments. I'll get out the roadmap blog, and we'll see how you think about this matter after that.

Ofcourse I disagree with it, narrowing the gap between Alpha and Beta got us to this point where we are now. Countless corps and players vanished off the face of the earth when they got out to Beta and discovered they were better off staying on Alpha and farming spawns forever.

The game cannot move forward by any means if the Devs have to make it revolve around a 5-10 man corp being self-sufficient and relevant in the game.

Not all content should be accessible to solo players. Not all content should be accessible to 5-10 man corps that don't want to work together with anyone else.

Narrowing the gap between Alpha and Beta has been the guideline since 2011, there is a proven track record that if there is nothing for players to strive towards, they'll just get bored and go play something more fun.

It doesn't have to be exclusively vertical.

Space cannot be a problem because there is no competition for 10/15 outposts! Where are the wars for control of Norhoop? Why aren't we making joking remarks in C/D about Kentasomalia? Because nobody cares about stations that are more hassle managing SAPs every 10-16 hours then actual reward, on islands that are only better then Alpha by the fact there's Epriton there.

Go the other way. Make the gap between Alpha and Beta drastical. Make the gap between Beta and Gamma drastical too.

Give players something to fight over.

Unlocked outposts and reinventing the wheel from 2011 isn't "something to fight over".

Jita wrote:
Jita wrote:

When you talk about boosting beta but making the mechanics the same what you are actually doing is nerfing alpha as in relative terms they will be worse off.

Your nerfing alpha to such an extend that your essentially saying to the games player base that to play perpetuum at a reasonable level you must be willing to conduct 5am sap ops in gangs big enough to compete with whoever happens to rule the server.

This may be OK for some people but your just limiting your potential player base and the more dead the game becomes the more acute that limitation is as the folks who are left have to be 24 hours and care less. Its self diminishing defeatism.

Now if that's the game Zoom wants then fine, I'll shut the *** up and either wait for enough die hards to make the game successful or perpetuum to die. I honestly don't think it is like that though, I think broadening the appeal of beta to a wider player base is a good thing and that's why I'm talking about it.

It's easy for you to make it about people but for me it's just about the game catering to a play style that is not only popular but fits what I want to play.

Ville and Syndic, you guys disagree with this?

DEV Zoom wrote:

Both sides have valid arguments. I'll get out the roadmap blog, and we'll see how you think about this matter after that.

Surely you have some questions?

There's nothing wrong with having an active dialogue here between Devs and the community as a whole.

Some of the best improvements to the game happened because of Dev-held roundtables and listening to the entire community, not a few individuals.

This game only has 5 - 15 man corps left. Nobody is talking about making it revolve around them, just about making it inclusive of them. Your nuts.

If 5-15 doesn't cut it, join an alliance or merge into another corp or recruit.

The game needs expanding and growing subculture communities, not bittervet autist cliques forming up for a few losses every 3 months before buggering off to EVE.

What % of people quits the game because the vet corps have no reason whatsoever to risk recruiting anyone?

Every post you make confirms why this change needs to happen for this game and community to survive and have am alternative to the all or nothing displayed. From the multiple posts by lemon explaining with enthusiasm how he stopped people playing through grief play to your continual politically motivated bullshit post's from an imagination land where the game suddenly gets popular by catering to 1% of its possible appeal.base.

It would be funny if it wasn't hamstringing progress.

Let's cut down that attitude a little bit please, this topic has been such a constructive place so far.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Let's cut down that attitude a little bit please, this topic has been such a constructive place so far.

I think the arguments are played out anyway tbh.

It comes down to if you think there should be room on beta for 5 - 15/man corps or should it be alliances only.

Since you have already stated your preference I don't see what the holdups are.

The holdup is too many changes happening at once, without anyone being able to tell what the outcome will look like.

Evidently corps need reason to contest the Beta outposts, otherwise in 6 months there wouldn't have been tumbleweeds rolling around the 10 outposts we gave up to the community.

Also evidently, corps need reasons to recruit newbies into their organizations. It's a lot easier for a new player to integrate into a well oiled existing organization, then to hold our collective breath and hope 30 of them manage to bump into each other and make a new corporation.

With sparks gone, power projection will finally be solved. With field terminals Beta will be more accessible.

The key questions Zoom are;

- If you're a corp leader, why would you want to capture a Beta outpost? What does it give you?
- If you're a corp leader, why would you want to work with someone else's corporation?

Put yourself in our position and look at the problematic through our eyes.

Corp-leaders keep 99% of their corporations playing other games simply because there is nothing for them to do in-game, and it's been like that for a long time.

Like I said before, we've been progressively restricting the game back towards what it was on release over the past 3 years, it's proven that it doesn't work. Let's go the other way! Expand the game in all directions, add more reasons to play and fight.

Otherwise it'll be the same 20 dudes, except they'll be blueballing in untoucheable terminals until they can run out to huzzah an argano somewhere.

219 (edited by Lemon 2015-07-23 18:18:56)

Jita wrote:

From the multiple posts by lemon explaining with enthusiasm how he stopped people playing through grief play to your continual politically motivated bullshit post's from an imagination land where the game suddenly gets popular by catering to 1% of its possible appeal.base.

It would be funny if it wasn't hamstringing progress.

Enthusiasm?

That was not my intent with my post and you know it, I am a great story teller and could have gone into great detail.
I do have a little folder full of recordings, screenshots, and chat logs from these notable events and what lead up to them as the fuel for the fire.

What you may have failed to take away from my previous post is that, a player, when properly motivated and playing properly can achieve what they want. (Unlocking Danachrov from a corporation 30+ while solo, because they locked you out of your assets and stockpile)

The fact of the matter is that the average player, or group of average players, do not have the motivation, desire, or understanding, hell anything to walk the talk they bark.

This includes you, on a number of occasions.

Sorry if pointing this out gets your jimmies in a Russel.

So, Yes, I do not agree that simply opening a door(beta 1) and creating more ways for my 'abusive' play will be beneficial. I want to focus on this 'abuse' or 'exploit' as you like to call them and put mechanics or support in place to prevent what has happened time and time again.

Undefeated 2013

Naismith wrote:

Ofcourse I disagree with it...

Are you from Narnia? There's no corporations growing on Alphas, doing recruitment and all the shizzle, just waiting in line for the higher rewards. Solely increasing Beta rewards isn't a way to go. Content needs to be made more accessible and player-made content needs to be encouraged and balanced. As long as all the decent sandbox content requires 6+ months of growing up on Alphas, it's never going to appeal to the masses.

Once instant power projection is fixed, there will be room to do things.  I took a group out last night and tbh we walked used no teleport beacons.  It took me ~ 15 minutes moving a group.  Not to mention getting everyone fit and ready.  Most of the problems with unused outposts are going to fix themselves as veteran players can't be asked to do a pre hour form up and contest 1 sap.

So long as your industry can get locked out of a station, nobody is going to move industry there. Fact.

We do it.

@Ville: Doesn't make it easier to defend an outpost and it doesn't lessen the risk of getting your assets locked off in 2 days whenever a group of vets become bored, you go to holidays or say something very-very upsetting and disagreeable in public.

The bottom line is, that's not how sandboxes should behave. Sandbox MMO's should give players more freedom and choices than any other game. The only choices in Perpetuum is either live on Alpha or join an alliance.

Then you use "Diplomacy " it's super effective.